Where were you when you heard Elvis died?

I was driving the Garfield staff Winnebago into the housing parking lot when one of the contra players (John Schneider, I believe) came running up and said, "Elvis died, and they caught Berkowitz!"

I got the Elvis part but asked, "Who the hell is Berkowitz?" No one knew his name until he was apprehended: the Boston Strangler.

We tied the Kilties for 12th that night.

I got the Elvis part but asked, "Who the hell is Berkowitz?" No one knew his name until he was apprehended: the Boston Strangler.

David Berkowitz actually was the Son of Sam killer.

After we in the Sunrisers that summer had seen a picture of David Berkowitz after he was arrested, we realized we had a soprano player in the corps who could have been the guy's twin brother. The resemblance was uncanny.

So, from then on, the sop player's nickname was "Berkowitz." :tongue:

On the Presley thing...I remember going to a Sun rehearsal at Hofstra and seeing the marquee in front of Nassau Coliseum with a message commemorating Elvis.

We were at my grandmother's apartment in Denver. My aunt/uncle were visiting from California. My uncle (who was notorious for his jokes), came back from the building's recreation room and told us, "Did you hear Elvis has died?" We rolled our eyes and gave him a skeptical look and waited for the punchline. It took him a few times of "no really...." before we actually believed him.

Edited by Marianne

I was sitting in The Cavaliers' drum bus in the parking lot of an Arby's in Laramie, Wyoming when someone started talking about it. I remember some of the guys knew it before I did. I didn't think much about it at the time because I wasn't aware that Elvis was still alive. No disrespect to Elvis...but he wasn't on my radar. Still, I find it weird that I remember I was in the parking lot of an Arby's when I found out.

I was on a practice field in boulder and Bruce Leo came out and told us. Garfield beat us for 12th place that year. :sad:

I remember Bayonne had been DQ'd, and their busses where near ours. They got an injunction to perform at finals and their corps erupted in celebration. John2780 - do you remember that?

Yes James I do remeber them jumpin for joy that they were getting the chance to perform.

Edited by john2780

No one knew his name until he was apprehended: the Boston Strangler.

Some even say the Albert Disalvo wasn't the strangler either !

This was actually the summer before I started marching drum corps. My family had just moved to Evansville, Indiana, and I was getting ready to start my first year of university. Hadn't done band camp (such as it was) yet. A friend of my mom's was visiting, and they were all sitting in the backyard chatting. I heard the news on the radio and went down to tell them. My parents were never Elvis fans, but even they were shocked to hear that he had died.

It's not Elvis, but in 1978 the Pope passed on just before tour (you can look it up).

That was pretty wacky... going through two popes (Paul XI and John Paul I) within the space of a couple of months.