What is [Insert Corps] best era, according to you?

I am trying to make myself a playlist of shows to watch and listen to from years past of many corps. Since I have nothing to watch on TV now (nor do I even own a TV), this is my entertainment LOL!

Ok, so the rules for this are...

1. Name a corps

2. Pick YOUR favorite era for that corps.

3. The "era" must be in a continuous range between 2 and 5 years.

4. You can name an era for as many corps as you wish, but only one era per corps.

5. [Optional] Please say why you chose that era.

6. Lastly, if you can, please pick a corps that would allow me to watch them on The Fan Network.

Example:

"X" Corps

Favorite Era: 1993-1997

Why? Because they played this type of music.

Thanks for participating!

Carolina Crown

2004-present

Starting with "Bohemia," the corps has found its voice and identity. There has been noticeable improvement every year. Crown has evolved from 'the corps that could' to 'fan favorite' to 'high brass' with "Rach Star."

The Cavaliers

1999-present

I'm hesitant to put an end date on this era because of their constant visual innovations. For me, it began in 1999 with "The Planets," which to me remains Cavies' signature show (2004's "007" is second).

it began in 1999 with "The Planets," which to me remains Cavies' signature show

FYI, "The Planets" that you're probably referring to was their 1995 championship show (though they had played The Planets before that). 1999 WAS, however, the first instance of the "diamond cutter," but most people just remember that from Niagara Falls, their 2000 show.

For some reason, 99 felt "late" for The Planets. I remember when choosing a car stereo, I put in a CD of this show before deciding which one I'd buy.

The Cavaliers

2000-2004

They were a point and change from a 5-peat. And I think many could agree that Spin Cycle would have easily won if it was done during some other seasons. It was championship caliber.

Niagara Falls, Four Corners, Frameworks, Spin Cycle, 007

My Goodness. That might be a strong contender for Best 5-Year Run in DCI History....and their "fall" from it has hardly been sharp or very far, as they've stayed in the Top 3 ever since excepting one year, and they brought home an additional title. And I don't think they're done with winning, either. I predict another in 2012 worthy.gifthumbup.giflookaround.gif

EDIT: Oh, and as for why: It had it all. AMAZING visual programs. The music was very good to great (2000, 2002, 2004 being personal favorites). Innovative without really deviating into controversial territory (electronics, etc)

Edited by PhantomCav
  • Like 1

Blue Devils - I'm going to break your rule slightly and list two. If you're looking for old school drum corps, the 1976-80 corps is a good choice. For "modern" BD I think the 2007-2010 corps... yeah... one drum judge short of a fourpeat. It's BD at the top of their game.

Cadets - while the numbers might suggest 1993-1997 or 1994-1998 (1 title and 4 runners up), I think creatively the 1989-1993 run of corps might be their most entertaining. Les Miserables, Bernstein, Adams/Copland/Bernstein, Holsinger and Holsinger. Even while some of the corps (cough'91cough) didn't place so well, especially today the shows have a very modern flair to them. And Les Miserables is still a classic.

Cavaliers - 2000-2004. Both competitively and artistically, there wasn't a down show in the bunch. I think the 2001 Four Corners show is highly underrated. The drum feature is an absolute stunner. And the further away we get from Spin Cycle, the more I think we realize just how #### good they were. I think only an absolutely timeless performance from BD held them off.

Phantom Regiment - So many good shows, but not so many runs where there wasn't a down year mixed in there. 2003 - 2007 is a good choice (Harmonic Journey / Apasionada 874 / Rhapsody / Faust / On Air), or if you want to go retro, 1989 - 1993 (New World Symphony, Saent-Saens, Opera music, 1812, Ginastera/Shostakovich/Death Hunt). The 1989 show is worth adding to any playlist.

Carolina Crown - Honestly, their most modern incarnation is by far my favorite - 2007-2011. (Triple Crown / Finis / Grass is Greener / Second Chance / Rach Star) I think at this point they'd finally figured out what they wanted to be, and they of course do it so well, especially with brass.

Madison Scouts - Also kind of difficult, for as many good shows as Madison has done, they aren't usually in a run of consecutive years. For me personally, I... have to cheat a bit and add a year. 1992-1997, and you can go ahead and drop 1993. (City of Angels / Malaga / *that* Madison show / Part Dos / Pirates of Lake Mendota) I think that was the apex of Madison's crowd-pleasing era; while they had good and well-received shows in 1998 and 1999, I think they were downhill from the previous set of years.

Bluecoats - Go with the modern - 2007-2011 (Criminal, Knockout, Imagine, Metropolis, Brave New World). Much like Crown, starting in '07 the Bluecoats also figured out who they wanted to be, and I think you can see and hear it in these productions. The 2010 Metropolis show is a particular standout, though the 2008 Knockout show may be my personal favorite.

Oh, and finally, Crossmen (1990-1994). I don't think this one is even up for debate. One of the signature drumlines of DCI history, and if you don't end up toe-tapping along with them, it's because you were born without toes or something. 1992-3-4 are a rare trilogy of shows.

Sorry for the long-windedness!

Mike

For me, I would say Madison from 94-99. Every one of those shows -

with 95 and 97 being the best - are crowd pleasers. I also think

they could be entering a new era that is similar. 2010 and 2011 have

been a great move back to that kind of entertainment and we'll see

if that trend continues for 2012 and beyond.

Also, Santa Clara had a great run of intense shows from 1999-2004, with

my favorites being 2000 and 2002.

Edited by madalumni

Spirit of Atlanta 1979-1980. To sit in the stands and listen to arguably the LOUDEST hornline that I can remember ever hearing............. :worthy::worthy::worthy: