Indoor Finals

Or you'll get wet to hear nothing due to cancellation.

Have finals ever been cancelled?

I'll get wet to hear no echo.

While I've never heard drum corps live in a dome, I have to agree that Allentown on Saturday in the rain was great fun. It was wonderful to see so many people enduring the weather to watch the shows.

If it werent for the electronics would we have as many cancellations due to rain? I remember watching some shows in the rain (unless there was lightning) before the electronics got out there, but when theyre so essential to some shows it makes it impossible now.

Honestly though, since finals isnt moving, i wish we could put the best outdoor regional we have, minneapolis, right before finals. I would pay finals prices, or more, for that show a week before indy. Only other venue that comes close is Stanford, but getting everyone out to the west coast, as Tim posted, is a pricey proposition.

If it werent for the electronics would we have as many cancellations due to rain? I remember watching some shows in the rain (unless there was lightning) before the electronics got out there, but when theyre so essential to some shows it makes it impossible now.

Believe it or not, it's not the raid itself that is a problem with electronics. Most live sound support gear is actually designed to get wet, and be used in rain (you just have to dry it properly, and cover if you can). It's standing water that is the safety hazard. You don't want to run any cables through puddles. The surface can be wet, just not deep.

I don't know of a single show cancellation due to electronics. They've all been cancelled because of field conditions.

Edited by Kamarag

While I've never heard drum corps live in a dome, I have to agree that Allentown on Saturday in the rain was great fun. It was wonderful to see so many people enduring the weather to watch the shows.

thecrowd hyped on it and so did the corps...same thing in 93when it unleashed on Cavies there and Madison at finals.

Hell, I watched 26 DCA corps in a tropical storm in 06, 23 in 87 and 10-12 in 99.

it still sounded better

I agree. Those of us who travel thousands of miles spending thousands of $$$$ in the process support holding finals week in a dome 110%.

I understand the objections with regard to sound but let's be honest, it's a) no brainer and b) the future.

sorry some of us who travel all those miles and spend all that money are ok with baking or getting wet.

I tried finals in the dome once, and it's not for me. So even though I live less than an hour away from LOS, I'd much rather drive several hours to an open air show.

That said, finals in the dome does make financial sense. DCI seems to be willing to trade lower ticket sales for lower costs, and that's what they've gotten so far. I also understand folks who've spent thousands to attend finals wanting to protect their investment from the weather. So I hope LOS works out for DCI in the long run, even though I won't be there.

Except that I might take DCI up on the $10 cheap seats for Indiana residents if I'm not doing anything else Saturday. For ten bucks I'd attend finals in the 9th circle of Hell, just to be there. Even though I'd only get about $1-2 worth of sound, that's a much smaller loss than the $10 worth of sound I got sitting in the $75 seats.

if they want to boost attendance for finals in a dome, they should lower prices period regardless of if you aged out last year or where you live

Or you'll get wet to hear nothing due to cancellation.

I'd take my chances. That was the worst sound I've ever experienced as a paying customer.

Seriously everyone? Wow...

I think LOS is one of the best places finals could be, except for the West Coast. If we had finals in the rain, there would be more slipping and falling (not to mention unnecessary injuries), no more electronics (which I know many of you would probably like), delays because of lightning (having to move under the stands and back out again, maybe more than once), and possibly enough wind to make the colorguard's performance really suffer (a dome is literally perfect for them). Oh yeah, and it wouldn't be as comfy.

I think DCI does a great job in eliminating the echo. LOS is not nearly as bad as the Alamodome or Atlanta. I agree that open air shows are better musically, but it's really not THAT bad at LOS. I think DCI can do more to help it with the curtains and all, and maybe they will this weekend. After all, they're still learning about the best ways to do it too.

And yes, this year has been a bad year as far as storms. Maybe not in the early season, but there have been many delayed and cancelled shows this year.

Edited by Noname
  • Like 1

it poured Saturday at East. didn't see a soul go down. Everyone used electronics.

and DCI limits the echo as best as they can...but it's still there and the roof magnifies the goo issues.

I went last year. I will probably go again. But really, I'd take Madison any day