Corps Personalities!

As for Madison, when I was there it was kind of both. Kind of weird, sometimes it'd be a real hardliner mentality and other parts would be laid back.

Same for when I was there as well. Most of the time rehearsals were pretty serious but every few days or so the staff would always relax and ham it up a bit whenever things were getting so serious that your focus starts to get lost.

It all depends on the instructional staff and the kids from year to year. Sometimes instructors get right in their face about this and that and they respond to it while others don't. It's kind of like a "catch 22". You have to figure out what the best way is to motivate them.

Oh, you mean like intentionally butchering songs that symbolize and honor our country at retreats? That, unfortunate trend in the last 10 years, is my only real gripe with BD.

Oh what? link to copyrighted material removed

Edited by Dave
removing links to copyrighted material

Several years ago a drum corps friend of mine, for the purposes of comparison, divided the rehearsal ethic/methods into "East Coast" versus "West Coast."

East Coast: More hardcore.

West Coast: More laid-back.

He described SCV, even though they are obviously a West Coast corps, as having an East Coast rehearsal ethic... while the Blue Devils have a West Coast ethic.

Personally, I'm not sure the differences in rehearsal ethic/methods are as easy to categorize as one coast vs. another, but I do understand my friend's point.

Having lived on the East Coast my entire life, I know of many examples of "hardcore" corps from this neck of the woods, during the DCI era, pre-DCI, and on the DCA side.

The thing about BD...it's not laziness...it's simply the ability to flip the switch between laid back and hardcore...when necessary.

I ran back to my sets plenty of times...I also strolled back to it. If the staff was in discussions while we were resetting, why kill ourselves to get to the set simply to stand there for longer period of time?

Work smarter not harder isn't a new thing...

• Like 4

This wasn't what I was specifically addressing, but this makes me just as sad. Literally makes me tear up.

Why would anyone in ANY corps... do this?

Lack or respect, and lace of understanding what they're playing for, and what that song represents? It sucks that people would willingly do something like this. If you wouldn't do it in a show, don't do it in retreat.

• Like 1

The thing about BD...it's not laziness...it's simply the ability to flip the switch between laid back and hardcore...when necessary.

I ran back to my sets plenty of times...I also strolled back to it. If the staff was in discussions while we were resetting, why kill ourselves to get to the set simply to stand there for longer period of time?

Work smarter not harder isn't a new thing...

Wow, we were always trained that you have to run back to your sets, it shows the staff you're ready when they want to start. Sometimes, they would tell us to chill out, but that was usually before we reset, not after. Guess different corps and different philosophies.

I think every corps tries to bridge the gap though between working smart and working hard, you really need both.

Wow, we were always trained that you have to run back to your sets, it shows the staff you're ready when they want to start. Sometimes, they would tell us to chill out, but that was usually before we reset, not after. Guess different corps and different philosophies.

I think every corps tries to bridge the gap though between working smart and working hard, you really need both.

We only ran back if we messed up instructions. Besides that, always walking.

I marched a "run back to your set" corps also... sometimes I would walk though. If my reset was only 5/10 yards, and other people were going 50 yards, then I would walk. But obviously if I was going the 50 yards, I would run.

IMO there is no point in standing there with your horn up while other people are still getting back to their set.