Rookie DM's

Many corps regard DM's as junior officers of the orginization and promote them only from within. The theory being that they will recieve more respect than an "outsider" would. That's not true of all corps of course, but I'm not sure if I would want to be a rookie DM.

• Like 3

Pioneer has not had a rookie DM since 2003. Roman would rather promote from within.

Saxophone is an easy switch to baritone, especially if he is a good tenor sax player.

I joined my corps as a rookie conductor back in 1999, and stayed on for five years until I aged out. He needs to know going in that this will be tremendously challenging, both from a technical and leadership perspective.

I would recommend he contact corps directors directly after the end of the season about possible openings. He should treat it as a job interview - the email should look like a true cover letter. Especially given how young he is, showing professionalism, maturity, and poise will be at least as important as his conducting skills.

Chris

Blue Devils and Madison Scouts also have open auditions as far as I know.

John Lee was the first "rookie" drum major in 72 years for the scouts, he was a drum major for bd in 2009 and probably will be the only one for quite some time

Pioneer.

Nope. Unless things have changed there (and not much changes there), you need to have at least one year in the corps in order to try out for DM. Again, things may have recently changed, but I think not. Jackie Bilder (current DM) is in her 8th and final year, and I think this is maybe her 6th as DM. The Pio DM position is rooted in tradition, and tradition is big in the Irish Corps.

Nope. Unless things have changed there (and not much changes there), you need to have at least one year in the corps in order to try out for DM. Again, things may have recently changed, but I think not. Jackie Bilder (current DM) is in her 8th and final year, and I think this is maybe her 6th as DM. The Pio DM position is rooted in tradition, and tradition is big in the Irish Corps.

Well, I can think of two rookie DM's in their history (because they went on to another corps). So this tradition may happen most of the time, but not all the time.