Judging

I just posted this as a hypothetical.

The dog show and Miss America contests were a joke. Although, if they judged on TLC's Tantrums and Tiaras they would be on the tele!

I seriously don't have any issues with the scores. I don't think I have ever posted any comments about bad judging or about any particular corps winning or losing. I love all drum corps! I just roll that way.

I just thought it might me more interesting to see if a new group of judges could move forward in the activity and some of those that have been around for a very long time exited stage right.

Not necessarily younger, but a NEW group of judges. I don't want to be accused of Ageism!

Now everyone have a super Sunday.

And make it work!

Just some food for thought.

What was the result of those changes so far? Frankly, not much at all. The results of those experimental sheets were pretty consistent with the status quo sheets they were already using. That means one of two things:

1. There's no need to change the current sheets, the result is the same.

2. It's a flawed approach to have the decision making of content on either of the two sets of judge's sheets be done by the exact same group of people. (Same people, same approach, same result.)

Or the governing body must be doing something wrong. Is it possible that because we don't see that kind of low championship turnover in other competitive activities (i.e., High School, College, or Professional Sports... even in local bowling or softball community leagues.), that we're doing something comparatively wrong as a "Major League" circuit?

Good point have not heard to much about this topic only whats been said through DCI news. Maybe people that are in the know should get on here and have a discussion and get it out in the open. After all we are the customer. The top seven corps are the matrix / business model and have been for the past 20 + years.

By the way have any of you ever watched TLC's Tantrums and Tiara's?

It is totally Drum Corps.

The parents, the "designers", the judges, the competition.

It's so screwed up but I love it.

I can't watch that show because it feels like child abuse to me.

• Like 1

Instead of focusing on who is judging... maybe we should actually know what is being judged and what is on the sheets?

Maybe after seeing what is on the sheets, we'd realize half these judges aren't that bad.

I'm for full transparancy. DCI should provide an easy to understand synopsis made available to the audiences as to what the judging captions mean, and what the judges will be looking for in these captions. Fans should take on the responsibility to educate themselves from that. Judges used to stand before the audiences before shows, and be introduced, and they'd wave to the crowd. Show program books would also explain the scoring captions for the fans. Those things have disappeared at too many shows now. Thats not good, imo..... We should also get to know the backgrounds of these judges too. Why not ? Whats the harm if there is nothing to hide ? Fans should come to know what the judge's training and experience has been. What is their degree and from where, what Corps did they march, teach, what schools do they teach, what companies in the music field, ie equipment mfg's companies, ie flags, drums, synths, brass, etc have they worked for, or do they now work for. What seminars and Corporate sponsors have they worked for, or work for now. Some personal bio stuff too. Seriously. ( Just like on any College, Pro sports, theatre arts, etc head Coach, teacher, actor, actress, athlete, drama coach, etc bio thats routinely provided to the public. ). Are they married, have kids, are they single, what are their hobbies besides Drum Corps... what awards and recognitions have they received both within and outside the activity. Right now, if we've been in the activity a bit, some of us know a small tad about backgrounds of these judges. But many fans, particularly those new to the activity, probably find these judges as just faceless automotons, knowing virtually nothing about them. This leads to frustrations. DCI needs to be much more open and transparant re. their judges in my opinion. There's nothing to hide here, right ? So why not ?

Edited by BRASSO

Michigan voters tried this with their state government - putting term limits on the entire state senate and house. What ended up happening is that the new members of the state congress didn't know what they were doing, and there were hardly any experienced veterans around who knew the ropes, thus the entire congress was completely inept, and almost shut down the entire gov't for lack of agreeing on a budget.

yes, that would never happen to the federal government, where there are no term limits...

wait.

Sure, let's take you up on your idea...... as long as we can also limit the tenure of corps directors at the same time.

Now what do you think?

Better yet, term limit the staffs. "Sorry, Wayne Downey, you're out. But I hear Pioneer has an opening."

How many BD brass players would follow him to Milwaukee?

Garry on Vegas

I'm for full transparancy. DCI should provide an easy to understand synopsis made available to the audiences as to what the judging captions mean, and what the judges will be looking for in these captions. Fans should take on the responsibility to educate themselves from that. Judges used to stand before the audiences before shows, and be introduced, and they'd wave to the crowd. Show program books would also explain the scoring captions for the fans. Those things have disappeared. Thats not good, imo..... We should also get to know the backgrounds of these judges too. Why not ? Whats the harm if there is nothing to hide ? Fans should come to know what the judge's training and experience has been. What is their degree and from where, what Corps did they march, teach, what schools do they teach, what companies in the music field, ie equipment mfg's companies, ie flags, drums, synths, brass, etc have they worked for, or do they now work for. What seminars and Corporate sponsors have they worked for, or work for now. Some personal bio stuff too. Seriously. ( Just like on any College, Pro sports, theatre arts, etc head Coach, teacher, actor, actress, athlete, drama coach, etc bio thats routinely provided to the public. ). Are they married, have kids, are they single, what are their hobbies besides Drum Corps... what awards and recognitions have they received both within and outside the activity. Right now, if we've been in the activity a bit, some of us know the backgrounds of these judges. But many fans, particularly those new to the activity, probably find these judges as just faceless automotons. This leads to frustrations. Naturally. DCI needs to be much more open and transparant re. their judges in my opinion. There's nothing to hide here, right ? So why not ?

It is very interesting what information / tec has add to this activity (note for note and step for step) viewing.

Some of these folks have been around for more than 30 years .... Marie Czapinski (sp.?) was a guard judge when I was in high school, and I graduated in 1980!

I guess something can be said for "knowledge" of her subject matter!

Yes, well I hear you. But lets not forget that Jimmy Carter was the President when you" graduated H.S. in 1980", and this loser geezer is still out there on the lecture circuit evaluating the US and giving his" marks" and remarks on the economy, job creation, wars, taxes, budget, etc with his so called " knowledge " of the subject matter " too. You know what I'm saying ? I'm not for making DCI judges automatically retire after a certain point however. Thats not the answer either. I don't have an answer frankly. It is what it is, until its not what it is. So thats that, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Better yet, term limit the staffs. "Sorry, Wayne Downey, you're out. But I hear Pioneer has an opening."

How many BD brass players would follow him to Milwaukee?

Garry on Vegas

If the price is right, probably the same number of marchers that flocked to Star of Indiana when the best staff in the biz at the time left their Corps to follow the money trail to Bloomington, Ind.

Edited by BRASSO