APDs

If you know that you'll never need those CD's again, the local library might be interested in them. Even a small tax write-off is better than nothing.

That's actually a really great idea! It's a good way to help more kids discover drum corps. Funny story, I didn't know DCI existed until I accidentally found it on "the site that shall not be named." :tongue:

Funny story, I didn't know DCI existed until I accidentally found it on "the site that shall not be named." :tongue:

Have you posted your discovery story elsewhere on DCP? If not, please tell us about it. I'm curious to know how people find out about DCI.

I may have been aware of DCI on PBS back in the 80s, but I didn't really know what drum corps was until my band director invited me to come to a drum corps show in Little Rock in 1991. Got to see Star late in the season. What a great introduction that was!

• Like 1

Have you posted your discovery story elsewhere on DCP? If not, please tell us about it. I'm curious to know how people find out about DCI.

I may have been aware of DCI on PBS back in the 80s, but I didn't really know what drum corps was until my band director invited me to come to a drum corps show in Little Rock in 1991. Got to see Star late in the season. What a great introduction that was!

I'm so JEALOUS! I didn't even know what Drum Corps was when Star was around. *sad face*

My first introduction was through my band director in Fall 1999 when he showed us Phantom 1991 (Phantom Voices) because we were doing a watered down arrangement of that show. But, it didn't really stick with me until Fall 2000 when I saw the Finals on PBS. That last tenor solo from Cadets 2000 blew my little high school mind! lol. From there I branched out into the entire percussion feature, then the whole show and the rest is history.

Edited by KakkoiiOtaku

My 'discovery story' went more or less like this:

Email from son (forwarding email from high school band director): Hey, there's this summer group I might want to audition for. My teacher thinks it's a great opportunity. Thoughts?

Me: Huh?

Son: It's called drum corps international.

Me: drum what?

Son: Oh, and there's an audition in four days. It's only a 400-mile drive.

Me: (after cursory reading on websites) It sounds like the Army. Weekend drills, boot camp, and you'll be sleeping on gym floors and riding 11,000 miles in a bus. Is that really how you want to spend your summer?

Next thing I knew, I'd been cc'd on an email from son to high school band director: "Hey, my parents agree that this sounds like a great opportunity!"

And the rest is history.

postscript: In another life, 17 years ago, I helped organize a conference in Indianapolis and hired Bill Cook's charter bus company to ferry some of the participants back and forth from the airport. At the time, I was told that the bus company was founded to provide transportation for Mr. Cook's "marching band," which struck me at the time as an eccentric hobby. After a few months on DCP, I made the connection to Star of Indiana. I wish now I had asked a few more questions at the time about that "marching band."

• Like 3

I may have, but I'm not sure. I was really into marching band (which was odd considering my band was non-competitive) and was looking for some shows by other bands in my area, and out of nowhere I stumbled upon Cavies 2002. That show got me really interested, and after watching my second show on the site (Cavies 2006), I started realizing that this was not just another marching band. So I did dozens of Google searches to find out what it was and one thing led to another.

After my first year of drum corps in Open Class (at the time Division II/III) I felt like I didn't achieve the level that the Cavaliers did in those videos and wasn't sure if I wanted to keep up with it, but little did I know at the time that my high school's guard designer is pretty well-known in the drum corps world. She saw me wearing my corps jacket at band camp and we shared a few stories, and then I decided to keep doing it regardless of what kind of show I performed. Now I'm hooked!

Edited by MetalTones2012

I think it's time to start a new thread about discovering DCI. I like these stories! Is it June yet? :tongue:

• Like 1

I have a question about the Blue Knights recording. Will the prerecorded vocal song at the beginning be included?

What about the vocal opener for BAC?

Also, what about the prerecorded vocals in the Cavies show?

Sorry about all the questions at once, but after the prerecorded vocal track at the beginning of the 2010 Cavies show was cut out I was kind of upset. I was wondering if that's going to happen again.

Sorry about all the questions at once, but after the prerecorded vocal track at the beginning of the 2010 Cavies show was cut out I was kind of upset. I was wondering if that's going to happen again.

Hmm, the Cavies pre-show was all on the CD including the Mad World clip. I remember it getting trimmed from the QF APDs (along with all the other preshows) when they were first released, but I thought DCI had changed their minds about that after we #####ed on here about losing half of Crown's opener. I know they restored many of the pre-shows on the APDs...