I agree.

The kilts are unique to them and it gives DCA variety.

BUT...

Like the OP said, visual it ruins them. If they can find a way to make the kilt give them an advantage like you said then great! Until then I too would have to vote to lose the kilts.

I believe the Kilties' uniform should stay AS IS......including spats. To wear black bibs and black shoes sans spats for scoring advantage is as bogus as a rifle catch followed quickly by a rifle section mass dip...(yeah, we don't notice you picking up the rifles)..... If you want the points, stay in step and catch the equipment. The Kilties are up for that..... I enjoyed their 2010 show tremendously. They are one of my favorites, as is. Kiltie Klass with a touch of Madison...... keep it unique.

Joe Dz in NJ

I agree.

The kilts are unique to them and it gives DCA variety.

BUT...

Like the OP said, visual it ruins them. If they can find a way to make the kilt give them an advantage like you said then great! Until then I too would have to vote to lose the kilts.

Yeah, I don't really buy that kilts automatically ruin visual. I have sat and watched many corps in DCA with their black pants and black shoes march like complete crap. Just because you can mitigate the visual effect of bad marching more easily with pants doesn't change the fact that bad marching is bad marching. And there have been years in the near past where Kilties have had great feet and technique and the visual was enhanced by it.

The only negative to me of the Kilties uniform is that the tams are not all identical nor are they all worn in the same way, the plaids are not worn uniformly, and the sporrans are not identical either. Its not that there are all sorts of things on the Kilties uniform that are swinging and swaying, its that they are not swinging and swaying the same way on every member. Any visual effect is fine as long as its uniform. Its is why no one ever came up with this criticism of the Jr Kilties.

I would have to agree on the mismatched sporrans and the variety in ways that the plaid is worn. However if you look back at the Jr Kilties you will see a wide variance in the manner in which the tam was worn\shaped even back in the DCI days.

I agree about the sporrans, especially. i still think a peasant kilt is worth considering....but the day they become cookie-cutter with pants will be a horrible day for drum corps.

• Like 1

The Kilties are more likely to switch to Bb horns than abandon the kilts.

Oh, and that first part isn't happening anytime soon either.

• Like 1

I agree about the sporrans, especially. i still think a peasant kilt is worth considering....but the day they become cookie-cutter with pants will be a horrible day for drum corps.

This link will show a photo of what I have in mind, with a different tartan, of course:

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/kilts/ancient-kilts/braveheart-rustic-wool-ancient-kilts.html

Edited by bigbluekiltie

This link will show a photo of what I have in mind, with a different tartan, of course:

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/kilts/ancient-kilts/braveheart-rustic-wool-ancient-kilts.html

I like the idea of carrying a claymore during a show. :cool:

As for the boots, our DM already wears them at shows and from what I've heard her say, they're not things I'd want to march in. :wink:

This is an Ancient Tartan kilt, what is referred to as "the whole nine yards". Nine yards of tartan to produce the kilt. Good choice if you are looking to outfit a reenactment or a movie production. Bad choice if you are looking to outfit a drumcorps. (Just my 2 cents).

I agree about the boots...but what could be done is members could wear marching shoes with a vinyl or leather extension that goes almost to the knee so that it would appear as if they were wearing leather boots. I think the look would be awesome

I like the idea of carrying a claymore during a show. :cool:

As for the boots, our DM already wears them at shows and from what I've heard her say, they're not things I'd want to march in. :wink: