Something I Noticed

I was checking out the Vanguard photos that were recently posted on their facebook page and noticed that the star pin on most folks was placed right over the upper left portion of the jacket. If you look through the photos, a few members have the star right on the center of their chest. Anyone know the reason for this? Ageouts maybe? Rookies maybe? Or just inattention to where the star was placed (doubtful).

Ok, upon further inspection, it appears that is only the tubas that have the pin on in this manner. Anyone know why?

I remember this coming up a few years ago.

Could it be drummers, where the harness would cause problems ?

I'm getting senile and can't remember

Ok, upon further inspection, it appears that is only the tubas that have the pin on in this manner. Anyone know why?

IIRC, tubas have always had them centered - to do with horns up/down so they don't mess the star up?

Mike

IIRC, tubas have always had them centered - to do with horns up/down so they don't mess the star up?

Mike

probably so they don't scratch the horn with the star more likely.

We wore the star in the center, as our horns down is on the left side. That has not changed over the decades.

We wore the star in the center, as our horns down is on the left side. That has not changed over the decades.

auldman86a.jpg

Thanks, folks. Just something that I've never noticed before.

Back in the 70s, the tenors wore the star in the center too.

As of right now, it's the tubas and bass drums that have their star shifted. Tubas put it in the middle because of putting the horn down would potentially hit the star and damage it. But then again, I'm sure most of the hornline has damaged or torn a star off at one point during a hard-core parade rest. :ph34r:

The bass drums actually wear their star on their side, can't remember whether it's left or right, because of the bass drum in front of them.