Devour Downtown 2011

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse is normally $46.50 for dinner so the $30 Devour Downtown deal is an excellent value. If you've not been and are a carnivore the place is worth a visit. You will receive a small round disc to place by your plate, when you want more meat you put the green side up and if you don't need more meat yet you put the red side up. Gauchos will come to your table with meat when they see the green side up on your disc. Looks like the Devour Menu includes ten of their meats. If you don't eat meat you can still join your carnivore friends because the salad bar (although pricey at $19.50) is very nice. FdC has a signature drink that is kind of like a mojito called caipirinha made with white rum. The summer version of the drink is a tropical caipirinha with a variety of muddled fruits. The mojitos are good too. http://www.fogodechao.com/index.php?id=160

I've never had a bad meal at Harry and Izzy's. Nice old school masculine vibe right beside St Elmo's, named for a couple of former owners of St. E's and owned by the same restaurant group. http://www.harryandizzys.com/main/

My best friends' opened a new restaurant on Massachusetts Ave last year called Mess on Mass Ave. Mesh has gotten great reviews on opentable.com and was named best new restaurant by either Nuvo or Indianapolis Magazine (can't remember which). Mesh has a $2 bar menu daily 3-6 pm and also late night. I've never had a bad meal there and I like the interior of the restaurant, very comfortable vibe. Might not be walking distance from Lucas Oil Stadium at almost two miles northeast of the stadium but is just a short cab ride away. It is about a 20 minute walk from Monument Circle in the heart of downtown Indy and Mass Ave is a nice street to walk with shops and galleries. http://www.meshonmass.com/

Ann Marie

We did Shula's Steakhouse last year on this deal and it was fantastic! We went on Wednesday night with no reservations and had to dine in the lounge instead of the dining room, but the food was the same and was delicious. I am debating about whether to go to Shula's again this year, try Ruth's Criss, or we always wanted to try Weber Grill. So many restaurants, so few days! :tongue:

Ruth Chris was good, like all their other ones, steaks were better than Shula but not as good as the Capital Grille (Dry aged) or Mortons (wet aged)

Weber Grill is OK, home of big food at moderate prices, not in the same league as the above though, more like an upscale TGIFs (good burgers though)

Adobo Grill is good, main-stream, upscale Tex-Mex, the table side guac was a highlight

McCormick and Schmick has good seafood

Other places on the Devour Downtown list that I visit often are McCormick and Schmicks and Oceanaire for seafood and Capitol Grille for old school steakhouse atmosphere. You would have a hard time finding a three course meal at any of those places for $30 regularly so if you don't mind chain restaurants that can be found in other cities these are good deals as well.

Ann Marie

Outside of Peter Luger, probably the best steak I've had.

Not trying to derail this thread...but seriously if you haven't been to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, you haven't lived.

Going again labor day weekend.

#winning

McCormick and Schmick has good seafood

OK, I'm biased because I work for M&S in Vegas, but you don't have to spend a lot of money there. If you're going early for some lot action, get to M&S before 4:00. The lunch menu has a "10 for $10" section, 10 items for $10 each. Their happy hour runs 3:30-6:30 and the specials are more food oriented than drink. You do have to buy something to drink, but a Coke or fresh squeezed lemonade will satisfy that requirement.

Go to http://mccormicksndschmicks.com, click on the locator, click on the Indy store and you can look at that day's menu online. All of our stores do it, so no matter where you travel where we have one you can see that store's menu that day. We have 95 restaurants in the US and six in British Columbia.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

This is a repeat post from other thread :smile:

I haven't seen The Canterbury Hotel listed, I hope I didn't book a dive room. I can't believe I booked this in February spaced out and didn't get tickets. I have a place to stay and nowhere to go.

I have been looking for tickets including going to different corps sites. The tickets are "not so good" right now including Ticket Master. It has been suggested a couple of times to go to the stadium that people are usually selling extra tickets they may have. I have never paid attention to that because I usually already have my tickets in hand.

I'm getting pretty nervous, has anyone ever noticed people selling tickets outside of the stadium?

This is a repeat post from other thread :smile:

I haven't seen The Canterbury Hotel listed, I hope I didn't book a dive room. I can't believe I booked this in February spaced out and didn't get tickets. I have a place to stay and nowhere to go.

I have been looking for tickets including going to different corps sites. The tickets are "not so good" right now including Ticket Master. It has been suggested a couple of times to go to the stadium that people are usually selling extra tickets they may have. I have never paid attention to that because I usually already have my tickets in hand.

I'm getting pretty nervous, has anyone ever noticed people selling tickets outside of the stadium?

Yes, there will be sellers and scalper galore. Decided on a whim to go to BOA Grand Nats one year. Drove up, walked up to the stadium as it was getting started, bought a GREAT seat for less than face value from a scalper and walked in. Took like 5 seconds and was done.

Also check craigslist. Several were posted and I bought mine today from a guy off there. Section 444, row 3. Not the best. But definitely better than what's available through ticketmaster.

On my budget, I go low class.

Three spots on South Street, east of the Greyhound station ...

1. White Castle even though the chain has discontinued the A-1 slider.

2. Slippery Noodle for tenderloin sandwiches.

3. The value menu at Arby's

Hammer of Nuvo recommends the large soup at Chase Tower Cafeteria, 2nd floor off Monument Circle.

The anti-cobb salad at Hard Rock Cafe is healthy and yummy.

If you stay for the Saturday Lucas Oil encore, only Steak N Shake will be open. Nearly all other downtown kitchens close at about the same time the encore ends.