Semifinals Webcast chat

Michael Boo: NO ONE parks and blows like BD. Egads.

^- well said! :)

WOW! Some criticism.

Update. Read his blog. Guess he typed the remark in a positive/admiration mode. Yes Mr. Boo, the KA is on it's way.

Edited by Ghost

Michael Boo: NO ONE parks and blows like BD. Egads.

^- well said! :)

Who am I to argue with Boo Boo.

Scores for Semi's

1. --

2. --

3. --

4. --

5. --

6. Santa Clara Vanguard--92.20

7. Bluecoats ..........--91.60

8. Boston Crusaders --90.35

9. Blue Knights ......--89.40

10. Madison Scouts --88.35

11. Bluestars ........ --87.00

12. Spirit of Atlanta --86.55

13. Glassmen ......--83.40

14. Troopers .......--83.20

15. The Academy --82.65

16. Colts ........... --82.25

17. Crossmen ...--81.05

18. Pacific Crest --77.75

19. Blue Devils B --76.45

20. Teal Sound ..--75.75

21. Mandarins ... --75.70

22. Oregon Cru --75.15

23. SCV Cadets --72.85

24. Cascades ... --72.20

25. Jersey Surf .. --71.50

Congrats to Cadet Corps. 23rd in the World.

SCVA - the Star that you wear on your tunic, the tilt of your Aussie, the shine on your Dinkles ... all symbols of the most consistent Drum Corps to EVER take the Field of Honor. (Not just score/placement wise). Our tradition guides us in everything we do.

Who else has a Cymbal Line that could take over a small country? Who else tries to make their toes touch their kneecaps on the fwd march? Who else is hard as slate on the outside but smooth 'n cool as Jello on the inside? Who else has Euphs and Barrys that hornsnap so fast you only see 2 frames: carry and horns-up? Who else does hornline parade-rest ripples that take <1 second? Or company fronts that bow <1inch? Who looks larger than life under the lights? Who can be heard 7 miles away on humid Nebraska morn? What exp. causes Marine Corps Officers and Enlisted men to say Boot Camp or OCS was "a joke?" Ill give u a hint, tomorrows your last day, Santa Clara.***

It is the staff that wrote your show, then rewrote it, etc ... the staff that set your itinerary based how last night's show went. The staff that pushed you to limits you never thought possible. One of them probably changed your life. Despite their excellence, in the tradition of Gale, Myron, Rick South, Dean Westman, Ralph Hardimon, Glen Crosby, Jim Casella and all the field trench-techs; Chris Williams, Bagel, Murray, Eppy, Belski, Eric Hand, et al.... The VICTORY will be yours and yours alone.

Remember: everything you do tomorrow, 8s &8s, timing, ..... cheesy poofs, the double beat, basics, triples, quads, chunks, the run-thru, even a ready-front ... could be your last ever. Think about that and cherish every second from revelie to taps.

So shine up, suit up, remember your training, keep your ears n eyes open ... then throw a gallon of emotion-gasoline on the field and light a match.

Then, "Take it home ...."

No dry eyez guyz. None.

When you play Clowns for the last time, you will cry, not quite sure how it works mechanically, but my body has been able to SOB and belt out double-G's.

***Paragraph NOT a knock on any other musical organization. I wanted to point out some strong suits that SCV is traditionally known for.

Edited by Tapper7
  • Like 1

Was it me or did beta freeze?

Yup, it's happened to me several times tonight.

Well BD sounds beautiful... in fact no one comes close IMO... but visually they are 6th at best.

• Like 2

Sigh. I'm liking BD musically fine this year, but please, not every musical idea can be best visually expressed in a block form.

Hot drum line. Between them and Cavaliers so far high perc.

I have a theory about the visual program. I'm sure no one in the know would ever admit to it either.

I think the lack of visual movement is probably a product of Wayne Downey not wanting to have the visual affect their chances at a brass title.

That might sound like a really rotten statement, but hear me out.

I'm sure David Gibbs could hire anyone he wants to write the drill. The fact is, they've had success with this visual formula. NO ONE CAN REFUTE THAT. Now why would they go a changin when they have no reason to? They know more movement or more advanced staging of the instruments would only affect their block style sound ... they know it would affect the tone quality etc etc etc. So again .. why would they change? Does it mean BD doesn't care about the fans? Who knows. I have my hangups with them for sure .. but at least they're playing some stuff I can enjoy on my iPod for the first time in many seasons.... many many seasons. BD has always been behind the times from a drill standpoint. I don't see it changing unless Gibbs/Downey/ScoJo are all in agreement. Even then, they should give their current drill designer a shot to write something "Out of the BD Box".

• Like 2