Madison

Is that why they played that last song? It didn't fit with the rest of the music. I love their show but the last song just didn't fit with the rest of their show IMO.

Are you serious? :blink:

• Like 1

It seems permission was granted for an insurance company to use the song along with the video for a commercial during a football game today. I have watched close to a dozen times, so far.

I saw that. It seems Spike Lee is better connected than DCI :blink:

• Like 1

This almost can be looked at, "as a designer, I think this show will give me maximum points for judges, and even if we can't get sync rights for DVD's/live streams I'm OK because I'm hoping to do well competitively at the expense of diminishing the DVD/live stream products." I know ALL corps want to maximize their scores, but Scouts were the only corps to attempt this in 2011 w/out obtaining all proper rights.

If the final goal is to create a DVD for sale, I can see this point of view.

However ....

DCI is a live performance medium. In a live setting there were no legal hurdles regarding ESOM. Yes it sucks for the Scouts performers and fans (and to a smaller degree for DCI (although I really don't believe it will impact DVD sales much if at all)) BUT to suggest that somehow the MS made poor decisions (or even worse -- unethical decisions) is a bunch of poo. They were completely cleared to *perform* the piece. Moreover I don't think they *chose* to use a piece to which they *knew* they couldn't get the sync rights. They had a good faith expectation that those rights would eventually be secured.

Just as an addition -- the live streams were unaffected by the sync rights -- ESOM was heard on every live stream.

I understand the argument "what if all corps chose to music without sync rights" and agree this would be a problem.

I also agree that ideally all rights (including sync) should be secured *before* committing to a piece of music in a show. But sometimes the real world gets in the way of the ideal world and people make assumptions that turn out to be wrong.

Securing ALL required rights was not a problem for any 2011 DCI corps except for Scouts. It wasn't too impractical for every other corps in DCI to program shows that cleared all required rights and permissions.

And the reason could very well be because, for all the other selections chosen by every other corps, there was not the long laundry list of copyright holders to go through that exists for "Empire State of Mind." And, again, all it takes is one holdout to nullify all those who did grant permission. Just because it didn't happen to other corps this season doesn't mean no other corps was ever going to run into this at some point.

newsflash: go on facebook you can get the full audio show for free. thanks madison.

Where? I'm not finding it.

I would say that the people with the right to say yes or no were financially compensated appropriately by an entity who could pay for the rights as opposed to a non-profit hoping to get a break.

Well, we could debate whether it was "appropriate" or greed, but yeah, I have a feeling that money talks once again. Again, it would be interesting to know if all but one granted permission, or it was more than one who said no.

Edited by byline

Where? I'm not finding it.

Well, we could debate whether it was "appropriate" or greed, but yeah, I have a feeling that money talks once again. Again, it would be interesting to know if all but one granted permission, or it was more than one who said no.

facebook... MADISON SCOUTS! You can find it there, very classy!