Allentown review (both nights)

Here is my review for the Allentown show (both nights)

General: weather held up and was pretty good on Friday........we had pre-show rain on Saturday, and some rain during the show, but fortunately, there were also periods of no rain or just very light, and they got through....poured after the contest was over......good crowds............

Fri.

Jubal.......good to see another foreign corps here,......they were entertaining, and have showed some improvement since I saw video of an earlier show......

Pioneer........they show some confident moments for a small hornline........many ensemble/timing issues tonight........

Cascades.........I think they are making some good strides.......visual is what communicates program with this one, but I have trouble grabbing onto the arrangements....

Teal............they set up some great moods with exotic sounds/percussion and violin, but they do not bring the musical ideas to fruition.....I get the same impression

with the brass arrangements.

Mandarins.........respectable execution, but the musical book is uninspiring....................

Glassmen...........IMO, significantly overscored....probably due to their finalist status.............execution levels are ok, although there are

issues in brass........guard and percussion are their strengths...........musical arrangements are really flat, and I have no idea how they

are getting a musical effect score with these arrangements...........

Troopers.........the show is "subtle" but well-written. They need to try to sell the subtle moments and max impacts as much as possible. They still have some

room to grow this week in execution...............I do think they will battle Spirit for the 12 spot, and whoever nails it next Friday will get in.....

Blue Stars.........the corps is competent in all sections, and they highlight them well. That said, I think the arrangements lack continuity and completeness

of musical thought........this is a good corps which will hold placement, but may wish to take a new approach arrangement-wise next year......

Madison...........a well-written musical book which works well, and the hornline has a big, full sound and they play with excellent technique. Percussion execution

has improved significantly, yet it is a mystery why that isn't showing up........numbers are all over the place, which is also a mystery, as I felt

performance levels were good tonight...........I felt they were underscored......also a mystery is why coordinator kept judges off the field until

2 minutes INTO their competitive show.....WAKE UP!!!! Big crowd response.........

Bluecoats..........another corps that is very competent in all sections (and execution is what is keeping them where they are), but I find the show unmoving from

a musical standpoint.............they will probably hold place (6) next week, but I don't find them to be very exciting musically this year......

Phantom..........Regiment has a strong brass book/arrangements which continue to grow on me, and they can play. Percussion does have some execution issues, although

I am not sure it is to the extent as being scored...they have an excellent pit, and the overall book complements the brass well.....guard musical

interpretation is better than many..........musical numbers brass/ensemble/effect remain a mystery to me, as I feel this book is one of the best

on the field this year........I wish they would do the "Chevron" at the end, but it's probably too late......drill may not be "innovative", but

it does present the music well.....I think they should be closer to the top dogs..............

Casvaliers........drumline is their strength, and they have executed well consistently all week. The drill/visual program are strong.....guard uniforms are a bit

"extreme".......musical book is good but not great.........crowd loves the gimmicks..................a solid corps, but I don't think this show

is quite as strong as it is being scored..........

Sat.

Surf.............they have made some good strides, and were better tonight than at West Chester................

Pacific Crest........there is some strong talent in this corps, and they have some good performance moments. That said, I can't help but think how much better

they could do with strong arrangements/musical material. I just don't find the book to be very exciting.................

Crossmen.............whereas book is a bit better than the past few seasons, I still find the arrangements to be a bit lacking in musical development/excitement.

brass execution just hasn't come along to far, and that doesn't help with things, either. They are marching better, and perc. has some

good grooves............they could squeeze past the Colts next week if they progress, but that's about it...........

Colts..............another corps with the horses to do better, but they haven't been given a musical book to do so.....I find the arrangements to be very choppy.....

that said, performance levels are ok, and they will probably hold place.........

Academy............if they had a stronger musical book, they would probably be in contention for a finals spot. The corps performs well enough to do so, but

the musical book, IMO, doesn't make it. Brass had a full sound, which they maintain fairly well.......

Spirit...........whereas I think they still are the favorite for the 12th spot, I don't think they had the greatest run tonight performance-wise. The show is

interesting, and has some good musical moments...........they have a good shot, but it's not a sure thing.................

Blue Knights.........one of the better musical shows of this season, IMO.....some very good variety, and interpretation is outstanding at times.......I agree

that they have room to grow performance-wise (it will be interesting to see how far they get).....I find this show to be stronger than

several in front of them, so they could be a surprise if they start nailing it............

Boston............I still feel this show is overscored.........the front 1/2 of the show works, than things "lull", and the ending is neutral. The corps performs

well, and the visual package is probably their srength, but overall, I believe there are others around them who are superior.......some

dirt in both brass and percussion..............guard is good..........

SCV............great drumline. guard is good, as is visual package. I find the musical book to be too dissonant for too much of the program, compounded by the

fact that there are still some significant performance problems in brass. Visual and perc. numbers will most likely allow them to keep place, but

it's not a memorable musical performance for me from the Vanguard this year.............

Crown..........the brass line is TREMENDOUS. IMO, Nobody is even close to them regarding what they are playing and how well they are playing it. Never mind

the fact that the arrangements are great as well. I believe percussion is underscored, as they executed quite well tonight, and the difficulty is

deceptive. They are winning brass, but where is the spread? Also, I can not comprehend the musical effect scores. I was down very low on the 50,

so I could not see the full scope of visual performance. Any way you look at it, this is a great musical corps who is not getting credit for

that....I know we tend to not comment on "electronic performers", but the piano player was incredible tonight. Huge crowd response. Score/placement

is a mystery to me..............

Cadets...........visual program and coordination are stellar. Percussion had a good show. Brass was good, but sounded a bit winded/tentative in places, and definitely

"ran out of gas" in the last 2 minutes.....they are flying, but having trouble sustaining sound. They are solid in all captions.....it will be interesting

to see how they perform this coming weekend................

Blue Devils.........brass had a big sound which they maintain throughout the program. That said, I do believe there are a few moments where the quality sounds

"crass"....especially when stacked up to Crown............the program is enjoyable, overall, and they were better visually tonight than in WC,

especially guard. Percussion still has some execution issues....a bit tighter than WC, but still some problems there......

Musical book is good but expression/phrasing come across as "forced" at times...........

I bolted before the scores, as it started raining harder..........

I'll be in Indy for semis/finals......

GB

• Like 5

Great Review Bob! Bet it was a great show live!!

Thanks for the Review!

I will add mine rather than start a new one!

Friday Night

Jubal- I was very impressed overall with them! They have some real demand! Not taking it easy at all. Clarity issues throughout but a very ambitious program performed very well! I interacted with a few their people and they were VERY cool! Brass seemed to be their strength but percussion and guard were also excellent. Nice work Jubal!

Pioneer- I dont know.. I hate to be the meanie here, but they just make poor decisions. They dont design appropriately for their ability level. LOTS of dirt, lots of tempo issues, and produce very weak sound. I know DCP folks usually protect Pioneer, but I would be doing them a disservice if I acted like all was well just because they have a different approach and philosophy. I agree with their philosophy typically, but this performance for me did not reflect it. Great effort by the kids, but again, what they are being given is neither being achieved nor is it effective. GOTTA have at least 1 of those and at this level, preferably the Achievement. MAKE IT ACHIEVABLE!

Seattle Cascades- One of the surprises for me! I really enjoyed this program. I think at times the theatrics feel a little overboard, but not to the point of distraction. Overall I found it very entertaining and pretty well executed! This corps could be a finalist one day if they keep pushing and training the right way. They seem to be on track!

Teal Sound- A very cool program overall. The electronic sounds really give them some cool moments! Its ambitious and I dont know that they will "nail" this show, but I do love watching them try! This corps is really carving themselves an identity as the "Experimental Corps" which I LOVE! Keep at it and keep getting bigger and stronger. Could also be a top 12 contender down the road.

Mandarins- Great performance from the members! Brass is feisty, Guard is aggressive, Percussion is really solid! The show itself, I didnt have any problem with it, but I dont know that I will remember it in the morning. In fact, I dont remember it too much.

Glassmen- This for me was one of my "most under valued" (Score wise) corps of the last couple of years, and this year I think so even more. Wonderfully creative moments, well crafted and executed pretty darn well! Percussion is especially strong but Brass and Guard deliver some real power! This was where a MAJOR jump in performance happened Friday night compared to what came before it. I absolutely see this as a finalist if it were up to me (but its not). The scores have them on the bubble, seemingly on the outside looking in but I think they were great!

Troopers- The Troop this year felt more like a Phantom Regiment type offering than the Troopers! Really nice show. Again, I wasnt blown away, but I really enjoyed it for the most part. In going for so much "pretty", it really flirted with "boring" at times but they pulled it through and put out a very entertaining show.

Blue Stars- Again, this corps feel under valued to me score wise, but thats just my personal opinion. Love the look and aggressiveness of this Corps. They are also carving themselves a solid identity in the activity and I LOVE it! No real weaknesses for me in terms of strength of the elements. Performance quality seems on par with the 5-8 guys, but there are so many good shows in the mix that its going to be tough for them to get there. I love this show and I hope it goes far!

Madison- After seeing them at West Chester, I was expecting them to blow the house down. A strong show again, but this one lacked the emotion and power they had at WCU which left me hanging, but a great performance still. A big crowd favorite once again and rightfully so. Last year, I was not really on board with the bandwagon. That show was just not my particular cup and when I heard this years show idea, I rolled my eyes so hard it hurt. But this was a great lesson and reminder to me to keep an open mind because i LOVE this show. If they can muster the power and emotion they had at the WCU show with the clarity and control of DCI East, they could knock out a few more competitors!

Bluecoats- Last year, I WANTED to love the Blue Coats. There was LOTS to love as a musician or performer because the talent is SOO high in that corps and they have such a great look to them, but at the end of the show, I just felt myself applauding, but not going nuts. This year was almost the EXACT same thing! They look sharp, sound great, and as a drummer, I REALLY dug their battery program. But as a full show, I just didnt get as excited as I wanted to. Honestly, this could have been last years show all over again. They will be in that mix for the top 5 because of content alone, but I dont know that effect will cary them up too high.

Phantom Regiment- Back at the Movie Theater event in June, I was sort of heartbroken. I LOVE Phantom almost every year. They are responsible for what could be my two favorite shows of all time (2003/2010) and I wanted them to just be amazing. After the cinema event, I was totally unmoved and uninspired. Again, this is the Phantom Regiment and they have talent on the staff and on the field coming out of their ears! I would never be so arrogant as to say they were not good, but again, for the first time in awhile, PR did not move me emotionally one bit. Well, thankfully I was able to see them at DCI east and breathed easy! This is the Phantom Regiment I know and love! Absolutely stunning and beautiful. I still think they are lacking the "knock out punch", but I am sure they will be there. The brass is AMAZING, the color guard is a picture of grace, beauty and elegance, and the Percussion is severely Underrated. I think if nobody had told the world that they were going to be less good this year, nobody would think much. Different style of course percussion wise, but they are absolutely a rockin and legit percussion section. One of the best (if not THE best) front ensemble of Friday night and the battery has really learned to play with power and precision. I really wish I could see this in Finals because I have a feeling it will be a special night!

Cavaliers- What can you say? Its the cavaliers! Crazy drill, mind blowing brass and percussion, a colorguard that just makes you shake your head (in a good way) and Gimmicks that just make you laugh! (gimmicks are a GOOD thing! This is a compliment so spare me the lectures!). I absolutely love this show. A solid World Championship contender once again. If Cadets and Devils werent so darn good, this would be an EASY winner. Could still win, just wont be easy!

Saturday Night

The Jersey Surf- Better than at West Chester! A lot of fun to watch. Color Guard is the strength. Brass is commendable, Percussion doesnt seem like part of the same show but executes well in the battery. Pit is almost an afterthought which is a shame because you get the feeling they want to me more involved. The show from a "concept" standpoint doesnt do a lot but its good music, good marching, very entertaining!

Pacific Crest- I feel like this drum corps is maturing in all sections. The last few years they just get better and better! They are noticeably developing as performers but similar to the Mandarins, I am just not going to remember this show. It lost me halfway through and I couldnt get back into it. Great job by the performers though.

The Crossmen- A fantastic program! Very relaxed show, nice slow and controlled tempos, nothing out of reach. This is EXACTLY what they should be doing! If you see my remarks about Pioneer, this is what I am talking about. Dont do things your kids cannot do. The Crossmen are plenty impressive and clearly are on the right track to long term success, but they do it without programming way over their students heads. Solid Percussion, Brass is much improved. Guard didnt command much attention either positively or negatively, but thats more due to staging and content. OVerall, I really like the direction of the Crossmen! Keep it up!

Colts- Impressive! Much better than the last two years. All sections improving and a much more entertaining offering than last year. Really enjoyed it!

Academy- Again, not a lot to say other than I really dug it! PERCUSSION! WOW! They are aggressive and they deliver some power! I will remember them for awhile.

Spirit of Atlanta- An enjoyable program! Cool take on the "noir" thing. Great use of sound effects and the front drops JUST managed to be cool without being cheesy. The percussion line wreaks of Blue Coats style! (a good thing!). Feels like some influence there although I am not certain. Brass and Guard provide solid skill and performance. I dont remember a central "moment" in the show, but the whole thing is very cool over all.

Blue Knights- Honestly, didnt really get it. It was cool, good playing, but nothing I really connected to. I normally dig the BK but I just didnt really gel with it this time. The crowd reaction shows me in the minority though! They seemed very well received! Great job BK

Boston Crusaders- I am of the opinion that when you are taking a theme from a previously done "iconic" show (Cadets 89) that you either need to do something special with it, or take a completely different approach to it. Perhaps the comparisons are unfair, but thats the way it goes! Its always gonna happen as long corps repeat one of the more popular ideas. The BAC really does not offer anything different to it, nor is it particularly special, but it is just good drum corps! Solid brass, percussion, and color guard, well arranged music and well written work. The attempt at the "special" was in the form of the big white sheer material moment. I see what they were going for, but it just sort of came off as clumsy to me and at least for me, didnt add to the emotion of the "Bring him home" moment. Again, I did like this. It was a good show, but I just feel like another corps took on a classic idea and didnt live up to it. Should be competitive anyway anyway just because of the execution but unlike Cadets 89, I wont remember it 20 years from now.

SCV- I really love this show more and more each time I see/hear it. I think the brass is getting a raw deal. Early on, they became known as having "weak brass", and unfortunately, people just seem to assume that is still the case and maintain the status quo opinion. Similar to Phantom Regiments percussion. People assumed they would be weak because of the departure of that legendary leadership so there is a common thought that "oh.. its a down year for PR percussion" that seems to hover no matter what they do on the field. SCV sounded great in all areas and they are getting and more powerful. If they max out and get squeeky clean, something great could happen for them! Love that Percussion, love the brass! (especially the hit in the ballad) and the guard is NASTY! (Good nasty).

Carolina Crown- Clearly, a well deserved Crowd Favorite! They add great variety to the line-up as well. Not my particular brand of Vodka, but I certainly see the appeal and respect and admire the achievement on the field. No matter how hard I try, I cant get past "Bohemian Rhapsody AGAIN?". Especially if your concept is to do all of this crazy Rock music out there. With all of the rock music, a genre almost untouched by this activity, we go with BR? To me thats a missed opportunity. My other issue was the long Schmaltzy ballad moment. You have this hard corps "Rocker" theme and look, flames on the drums, guard members dressed like strippers, how does a "pretty" ballad even fit? Dont get me wrong! I grew up in the 80s with Motley Crue, Poison and Cinderella, but those ballads still had an edge to them. Crowd doesnt feel like rockers doing a rock ballad, its sort of like Metallica or guns and roses stopping and playing "Swan lake" in the middle of their set. Just didnt fit. Anyway, they perform like CRAZY. Battery is particularly HOT and there is no denying kick ### brass! This show is starting to be talked about a level down from Cavaliers/Cadets/Blue Devils, but I would advise anyone who thinks that not to get to cozy. I think Crown still has another level in them!

(PS- Crown doing their pre show hype screaming and yelling in the middle of a Corps performance was probably the most un-classy thing I have seen in years if not ever. Whoever facilitated that whether staff or member should be ashamed of themselves. do that hype stuff down the hill or after the performing corps is done and marching off the field!)

Cadets- What do you even say? Holy cow! Absolutely stunning programming and design. I dont even know if "Brilliant" covers my thoughts about this, but I will leave it at that. I do feel like there is something they are saving. The "Knockout punch" is still coming. It HAS to be because I know they know that there is another level they can reach with the right moment. On a given night, this corps can win every single caption. Few corps can say that. If they come together just right, they are gonna get that first ring since 2005. I miss drum corps in general, but this is one show that truly makes me wish I was young and talented enough to be in this show!

Blue Devils- Much like Phantom Regiment, I left the DCI cinema event not sure of what the 2011 edition of the BD would offer. They are ALWAYS one of if not my favorites, and I just didnt get it the first time out. In fairness, the Theater I was in had the volume almost all the way down for the first two corps. Not that you can judge much in the movies anyway, this only made it harder. In short, I just didnt get a lot out of it. My how a few months can change things! I LOVE this program. So many layers of depth. This is BD class, sophistication and power on full display! The best music ensemble of the night for me. The visual is stunning with that EXCEPTIONAL color guard! The percussion is classic BD power and style. If they hit it out of the park, look for another big shiny trophy for the old case!

My personal Order:

1/1 Blue Devils/ Cadets (i know.. im a wimp)

3 Cavaliers

4 Santa Clara Vanguard

5 Phantom Regiment

6 Boston Crusaders

7 Bluecoats

8 Madison Scouts

9 Blue Stars

10 Crown

11 Glassmen

12 Academy

Brass- Cadets

Percussion- Blue Devils

Visual- Cadets

Color Guard- Blue Devils

Visual Effect- Cadets

Music Effect- Blue Devils.

Edited by TastyWaves
  • Like 2

Enjoyable reads. Thanks to both of you!

thanks Bob, for filling me in on what I missed. to return the favor, here's what u missed..

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=2103095371570&comments

and I do apologize for leaving right after BD and not watching Bridgemen alumni

perform...........the only reasons being that it began to pour and I didn't

want to risk getting sick...........I hope that your performance was great!!

GB

and I do apologize for leaving right after BD and not watching Bridgemen alumni

perform...........the only reasons being that it began to pour and I didn't

want to risk getting sick...........I hope that your performance was great!!

GB

No worries... we were hoping throughout warmup that the rain would hold off, and it pretty much did. Then we took the field. I don't blame any of the folks who left before or during our show, but THANK YOU to the VERY many that did stay! We hope you enjoyed the show as much as we enjoyed putting it out there for you, and thanks again for dealing with the monsoon!

I too apologize for the lack of a Bridgemen Review.

I have students in the Cadets, Surf and a couple of other corps and I wanted to catch them to give congratulations before they left. When the rain happens, they usually get out of dodge a lot quicker! But the Bridgemen are a crowd favorite at Allentown every year. I see no reason that would change this time around!

Great reviews, guys!