Indianapolis & LOS tips

The Indy restaurant scene has finally started to take off in the past few years, but quality downtown options are still limited - particularly when it comes to ethnic food. Most of the best dining options in the city will require a drive. But there are some good things downtown, more than enough satisfy a drum corps fan for one weekend. A few things that haven't been mentioned yet (but there are still plenty of spots being left out):

Breakfast - Patachou at the corner of Washington and Capitol is probably the best option for breakfast near the stadium. Le Peep is a little further out, on North Illinois St. I've heard good things about the City Cafe, on N. Pennsylvania, but I've never tried it. Not too many good breakfast options in downtown Indy, really.

Lunch - Two of my favorite lunch options haven't been mentioned yet. Shapiro's Deli is an authentic, 100+ year old Jewish deli within easy walking distance of the stadium on South Meridian, and is a good option for large groups. Try the pastrami sandwich with a Cel-Ray to drink. John's Hot Stews is cheap but still (IMO) delicious, and can be found on Kentucky Ave. Anyone looking for a more upscale lunch can try the seafood chain Oceanaire. Fogo da Chao, a Brazilian-themed steakhouse chain, offers lunch during the weekdays for those who might not want to shell out the full price for dinner. The Indianapolis City Market is also a great lunch spot, and at Market and Delaware is about a 20 minute (I guess) walk from the stadium.

Dinner - Several of the spots have already been mentioned. The high-end chains like Oceanaire and Fogo da Chao are always a good bet for anyone with the time and the extra cash. There's also a Morton's Steakhouse, but anyone looking for a traditional steakhouse experience should of course go to St. Elmo's. 14 West is a contemporary, and pricey, high end restaurant that's just opened downtown near the stadium - I haven't tried it yet but the reviews have been mixed. Sensu is a high-end Asian fusion restaurant on South Meridian with a price range similar to the steakhouses.

Plenty of the cheaper dinner options have already been mentioned, but Tavern on South deserves a shout out. It's only recently been opened on W. South street, right next to the stadium. Moderately priced dinner options, and lunch on the weekdays. I like the tenderloin sliders. It'd be a great post-show spot if it didn't close at 11.

After show: I don't really have much to add. The various bars and taverns should work fine for most drum corps addled fans, but anyone traveling with under-21s is going to be stuck with White Castle and Steak & Shake (not that there's anything wrong with that, especially at midnight).

As for things to do: Anyone traveling with kids must go to the Children's Museum. Even if you've been in the past, go again - the exhibits change pretty frequently. Anyone wanting to take a night off from drum corps should take in an Indians game at beautiful Victory Field. The Indians will be in town that weekend, and with the most expensive tickets at only 14 dollars it's a good option for families. And with White River State Park next door you can pop in and out of the game at will to watch warmups, which is how I spend semis and finals nights last year.

There probably aren't too many drum corps fans interested in museum going, but if you are then the Eiteljorg Museum is well worth checking out, as is the Indiana State Museum (yes, really). The ISM also as an IMAX screen, again a good option for kids who've had just a little too much drum corps. The NCAA Hall of Champions is there as well, but even though I'm a bit of a sports history buff I've never really enjoyed it. All these are located right inside White River State Park.

Edited by Rifuarian

I haven't seen The Canterbury Hotel listed, I hope I didn't book a dive room. I can't believe I booked this in February spaced out and didn't get tickets. I have a place to stay and nowhere to go. :wall:

I have been looking for tickets including going to different corps sites. The tickets are "not so good" right now including Ticket Master. It has been suggested a couple of times to go to the stadium that people are usually selling extra tickets they may have. I have never paid attention to that because I usually already have my tickets in hand.

I'm getting pretty nervous, has anyone ever noticed people selling tickets outside of the stadium?

Thanks for all the advice here, my printer is very busy.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

I haven't seen The Canterbury Hotel listed, I hope I didn't book a dive room. I can't believe I booked this in February spaced out and didn't get tickets. I have a place to stay and nowhere to go. :wall:

I have been looking for tickets including going to different corps sites. The tickets are "not so good" right now including Ticket Master. It has been suggested a couple of times to go to the stadium that people are usually selling extra tickets they may have. I have never paid attention to that because I usually already have my tickets in hand.

I'm getting pretty nervous, has anyone ever noticed people selling tickets outside of the stadium?

Thanks for all the advice here, my printer is very busy.

I've seen people (actual people, not scalpers) trying to get rid of tickets. Your best bet is to hang around the front, near the ticket counters (but not right in front of them). If you keep your ears open and say "looking for tickets" once in a while you should have some responses. I know that sounds pretty dorky but people do it. :tongue:

You could also check Craigslist and the market place here. Good luck!!

I've seen people (actual people, not scalpers) trying to get rid of tickets. Your best bet is to hang around the front, near the ticket counters (but not right in front of them). If you keep your ears open and say "looking for tickets" once in a while you should have some responses. I know that sounds pretty dorky but people do it. :tongue:

You could also check Craigslist and the market place here. Good luck!!

Thank you. I think I'll do that. I have tried Craig's List and eBay and just now Ticket Stub where they are asking about $300.00 per ticket and I might add those were the cheap seats, meaning the seats were great but that's where the price begins. OUCH.

As Blue Stars parents we've stayed in the Omni and will be staying there again this year. I'll listen out for a Scots accent in the bar if you listen out for an English one.

Le Peep?

Yes, that's it. Le Peep.

I remember that the Omni was the official Blue Stars hotel, it had a very busy bar. Sadly I'm not able to go this year but I plan to be back in 2012.

Budget-minded Dean here ........

Attend the free Celebrate Indy Arts! parade on Saturday, 11 AM - 1 PM, featuring 25 drum corps and other Indianapolis arts ensembles.

To get from the airport to downtown on the cheap, take the #8 local Washington Street bus. It's only $1.75. Frequent schedule. Correct change, or 2 ones needed. At the airport, the bus picks you up near the rental car area. Check out the schedule at the Indygo website.

Though Band Day at the Fair is August 5 (1976 Greenwood Marching Woodmen, anyone?), the State Fair is in full swing during DCI's visit. Catch the #39 Indygo to the fairgrounds. $1.75 one way, or $4.00 Day Pass on Indygo.

For a break from the bus, rent the Chicken Car, an Indianapolis tradition like no other.

(I worked at the state capitol building three summers when Otis Bowen was governor - he wore white shoes everyday.)

Edited by DeanInChicago

More importantly, are there any places where you can get a pizza delivered after midnight downtown? We tried a couple of years ago after Quarters and either the people at the hotel were clueless or there was legitimately no options.

I'd rather have the OM NOM NOM delivered to our hotel after a long Thursday than wait in line at Steak and Shake.

As a local, here are a couple of nuggets. YMMV

Call the hotel in advance if you want pizza after Thursday. Make them figure it out while things are open. There are places, but it's an odd request for downtown. You'd think not, but it is.

Buffalo Wild Wings downtown is a bit off the stadium, but has excellent service in the bar area. Good variety, solid, if unspectacular. Perfect for a pre-Friday boogie-down.

As for the restaurant of choice, I can't recommend more highly Adobo Mexican. It's one more block away, and worth every step. Their food is easily the best Mexican food in town, and probably the best in Indiana. Table-side guac, tons of great drinks, and great atmosphere. This is a call-ahead, but it's not stuffy. It's just a little busy. Best for 2-4 people, this is the one place that will change your opinion about indy food.

http://www.adobogrill.com/indianapolis/index.aspx They are 110 EAST... office is 110W. Don't confuse. On Open Table, too.