XtraordinarY - So what's it really about?

So I've only been able to watch shows thus far on the Fan Network. I'm heading to Allentown tomorrow. I pretty much understand the concepts behind all shows this year...except for the Cavies.

So what exactly is this show about? What are they exploring? I'm getting a very "modern ballet" sort of vibe and structure from the show, but I think watching it onscreen is inhibiting my ability to understand the theme/story and artistic direction of the show. The choreography and use of masks is very interesting. And obviously the recorded segment is vital to what's being portrayed. I also see of a lot of "solo" visual elements in the drill, where one, two, three, or four people will be doing something different than the rest of the corps.

Help? Thoughts?

I'm more confused than I was before I watched this.

• Like 3

Woah. And the show just got 10x more interesting. Thank you!!!

Woah. And the show just got 10x more interesting. Thank you!!!

Agreed.

Jokingly, a fan behind me at Show of Shows in Rockford commented the "true" message is how boys are "XtraordinarY" and girls have cooties.

• Like 2

Why do shows have to be "about something" or have some sort of "story theme"?! This is why I love 80' corps shows. No stupid theme. Just raw powerful in your face drum corps!!

• Like 4

Agreed.

Jokingly, a fan behind me at Show of Shows in Rockford commented the "true" message is how boys are "XtraordinarY" and girls have cooties.

Theres some truth to that.. lol

• Like 2

Why do shows have to be "about something" or have some sort of "story theme"?! This is why I love 80' corps shows. No stupid theme. Just raw powerful in your face drum corps!!

Yawn... :rolleyes:

In answer to your question, shows don't have to be "about something" (see BK this year as far as I can tell). However, having added depth and multiple layers to a show design can be far more interesting than just 'powerful in your face drum corps.' I love 80's corps shows just as much as most, but I find the shows from a design standpoint to often be absolutely no more interesting than blasting a favorite pop chart on the radio. Music is nice; music with great drill is better. Music with great drill & a complex design that makes you think more something more than "that was loud!" is best, IMO (and in the opinion of the majority of fans & judges now-a-days).

• Like 5