Beast of the East - Lawrence, Ma

It's actually both, Plan.

When BD isn't a threat (which is never, really), folks will not ##### about their show design because they aren't in front.

But, yeah. When they pull ahead with a show people don't like, they're gonna voice their opinion. The fact that they've been at the top for so long isn't the genesis of their discontent, but it does add fuel to the fire.

So...to follow this logic, then many people don't like their show this year. :blink: I think a more accurate statement is that many people liked their show, were entertained and more than pleased when they were bouncing around 4th place (some even suggested 5th or below) earlier in the season. But then, even with a better performed "same" show...suddenly they are in the crosshairs. Actually, I think we're both saying the same thing from different perspectives.

• Like 1

Well, if you walked out half way through you must have not been watching the actual show - because I don't care if you are old school or not, that show was just flat out incredible! Too bad for you.

I get the electronics issue, as I too don't care for it. But I have to say, even I was less offended by its use tonight than in past years, and I was and have been in general this season, pleased that most corps are putting at least a little emphasis on pleasing me the fan.

Too bad you can't embrace a little of the effort put out by the kids on the field. But I guess its not worth your money......oh wait - you didn't actually pay for the ticket!!! :doh:

Actually a large number of us did pay for our tickets in(I spent 140.00 on tickets), even though we had a free pass through the gate...(not sure if the poster did or not) I do not agree entirely with his post. He is entitled to his opinion and to be honest... A lot of the changes that have happened I am really not thrilled with. Electronics, vocals(recorded even).. Corps who do hardly any discernible drill..

Cadets were very visually entertaining, their brass was fantastic.. kill 90% of the electronics though please as they are distractions. You should not need to amplify any part of a corp that size.

That may be, but stick with me here, it's their own fans that fuel and fan the flames a lot of the time. When people are coming on here, saying, "You just hate us cause we win! 15!", and "you just don't get how amazing their show is, you're not paying enough attention", "you're all just haters", it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. And yes, I have seen all of those statements within the last year. Most of us have been around the activity, most much, much longer than me, so most people are pretty educated in shows, correct? So being told that they just don't get it, cause they aren't educated enough, is pretty insulting, to be honest. And after awhile, the wins don't matter. Are they great, sure! But it's not the only thing. My championship ring sits in its box, and only comes out maybe once a year or so. I still have the memories, of course, but the win really isn't all that important. I just think if everyone on here could act more like mature adults, then we'd see some more honest, and open discussions than the sniping we've gotten used to seeing.

I think it all boils down to the old saying of, "always be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat". If we saw more of that, then maybe we'd see less of the dissent among fans on here.

Eh - there are homers on both sides. Put yourself in the shoes of a 'BD defender' on dcp, and think about how old it would get to you. You are right, a lot of people have legit reasons for not liking BD, or better yet, liking bd, but not thinking they should win (which is the tone of the last few pages). Then you get some idiots saying that the blue devils march a high school band drill and are ruining drum corps and the judging is rigged and so on and so on. Should we all be able to ignore / rise above that stuff...yeah, but it's pretty tough sometimes...

• Like 4

Actually a large number of us did pay for our tickets in(I spent 140.00 on tickets), even though we had a free pass through the gate...(not sure if the poster did or not) I do not agree entirely with his post. He is entitled to his opinion and to be honest... A lot of the changes that have happened I am really not thrilled with. Electronics, vocals(recorded even).. Corps who do hardly any discernible drill..

Cadets were very visually entertaining, their brass was fantastic.. kill 90% of the electronics though please as they are distractions. You should not need to amplify any part of a corp that size.

The Cadets amplified very little - most of their electronic use was synthesized sounds, which i realize may be just as offensive to you...

You are right... You are not supposed to speak for the crowd... Here is why... you are sitting with your friends... people who's taste is probably similar to yours. I know I know you can hear the whole crowd right? No you can't...

Most of my friends don't go for drum corps. I sit in the middle of strangers with my wife and other family. I always thought I could hear the entire crowd, both sitting in the stands and back when I was out on the field. Guess not. But you seem to have been blessed with this unique and rare gift:

I was on the field in Miami in 1983 and when my corps lost to Garfield the crowd went nuts and shouted EAST EAST EAST EAST over and over. Were any of you there? can someone other than a BD alum confirm this? Does this not constitute Hometown Favoritism? BTW Jeff this was a DCI Crowd... You know, the ones that are drawn from all over.
Again, I was there in Miami Jeff and in 1983 we were not all that hated yet... YET WE WERE SUBJECTED TO A VERY POLARIZING DCI CROWD.

How do I acquire this gift? I realize it's pretty exclusive to a select few BD alumni and fans, since they chastise everyone else for "speaking for the crowd" while doing exactly the same thing with an astonishing confidence. Can someone not closely associated with the corps learn how to do this?

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 1

Eh - there are homers on both sides. Put yourself in the shoes of a 'BD defender' on dcp, and think about how old it would get to you.

I understand that, and if people are actually attempting to engage in a mature and coherent conversation, why should the Blue Devils record be dragged out? I've seen someone post an actual, honest critique of the show, and someone, (one of their alums) came on here, and said to their post, "this staff has such and such titles, I think they know more than you." Can you see how that rubs people the wrong way? Seeing the "15!" posts, and all the stuff about how they win, so we're all jealous, it gets just as old. I will admit, some people just don't like them, for whatever reason, but for the most of us, it's just a recent show design thing, not an "ABBD" thing. Promise.

I am glad some of you bought your tickets - your friend did not, as he stated in his post. And I, like Navillus, have my opinion as well. And I think it is harsh and closed minded to walk out like he claims he did. The kids on the field do NOT deserve that at all.

I don't care for the electronics either, but I can "hear" past that and enjoy what the Cadets did last night, and as I said, they actually did not offend me with their use of A&E last night.

Now - The lack of drill by some corps - this needs to not be rewarded. Do a little something.....PLEASE!!

Yeah...i also find it funny how someone is dragging up 1983 as proof of how the east coast always loves the cadets. I mean REALLY???. Dci was dominated for over a decade by the west coast (and to some degree the midwest), and FINALLY a corps from the easy coast has a shot at winning, OF COURSE theyre gonna go crazy. And frankly, comparing audiences from the 80's to today is apples and oranges anyway. Especially on the east coast...and just look at allentown tonight. I've received some of my WORST responses there....if you have a show people dont like...or if you dont connect with the crowd, they sit on their hands. That was us in 06, and I was in a corps FROM allentown. As far as the west coast - hopkins himself said that the 2007 cadets (narration and all) got some of their best reactions of the season in the Pacific NORTHWEST.

So yeah- does regional bias exist...sure, sometimes. But it is hardly the huge factor some are making it out to be...

I understand that, and if people are actually attempting to engage in a mature and coherent conversation, why should the Blue Devils record be dragged out? I've seen someone post an actual, honest critique of the show, and someone, (one of their alums) came on here, and said to their post, "this staff has such and such titles, I think they know more than you." Can you see how that rubs people the wrong way? Seeing the "15!" posts, and all the stuff about how they win, so we're all jealous, it gets just as old. I will admit, some people just don't like them, for whatever reason, but for the most of us, it's just a recent show design thing, not an "ABBD" thing. Promise.

Let them write '15' in bold and caps as much as they want. My sister called me after the age out ceremony following semis in 2008 and said a bunch of BD ageouts were chanting '13' during the ceremony. People that do crap like that eventually get what they deserve....

The Cadets amplified very little - most of their electronic use was synthesized sounds, which i realize may be just as offensive to you...

It is offensive to me for the following reasons..... I stated it was distracting, overdone, and while I completely disagree with using any pre-recorded effects (too Milli Vanilli for me...you get the reference?)it is also because I find it unnecessary. When you have so much musical talent on the field that makes that completely unnecessary. I mean my God, give your Brass ensemble some credit there, they could if allowed to, if written into their score probably make you think you were hearing a choir of angels sing. You may not have heard words, but #### if they do not have the power in that Brass to truly bring to life emotions and effects...

You make think I am begging for a return to the days of old, and in some ways I do and in others I do not. The size of the Corps is a good thing. The Pit.. good. Amplification for instruments in the pit to save them from and early death is a good thing. Pre recording =and use of synthesizers... just not needed, bad, totally going the wrong direction in my opinion.

Overall the Cadets stole the show. Visually and emotionally entertaining! I can still disagree with and not like aspects of the activity and their show. I am no purist, but some of you on the other end of that take too much offense to others opinions as well. Change is not always good, sometimes it is a mistake.