Judging prelims

also, when judging that many units, "neighborhoods" will develop. Ok, I have so and so a 77/75....this unit was similar, but a touch less precise...77/74. Ok now these guys are having a good run....they're similar to these guys, but a touch better....82/80.

It's tough. I've judged 30 units at once, and it can be tricky

• Like 1

and back in the late 70's early 80's prelims was actually broken into 2 days with the top 12 scoring corps from that 2 day long prelims moving up into finals. And since the corps went on in a completely random order, imagine being in the hunt for 12th place and the corps you were your closest competition went on not only hours after you, but on the next day.

The "completely random" part didn't sound right, so I checked the old "ScorpsBoard".

In 1980, there were 44 "open" (now "world", "Div I") class corps. ScorpsBoard shows all of them competing on Friday, but I don't think that's right. The top 25 (based on the previous year, I think) were on Friday, with 16 others on Thursday. I remember the Troopers going on between BD and Scouts (it was SO HOT at 4:00 on the turf during a heat wave that killed hundreds of people), but Troopers had been a finalist the previous year. So, the order was a little more random, but still broadly grouped.

I can't remember any Thursday competitor ever making it to finals. Troopers broke into finals in '79 after finishing 20th the year before. That meant they went on early on Friday morning, not Thursday. The Thursday to Saturday jump probably never happened (unless Spirit did it years before).

FYI, there was a separate Class-A/All Girl Division with an additional 11 corps that did not compete directly with the others.

Drifting off topic, 1980 was great year for corps with strong performances way down into the rankings; still enjoy listening to 16th place LI Kingsmen and 20th place Memphis Blues.

I'm wondering if the only completely random prelims draw was at the first DCI championship in 1972.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.... but weren't those prelims slots in '72 determined by when a corps sent in its application?

Heck, I might be wrong on both counts here. Won't be the first time or the last. :tongue:

Oops. double post.

Move along....nothing to see here.... :ph34r:

Edited by Fran Haring

I'm wondering if the only completely random prelims draw was at the first DCI championship in 1972.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.... but weren't those prelims slots in '72 determined by when a corps sent in its application?

Not entirely. The charter members appeared as a block late on day one of prelims.

By the way, this won't be the first time we've had 41 corps judged on the same day at a DCI championship. The 1995 division III prelims had that same number of contestants.

Not entirely. The charter members appeared as a block late on day one of prelims.

By the way, this won't be the first time we've had 41 corps judged on the same day at a DCI championship. The 1995 division III prelims had that same number of contestants.

Thanks, Ken!!! :thumbup:

My question is if there are any fans planning to sit for all 41 performances?

Honestly, if I were there for the Thursday show, I would sure try to see everyone. How cool would that be.... an old-fashioned marathon prelims show!

Maybe next year for me. We shall see.