APDs

Ok,

I downloaded all of them, burned to cd and listened to the first few corps driving to band camp today. Please don't flame me, because I am not looking to start trouble. Just a concern, after listening, they sounded kind of bass heavy with not much treble, almost like the treble was filtered out. My car stereo isn't great, so I tried listening on my imac at school, and it still sounded like that. Just wanted to make drumcat aware - again, maybe its just me, but I know sometimes in the past bad APD's came out by accident and were re-released.

Everybody else please check yours and send your opinion - again, it could just be me.

Thanks

Lee

It is a little bass heavy, but I'm sure that's because of it being in a dome with goo. That might make the treble seem a tad recessed. It may be imbalanced toward the low end, but like drumcat said it's probably accurate to how it sounded live.

p.s. Drumcat, is it me or is Crown's speaker totally blown out for the preshow?

I was about to ask the same thing. I hear intermittent static coming from Crown's FE during the pre-show. I don't really notice it during the show itself. Its really noticeable during the purple haze guitar like sounds.

I see how it is. Phantom bumps their microphone so he uses Friday's show instead. But Crown's speaker explodes and that gets through?...

Kidding drumcat mate. Love you man! :tongue:

It is a little bass heavy, but I'm sure that's because of it being in a dome with goo. That might make the treble seem a tad recessed. It may be imbalanced toward the low end, but like drumcat said it's probably accurate to how it sounded live.

Yes. But in golf-speak, they say "play it as it lies" regarding amps...

I was about to ask the same thing. I hear intermittent static coming from Crown's FE during the pre-show. I don't really notice it during the show itself. Its really noticeable during the purple haze guitar like sounds.

Having sat near Mike Boo for that show, let me assure you that was... well... an accurate representation. I really enjoyed that opening, so it was surprising to hear that.

Yes, I remember this from the cinecast. This was the case on and off during the season. I believe it was not there for finals... can't check right now. Anyone recall?

Bought my three faves musically from the season (Crossmen, Phantom, Crown). They all sound fantastic. Thanks Mat! :worthy:

As to the note about being bass-heavy, I think it does sound about right for middle-of-the-stands on my system. Being indoors pumps up the low frequencies.

First of all, got the bundle, LOVE IT! Thank you so much for getting this out so quickly, I have been wearing out the CDs that I burned already.

Question: Where were the mics in relation to the speakers? I only ask because just about all of the sound effects / spoken word, etc. sounds like it is somewhat muted, as if the speakers were actually behind the mics. Not complaining AT ALL, as this allows me a clean listen to the horns and drums, just wondering really. What say you drumcat?

2. Who uses CDs anymore really? I have almost 90 days worth of music on my external hard drive that is barely bigger than my iPhone.

I do.

I may not listen to CD's on a daily basis but I still use them as master source files for my MP3 player. On your iPhone or in your car MP3's sound fine but in an acoustically tuned room on a nice system no way.

Imagine a world where Finals are archived only in lo bit rate MP3 and Youtube quality video. I'll take CD's and Blu-ray any day.

• Like 1

I do.

I may not listen to CD's on a daily basis but I still use them as master source files for my MP3 player. On your iPhone or in your car MP3's sound fine but in an acoustically tuned room on a nice system no way.

Imagine a world where Finals are archived only in lo bit rate MP3 and Youtube quality video. I'll take CD's and Blu-ray any day.

I can understand that as well. On the flip side, Vinyl technically has a better sound quality that cds do as well. a lot of audiophiles still prefer vinyl to the cd.

In the same manner that cds replaced records due to their conveience, digital file formats are quickly replacing the CD. In theory, DCI could simply release the raw .wav file but the size of those files and the amount of bandwidth it would use make it a bit impractical.

There is somethng to be said for actually having the record or CD in your hands and experiencing the artwork included but the ease of being able to carry it all in my pocket outweighs lugging around cds and cases between my home, my car, and my office. I personally don't think a good quality mp3 sounds that bad. the 320k files provided by DCI are fine for me. If they were 48 or 96k mp3 files, that would be a different story.