Corps Personalities!

What are some different Drum Corps personalities and or attitudes at rehearsals?

For example, I've heard that The Cadets are extremely hardcore while the the Cavaliers and Blue Devils (believe it or not) are relatively chill!

Please enlighten me!!

When I was a member of Crown, our rehearsals were fairly "hardcore", as in always run back to sets, don't talk, focus, etc. Judging solely from the ensemble rehearsal I watched Monday evening, they are a bit more relaxed these days. Still very focused and fast-paced but in a calm and quiet fashion rather than a grit teeth and eat nails fashion.

The year I marched Devils (94) we were seen as a laid back, somewhat rag-tag collection of folks that didn't take much too seriously, but knew they were good. I imagine that attitude hasn't changed much. We were the ones rocking the buses when we got to a show site. How we perceived other corps? Phantom Regiment was seen as uptight, clean cut goody-goodies that were waaaaay too serious. Cavaliers, very smug, pompous and thought their poop didn't stink. Cadets were different because, in my experience, there was always mutual respect between the two corps even though it was a rivalry. They were great that year and their drumline was sick. I actually spent half of semi-finals day watching their drumline rehearse.

• Like 2

Cavaliers, very smug, pompous and thought their poop didn't stink.

People say that a lot about the Blue Devils too. :tongue:

But I think we see BD and Cavies as the most laid-back corps

Cadets and SCV are old-school corps, where you're dead-silent, always running back to sets, a reputation for staff yelling, but it always gets the job done. "Water is a crutch! You'll have time to sit down and drink water when you're not on tour!"

Seems like Crown has been adopting the Cadets method, the "hardcore" rehearsals, but it seems to be working.

Don't know too much about Phantom, all I know is I shared a school with them, and used a field after them, and it was interesting.... They had everything painted down on the field.... :blink:

As for Madison, when I was there it was kind of both. Kind of weird, sometimes it'd be a real hardliner mentality and other parts would be laid back.

Don't know too much about Phantom, all I know is I shared a school with them, and used a field after them, and it was interesting.... They had everything painted down on the field.... :blink:

They were probably getting "tony hall-ed".

Tony is one of the few drill designers left that writes the drill on the field... in rehearsal. He's responsible for 93 and 94, as well as the revamped endings most every year. Tony is a pretty interesting guy, to say the least, but it's good stuff.

Tony's eccentricity and creativity are his biggest positives, and negatives. If he could write it down (or pyware it), meet deadlines, and not throw everything and the kitchen sink out on the field every second--- we'd be talking about hall in the same sentence as Sacktig and Gaines.

Tony Hall is one of the most interesting drum corps people I've ever met, and I really hope that everyone who gets the chance to meet him gets a nice long talk with him. It is a VERY different perspective, even compared to the other drum corps eccentrics we meet.

• Like 4

They were probably getting "tony hall-ed".

Tony is one of the few drill designers left that writes the drill on the field... in rehearsal. He's responsible for 93 and 94, as well as the revamped endings most every year. Tony is a pretty interesting guy, to say the least, but it's good stuff.

Tony's eccentricity and creativity are his biggest positives, and negatives. If he could write it down (or pyware it), meet deadlines, and not throw everything and the kitchen sink out on the field every second--- we'd be talking about hall in the same sentence as Sacktig and Gaines.

Tony Hall is one of the most interesting drum corps people I've ever met, and I really hope that everyone who gets the chance to meet him gets a nice long talk with him. It is a VERY different perspective, even compared to the other drum corps eccentrics we meet.

I'm guessing so. It was in Texas, and I know they were in the process of changing lots and lots of drill, so that could explain it. But yeah, EVERYTHING was written on the field, except for sidelines for some odd reason.... So the field painting crew had an odd day, and trying to march dot system around painted on forms got a little interesting after awhile.

Does anybody think that either method is better than the other?

You see the Cavies consistently in Top 3 while being pretty laid back while seeing The Cadets sort of off and on using there hardcore method rehearsals.

I can see that The Cadets method would make the marchers EXTREMELY mentally tough though

Does anybody think that either method is better than the other?

You see the Cavies consistently in Top 3 while being pretty laid back while seeing The Cadets sort of off and on using there hardcore method rehearsals.

The Cadets have more championships than the Cavaliers

edit: maybe we should divide corps by "gush and go" vs. "water break"

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2