Santa Clara Vanguard - GE Music and Brass Scores

......Championship teams don't happen overnight, want proof? Just look at the Cavaliers. After they won in 1995, it wasn't until 6 years later did their impeccable run begin.

They can happen almost overnight....if Hoppy is not pleased - he'll clean house without blinking an eyelash. Hoppy's not happy with second.

It's sooo difficult to get to the top tier - and even harder to stay there. Corps try to tweak things and perhaps the most important element is staff chemistry.

BD has had the most consistent staff and organization in the entire DCI era - and they have the rings to prove it.

If you're a kid with ambition - and want to compete at the highest level and can make it - would you be satisfied with 6th or lower?

I'm afraid SCV needs to look internal before they can look external.

Edited by LancerLegend
  • Like 1

Completely agree!!!! And the Staff Coordinators apparent ineptness to hire the 'right staff' has never been more highlighted! How many brass caption heads in the last seven years? How many Staff Coordinators? It's all in the numbers

Bingo!! Why do people just assume this person is qualified to and has the ability to make good decisions??

• Like 2

Bingo!! Why do people just assume this person is qualified to and has the ability to make good decisions??

YOU are kidding, right?

Denise is a WGI Hall of Famer, instructed and helped make staff decisions with 2 other DCI Legendary Corps, and is a Vice President at a Fortune 500 Company. She also made crucial staff decisions at Emerald Marquis.

So yes... a championship corps, WGI, a WGI Legend, and a Fortune 500 Company thinks she makes good decisions.

I'll go ahead and assume they are probably correct, and not a DCP lynch mob. :-P

• Like 3

YOU are kidding, right?

Denise is a WGI Hall of Famer, instructed and helped make staff decisions with 2 other DCI Legendary Corps, and is a Vice President at a Fortune 500 Company. She also made crucial staff decisions at Emerald Marquis.

So yes... a championship corps, WGI, a WGI Legend, and a Fortune 500 Company thinks she makes good decisions.

I'll go ahead and assume they are probably correct, and not a DCP lynch mob. :-P

Nope, not kidding. And I doubt she makes these decisions in a vaccum

• Like 2

YOU are kidding, right?

Denise is a WGI Hall of Famer and a WGI Legend a Fortune 500 Company thinks she makes good decisions ... not one of these traits or characteristics references the Santa Clara Vanguard! Are you referencing the Santa Clara Vanguard when you refer to a championship corps because I do not think she was member of the Vanguard staff in 2000, but I could be mistaken. Even if she was - it's been eleven years since a championship - hardly the sign of a successful staff coordinator.

What qualifies her to evaluate brass staffs, percussion staffs, and visual staff staffs; color guard staffs she is probably more than competent to evaluate, but again she did not assemble that great team for the winter guard! It was actually a previous caption head named Dave Meikle who hired Jon, Jim, Carol, and Andy.

The inner core of that organization has shielded itself from scrutiny an criticism under the veil of casting off staff after staff after staff - if it's time for another brass staff to go then I will be one of the first to sound off that 'Denise Must Go!'

• Like 2

Denise is a WGI Hall of Famer and a WGI Legend a Fortune 500 Company thinks she makes good decisions ... not one of these traits or characteristics references the Santa Clara Vanguard! Are you referencing the Santa Clara Vanguard when you refer to a championship corps because I do not think she was member of the Vanguard staff in 2000, but I could be mistaken. Even if she was - it's been eleven years since a championship - hardly the sign of a successful staff coordinator.

What qualifies her to evaluate brass staffs, percussion staffs, and visual staff staffs; color guard staffs she is probably more than competent to evaluate, but again she did not assemble that great team for the winter guard! It was actually a previous caption head named Dave Meikle who hired Jon, Jim, Carol, and Andy.

The inner core of that organization has shielded itself from scrutiny an criticism under the veil of casting off staff after staff after staff - if it's time for another brass staff to go then I will be one of the first to sound off that 'Denise Must Go!'

Cadets.

So much B.S. and not enough honesty. They did have one of the worst hornlines in the top 12 and this in now proven by the fact that SCV has done a brass staff change. Nuff said. Come on, members of this forum, start being honest and stop throwing out so many excuses.

Also...let's all admit that SCV 2010 and 2011 are not at the top of most DCI fan playlists. They need to go back to entertaining people.

Edited by Corbin

Cadets.

So what? Doesn't matter...they ain't SCV, and SCV ain't Cadets. To Cadets' credit, all they do is change their name every few years.

It would be interesting to read some thoughts from folks who marched the Red Team after 1992 to get their take, as they witnessed a number of ED changes. When I saw the Quarterfinals cinecast this year, heard the brass problems on the big screen then read the recap the following morning, I knew heads were going to roll on the brass side of the ledger after Saturday. Speaking from experience, I think that the kids would respond very well to someone like Rick South being a part of the brass program again; I know Rick is in different phase of life, but dang--- what an opportunity.

• Like 1

So what? Doesn't matter...they ain't SCV, and SCV ain't Cadets. To Cadets' credit, all they do is change their name every few years.

It would be interesting to read some thoughts from folks who marched the Red Team after 1992 to get their take, as they witnessed a number of ED changes. When I saw the Quarterfinals cinecast this year, heard the brass problems on the big screen then read the recap the following morning, I knew heads were going to roll on the brass side of the ledger after Saturday. Speaking from experience, I think that the kids would respond very well to someone like Rick South being a part of the brass program again; I know Rick is in different phase of life, but dang--- what an opportunity.

You're reading my mind.