Total cost of ownership...

I've heard of a lot of corps adopting a policy that discounts your total dues for returning members. I think that's a great idea, it make marching a lot easier on your wallet and it keeps vets coming back year after year. When I marched in 2004&5, I spent about $2500 for each summer (that figure includes spending money and extra incidentals). However, when I auditioned for SCV in 2007 and got the contracts showing what the summer was going to cost, I quickly realized marching a west coast corps as an east coaster - you better be rich! With the cheapest 4-layover flights riding in the luggage compartments I was still looking at almost $400 round trip every month. Coupled with corps fees and incidentals/spending money - it would have been a $6,000 summer. :/

Boston Crusaders 2011- new member- if I remember correctly we paid roughly:

Completely optional tour jacket: $110.00.

A MUST HAVE...I still have mine from 1990 but doesn't quit fit anymore...lol ...the only pain in the neck to this was to have additional years marched sewn on the jacket sleeve :tongue:

Wow... and in 2000 my tour fee (last year I marched) was $750...

Trying to do the top 18 corps is going be an impossible task. Total cost doesn't mean anything if a prospective member does not meet the search criterion of their preferred corps.

If you are a female high school senior living in Texas with four years experience playing an instrument and you want to march DCI in 2012 cost doesn't play that big of a role in the decision process. If you are a female and you want to play in the battery of a DCI corps cost plays even a smaller role. You go audition where your friends march or your band director marched and you think you can make the corps.

What are the corps looking for? The 18, 19 or 20 yr old guy six feet tall and not fat unless he plays the tuba. This pool is still very large and what the corps are pulling from.

So...if we use a baseline of say $2,500-$3,000 going from the performer to the corps (x 150 members) plus say another 500 auditions per top world class corps that do not make it, at roughly $200 a shot (not counting any additional housing or equipment expenses if applicable), the top corps have almost half a million dollars in working capital before a single show is performed...not bad. Factor in performance fee splits and prize money splits for every show performed, parade revenue, souvie sales, recording sales...it's easy to see why the G7 or 8 or whatever number it is next, wants to go long on its' collective own...just follow the money!

Another expenditure that might be hard to find online is that some corps (many? most? all? IDK) have required fundraisers as well. For example, the corps I marched ran a rehearse-a-thon where were had to raise at least $150 or something mandatory: everything we earned over that we split with the corps. If you didn't raise that much money, the balance was tacked onto the membership fees. My corps only had one mandatory fundraiser, but I know at the time I was marching other corps had several, where the fundraisers could end up costing a member several hundred extra dollars. I also know that some corps (at least in the past) require members to work events, such as bingo, for a specific amount of hours during the winter season. The members could opt out and play a fair share type of fee; if a member worked more than the required hours they made money towards their tour fee. This might not be as prevalent with some many out-of-towners in corps now-a-days, but at least in the 90's I know this was a requirement for some corps.

So...if we use a baseline of say $2,500-$3,000 going from the performer to the corps (x 150 members) plus say another 500 auditions per top world class corps that do not make it, at roughly $200 a shot (not counting any additional housing or equipment expenses if applicable), the top corps have almost half a million dollars in working capital before a single show is performed...not bad.

A)This assumes everyone pays their fees on time (they don't), and B) I think you are possibly exaggerating audition attendance (but I also think corps exaggerate a a little as well).

Factor in performance fee splits and prize money splits for every show performed, parade revenue, souvie sales, recording sales...it's easy to see why the G7 or 8 or whatever number it is next, wants to go long on its' collective own...just follow the money!

Ahhhh; it's taken two pages for someone to mention the Tour of Champions. Come on, DCP: what took you so long! :rolleyes::tongue: