QF Penalties

It's the time of year when penalties creep into the scores for various reasons. Last night, it looked like the ONLY corps that got penalized were those in 40th and 41st place. I mean, if you break the rules, you break the rules, but come on, talk about adding insult to injury, especially when your final score is in the 40s!

of course, of course... just thought it was interesting.

Consider also that those were the first two corps on. No way for the T&P judge to know that there'd be no penalties for the remaining 39 corps.

• Like 1

I get the piling on point, but penalties have to be consistently enforced at least within the same show for the judging system to have some integrity. What if you were the judge responsible for that and let the penalty violations pass on corps 40 and 41 because you felt sympathy for them, or felt it really wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things, or felt it was better to encourage them. Then the top two corps come on and break the same two rules, and the penalties are enough to change the outcome. Now what do you do? If you call them on their violations, they're going to come back on you for letting it pass earlier, and if you don't, corps that would have moved up will come down on you. You do your job by calling it the same for everybody and keeping your own agenda (encouraging those who struggle at the bottom) out of it.

The scoresheets that show a penalty never say what rule was violated that triggered it. As you may know, common issues that can trigger penalties are starting or ending late, or illegally using or positioning equipment on the field, or illegally crossing field boundaries. Penalized corps are normally told what a penalty was for. Sometimes somebody on DCP knows and posts it. Sometimes it's mentioned in a DCW article. You don't always find out, though.

The scoresheets that show a penalty never say what rule was violated that triggered it. As you may know, common issues that can trigger penalties are starting or ending late, or illegally using or positioning equipment on the field, or illegally crossing field boundaries. Penalized corps are normally told what a penalty was for. Sometimes somebody on DCP knows and posts it. Sometimes it's mentioned in a DCW article. You don't always find out, though.

I'm fine with it.

The 40th and 41st place corps (especially) started WAY too high on the World sheets. Seriously, you cannot tell me they were achieving at a Box 2 to 2 1/2 and higher. But because we're all winners in life, it was a nice bone they were tossed.

It was especially interesting to see how those two bottom groups scored the closest to their actual Open sheet score, while the higher groups were the furthest away from their score (some almost 25 points lower!!). That's because after about the first 6 or 7 groups, IMO, the judges realized they boxed themselves in and had to start leveling things off a bit.

I did support all of the groups, and was glad to see the entire Open Class field at QF's, but I think the judges have to be realistic next time with the first few.

I'm fine with it.

The 40th and 41st place corps (especially) started WAY too high on the World sheets. Seriously, you cannot tell me they were achieving at a Box 2 to 2 1/2 and higher. But because we're all winners in life, it was a nice bone they were tossed.

It was especially interesting to see how those two bottom groups scored the closest to their actual Open sheet score, while the higher groups were the furthest away from their score (some almost 25 points lower!!). That's because after about the first 6 or 7 groups, IMO, the judges realized they boxed themselves in and had to start leveling things off a bit.

I did support all of the groups, and was glad to see the entire Open Class field at QF's, but I think the judges have to be realistic next time with the first few.

I had the opportunity to talk to the director of on of those corps mentioned and he said the kids were happy to get one more, and they were appreciative for the chance.