Indianapolis & LOS tips

Since DCI finals will be in Indianapolis for the foreseeable future, I thought it might be a good idea for those of us who have previously attended finals to pass on any tips we may have.

I'll start…

Warm ups –

DCI run a free bus from outside the main entrance of LOS to White River State Park. It runs on a continuous loop so you can get there and back as often as you like. The park is less than 5 minutes away from LOS by bus.

Bar –

As a Scotsman I hate to admit it but we only got as far as the bar in the hotel we stayed at, the Omni Severin. However, on the Wednesday night & the Saturday after Finals it was buzzing, full of Drum Corps folk. It was quite busy the Thursday & Friday too.

Hotel –

I've only ever stayed at the Omni Severin. I can however thoroughly recommend it. Nice rooms, great bar and it's about 2 blocks from LOS. It also has a walkway into the Circle Mall which in the extreme heat was very useful. Extra tip – Join their loyalty program, you get a free drink delivered to your room every morning.

Food –

The only restaurant we visited for dinner was the Hard Rock Cafe. No surprises, I'm sure you all know what type of food to expect there. Every other night we ate pizza in the stadium. We ate Breakfast at a great place which was a 15 minute walk from the Omni but for the life of me I can't remember its name. I'll ask my wife when I get home… like Dennys but not.

edit: The breakfast place is called Le Peep!

Shopping –

If you can find time to shop then the Circle Mall is probably the most convenient. It's nothing out of the ordinary it's a clone of every other American Mall I've ever been to… standard common shops and stinks of cinnamon.

Airport Transport –

We got a bus (green line) that has several stops in the downtown area. Dropped us off right outside the Omni. Way cheaper than a cab.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 2

Also, I posted this in another thread, but might be helpful here as well. This is the webpage for Devour Downtown, which will be running during finals.

http://www.devourdowntown.org/summer.html

Crowne Plaza was awesome. loungea little small and maybe not prepared for a post show crowd, but the facility is gorgeous.

I stayed at the Conrad two years ago. It was very convenient to downtown attractions, eating, and shopping. It actually has a bridge to the mall.

Food. Rock Bottom wasn't too bad. Also ate at a good pizza place a little north of downtown (can't remember the name. Edit: It was Bazbeaux's).

Edited by chaos001

We've been at the Westin, Hilton, Hampton, Crowne Plaza, and Omni (drum corps and BOA). They are all very nice! Last year we stayed at the Omni and are doing the same this year. I like that location: close to the stadium and pre/post show fun. Always end up at the Ram (big menu, good beer, pub-ish atmosphere), sometimes Harry & Izzys (the "fancy" dinner, very good but pricey), and that Irish place after the shows. Last year we got a waiter that was a huge drum corps fan. He was excited to hear scores, etc. Kinda fun.

FYI, by the time you get out of the stadium, it'll be late. By that time your food options are greatly reduced. Most of the bars keep their grills open for a while but if you want a non-bar place I can only think of Steak and Shake. It'll be packed. There might be more but we always go to the bar! :)

The Circle Center Mall (name?) is right there too. Two or three floors, basic mall with a fairly large food court. You'll see lots of drum corps fans there.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Indianapolis Zoo is a nice walk from the stadium. If you have family members that need a drum corps break it's a fun choice. We were there a couple years ago (November, BOA) and really enjoyed it.

LOS is HUGE (duh). The busses park behind the stadium, in relation to the downtown area - it'll make sense when you see it. Not a really easy place to find corps members but its definitely possible. Just plan for walking time because it really is big.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Food –

The only restaurant we visited for dinner was the Hard Rock Cafe. No surprises, I'm sure you all know what type of food to expect there. Every other night we ate pizza in the stadium. We ate Breakfast at a great place which was a 15 minute walk from the Omni but for the life of me I can't remember its name. I'll ask my wife when I get home… like Dennys but not.

Have stayed at Omni Severin every year Finals has been at LOS...great option for breakfast is Steak 'N Shake, usual breakfast choices, food not bad and not as pricey as the hotel. There is another place (sorry, I can't remember the name of it either) that is on the way to the zoo/museum from the Omni, we were having breakfast there the first year we were in Indy and all of a sudden, Teal Sound shows up and sets up shop across the street and starts warming up (that was the year they did the daytime gig in the ArtsGarden).

Last year we did the Devour Downtown thing at Shula's Steakhouse-I highly recommend it!

Just some things off the top of my head...

Stayed at Omni and Conrad in the past. Both places are great, Conrad treats you like a king and they will literally run to get you a pack of cigarettes or whatever else you're craving if you desperately need it. They won't even charge you for it. As mentioned, Omni will provide beverages and a small treat in the morning waiting outside your door if you are a part of their rewards program. If you're lucky, you can ask if any suites are available for a complimentary upgrade. If you're a preferred member in their rewards program, they'll give you a great room with a balcony and upstairs/downstairs floor model.

As mentioned, St. Elmo steakhouse is the bomb! I would definitely take advantage of that $30 deal.

Now that Red Eye Cafe is closed, the only places open downtown and still serving their menu late (usually until midnight) are Rock Bottom (by Conrad), Buffalo Wild Wings, White Castle (by the stadium), Steak and Shake (always crowded after the show). Hopefully others can add to this list, as we're always looking for something after the show.

Ram is a great place to get your drink on. Decent menu items too. Cafe Patachou serves the best breakfast and is usually voted as the locals favorite just about every year.

Slippery Noodle Bar with live blues music is a fun place to get your party on after the show.

The Green Line Bus from the airport to downtown area hotels is a good way to save money. $7 per person. A taxi to downtown from the airport will run about $30+.

Edited by Whiskey

The Red Eye Cafe is closed? Boo! Hey, did you know that was owned by Glassmen alum? At least I think it was...

Forgot about those other late night food places. Rock Bottom serves late IIRC, we had a big group there after finals 2 years ago and we ate - late!!

I'm giving away a secret, but LePeep is a breakfast place a little ways from the stadium, closer to the Hyatt. Yum yum!!!

Long's Bakery has incredible donuts and other baked goods! It's just a little ways north on 16th street. Not really walking distance from downtown, but perhaps a short bus ride would get you there. Worth the trip! Every time I had been there was a line out the door.

Howl at the Moon is a dueling piano bar downtown, always a great time!

Anyone familiar with Indy should know about Yats up in Broadripple. Well the owner opened Bar Yats downtown. I have not been yet, but hear it's great. That is on 9th St and Pennsylvania.

For a sweet treat, the South Bend Chocolate Company has a cafe in Monument Circle.

Also, if you are looking for late night eats, Mass Ave just northeast of Monument Circle has many different bars and restaurants.

If you have a car, or don't mind taking a bus, Broadripple is a must! Bazbeaux Pizza, Broadripple Bagel Deli, and the Brugge Brasserie are just a few of my favorites! Also, many bars as well.

Bar –

As a Scotsman I hate to admit it but we only got as far as the bar in the hotel we stayed at, the Omni Severin. However, on the Wednesday night & the Saturday after Finals it was buzzing, full of Drum Corps folk. It was quite busy the Thursday & Friday too.

Hotel –

I've only ever stayed at the Omni Severin. I can however thoroughly recommend it. Nice rooms, great bar and it's about 2 blocks from LOS. It also has a walkway into the Circle Mall which in the extreme heat was very useful. Extra tip – Join their loyalty program, you get a free drink delivered to your room every morning.

As Blue Stars parents we've stayed in the Omni and will be staying there again this year. I'll listen out for a Scots accent in the bar if you listen out for an English one.

Food –

Le Peep?

Edited by Bill M