Indoor Finals

it poured Saturday at East. didn't see a soul go down. Everyone used electronics.

and DCI limits the echo as best as they can...but it's still there and the roof magnifies the goo issues.

I went last year. I will probably go again. But really, I'd take Madison any day

DCI should either spend the money to put curtains up there somehow. But I guess that'd be expensive.

Did it actually pour? I was at both Allentown shows, and there was hardly anything, except maybe towards the end of Saturday night. Which was only a few corps (so chances are, there wouldn't be any falls). If you're talking about Meadowlands, then maybe it did. But as far as I know, shows get delayed if the field is too wet so there isn't a potential safety issue.

You can't deny that it would increase the risk of falling and potentially of injuries. I'd hate to be the member that fell on finals day because I slipped along part of the field.

I'm not saying LOS is a dream come true. But it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

DCI should either spend the money to put curtains up there somehow. But I guess that'd be expensive.

Did it actually pour? I was at both Allentown shows, and there was hardly anything, except maybe towards the end of Saturday night. Which was only a few corps (so chances are, there wouldn't be any falls). If you're talking about Meadowlands, then maybe it did. But as far as I know, shows get delayed if the field is too wet so there isn't a potential safety issue.

You can't deny that it would increase the risk of falling and potentially of injuries. I'd hate to be the member that fell on finals day because I slipped along part of the field.

I'm not saying LOS is a dream come true. But it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

It didn't really pour until Bridgemen. I did see one fall, the dude on the right end of Blue Knights' company front. I don't think that was from a slippery field though.

And I agree with you about LOS.

• Like 1

no amount of fabric will make LOS good.....the roof is part of the problem, but the big issue is those huge windows on each side. Even if you open the roof, those windows will just bounce sound around.

Meadowlands I wasn't at, but Allentown..I remember Surf and crossmen with a good steady rain, and it cranked back up with Crown and grew from there. It's all in the drainage system, and I know Allentowns works because I judged 27 bands in worse rain than Saturday on that field a few years ago.

Personally, I have this thing about being a human lightning bolt.

At least when a show is rained out during the season, there will always be another show somewhere. If we were ever hit with three days of rain like that which hit Quarterfinals in Foxboro a few years back, and we weren't in a protected environment, we'd be up the creek without a synth. (Not to mention the excruciating heat and humidity Finals day in Foxboro a few years later in 2005.)

It's not a perfect solution, but we won't fully appreciate it until we experience Apocalyptic rain during the week of the World Championships. We have been very, very lucky so far.

Of course, even being in an enclosed environment isn't a 100% guarantee the show will proceed as planned. A few years back, we had a storm delay at the Alamodome because corps weren't allowed off their buses for some time due to a lightning storm.

Yes, I was at Foxboro in '94. I remember standing in the rain as the Cavaliers willingly did a standstill along with two other corps. There was some quiet degree of panic as to how it was all going to happen what with the weather as you described. Fortunately the rain did stop, and things eventually did go well. It is something that has to be considered, and what if it were to happen again, especially when some corps members nowadays have to be in class 40 hours after finals. I'm sure the pro's and con's will have everybody being a little bit right

After a year of higher than usual show cancellations due to downpours, it will be a relief to know that the show will go on in Indianapolis. The purists may debate some of the sound quality, but to others that are spending a fair amount of money on flights ,hotels, restaurants, and whatever else, the imperfect sound is a minor trade off compared to the possibility of a financial and logistical disaster. To those of us that cannot be experts, this is some consolation

Yeah, after sitting through 1993 Finals, and 1994 Prelims, I think the trade off of pristine outdoor acoustics for guaranteed show, no rain delay, etc. is worth it.

BUT, to be fair, I've never gone to an indoor DCI show, so my view is DEFINITELY not one coming from experience (though I have been unfortunate enough to have shows canceled due to bad weather, and no refund for no drum corps made me REALLY unhappy)

Or you'll get wet to hear nothing due to cancellation.

That is a red herring. Finals have never been cancelled. Sure, there is a chance that it could happen but DCI managed to avoid it for 25ish years prior to LOS. I went to the first year in Indy. Nats had become an annual trip for myself and several friends. The sound quality was horrendous - just really, really bad. It absolutely killed the experience. I would much, much prefer to take the risk that the weather might make it uncomfortable and that there is a remote chance of cancellation. I am more than willing to accept the risk that despite the financial cost.

Two things are nearly deal breakers for me with respect to LOS:

1. The sound - it really was that bad in my opinion. I am not saying I will never go back, but it will not be an annual trip or even every other year.

2. The location - Indianapolis is a fine city, but I don't want to go to the same city every year. My weekend trip to DCI is one of a few breaks during the year and part of the fun is visiting different cities. I'd have alway been in favor of a rotation amongst several cities (Madison, Indy, Denver, Boston, a Texas city, a Calif city). My crew has decided to create our own rotation by going to Stanford one year, Denver the next, Allentown, Atlanta, etc. Indy may be in that rotation, but it will be in frequent.

I totally agree. The Georgia Dome acoustics are wonderful and anyone that has watched a drum corps show preconditioned indoors will tell you its COOL!!!!!!!!

I could not disagree more about the Georgia Dome. It's like a giant steel drum. It took 3 or 4 performances before my ears adjusted to the roar. I'm not saying they should not use indoor venues, but they are far from ideal sound wise.

i'll get wet to hear no echo

DITTO!!!!!!!