Ticket Sales for Indy Were Up in 2011

Thanks for the report! I think that the 'eye test' proved it, but I also heard some naysayers drop the "it's wristbands" excuse.

Great year for drum corps... attendance up at most shows all season, souvie sales up 30% during championships, and lots of great drum corps to be watched.

No bad news there!

It did look more full, to me, as well (which can be unreliable, because unlike the DCI guy's estimate, that includes freebies, plus nobody can see lower and upper decks very well there).

To me, if attendance went up this year despite a year in which travel is off compared to 2010 due to the economy and gas prices), it's because the shows were more entertaining.

When DCI started the long run at Lucas Oil, I posted here that 2011, Year Three, would be the year that would tell them whether they'd made the right choice or a mistake, because Year Two (in a row) is almost always down from Year One, and Year Three in Orlando and Madison were down from Year Two as well, which suggested that a long-term home for DCI would not work financially. Maybe it will.

I have to believe media and souvie sales will be up, as well. It was just a better product this year. If that doesn't convince the directors to heed Michael Cesario's advice, nothing will.

Ticket sales for this 2011 DCI Championships bounced back this year. Let me say that another way so there is no mistake. Ticket sales were higher. Heard it directly from a senior DCI official.

That is good news, indeed. :thumbup:

Just my opinion, but to me this was easily one of the best years for DCI in terms of overall entertainment value. Maybe that had something to do with the increase in ticket sales... I don't know.

More tickets sold = a good thing.

Entertainment value was up CONSIDERABLY from last year and 2009. So that would be a lot of the explanation.

• Like 1

The stability is looking like it's working. While have Finals around the country was great. Now we get to have Indy as the home base for DCI, BOA, PASIC, and the ability to built long term relationships like with the local news community from this year.

Also more open class corps were probably still in town than usual. That is a lot more corps members in the crowd. Entertainment, and they marketed better this year I believe. And it helped that the Cadets were up for the gold. Not that bad to travel from points east. I guarantee you that if it was a similar year as last year, (nothing interesting really going on) attendance would be similar.

I STILL WANT TO SEE PUBLISHED NUMBERS FROM DCI. Word of mouth means #### to me this day. No offense to how credible your source and you may be. Haven't see a number since what? 2007?

• Like 4

The stability is looking like it's working. While have Finals around the country was great. Now we get to have Indy as the home base for DCI, BOA, PASIC, and the ability to built long term relationships like with the local news community from this year.

That is key. Get the locals out. Wonder how many day of ticket sales there were? Maybe the parade helped?

Entertainment value was up CONSIDERABLY from last year and 2009. So that would be a lot of the explanation.

And by considerably... just look at 12-17 WOW all goo drum corps.. Even 25th wasn't bad! There wasn't one show that I saw that completely turned me off.

Sorry for the numerous posts... trying to catch up to Jeff..........

or I'm just scatterbrained today.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife