Ticket Sales for Indy Were Up in 2011

Ticket sales for this 2011 DCI Championships bounced back this year. Let me say that another way so there is no mistake. Ticket sales were higher. Heard it directly from a senior DCI official.

I realize this will be deeply disappointing to those on DCP who would prefer to believe that a guilty DCI is on the verge of ruin. Not yet. I further realize many will challenge my veracity. No matter.

The truth is the truth. I'm not talking about wristband kids filling empties. This is tickets sold. More of them.

Well, I hope your senior DCI official turns out to be correct. Just so that I know what to celebrate....is it finals, all three WC events, or the entire championship week that had increased ticket sales?

• Like 1

...it's not your veracity that is of a concern, it's the quality if the information you were given. I hardly expect a "senior DCI official" to blurt out "Yeah, attendance sucks", and I would expect him to put the best possible face on the numbers.

The truth that you're passing on is the truth to you, but it speaks nothing of the truth in what you were told...

Fair enough. All I can tell you is I have no reason to doubt his account. He surely is privy to such information. And nothing in the circumstances surrounding our discussion gave me any reason to doubt what he said or why he said it.

I realize I am just a pseudonym and some initials around here and thus no prophet proper. Neither however am I one to proffer false facts in these threads. Opinions I have plenty. Misleading with disinformation or innuendo? Not me.

This might be as close as we get to the facts in this matter. Some might want to get ready to reconcile themselves to the possiblity that Indy isn't a total failure.

HH

Well, I hope your senior DCI official turns out to be correct. Just so that I know what to celebrate....is it finals, all three WC events, or the entire championship week that had increased ticket sales?

I don't know. I didn't ask. I assumed he was referring to finals on Saturday. But that was my assumption.

HH

I hope it's true.

Same here, much as that might surprise some people that I say that...

Hope that increase is more than just Saturday night...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

This might be as close as we get to the facts in this matter. Some might want to get ready to reconcile themselves to the possiblity that Indy isn't a total failure.

Well, we keep pointing out that the relative success/failure of Indianapolis as a long-term championship site is not measured exclusively by number of tickets sold, but rather, by the overall cost/benefit equation. (Not to mention that Indy is just part of the season-long cost/benefit equation for DCI.)

Fair enough. All I can tell you is I have no reason to doubt his account. He surely is privy to such information. And nothing in the circumstances surrounding our discussion gave me any reason to doubt what he said or why he said it.

I realize I am just a pseudonym and some initials around here and thus no prophet proper. Neither however am I one to proffer false facts in these threads. Opinions I have plenty. Misleading with disinformation or innuendo? Not me.

HH

I can second this account. I spoke with most of the DCI office staff at varying points throughout the weekend, and this, along with 30% souvie sales increases across the board, was confirmed.

On the drive home, my son mentioned that during the Crown pre-show, he gets a chance to scope out the crowd from around mid-field. He said this year was a significant increase over 2010 for Finals.

Again, this is just people in seats, not necessarily revenue. But, I hope the trend continues.

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 1