DCI World Class Finals Retreat 2011

That's fair, but though certain corps were "without proper guard," I really don't believe they were "trolling along as if [it were] a burden."

Isn't that putting words in their mouths?

See my post - the description above is completely accurate.

See my post - the description above is completely accurate.

Fair enough.

I guess I was mainly referring to the corps described in the original post at Finals, since I wasn't at the parade. My fault!

I suspect that threads like this will just cause more and more corps to forego displaying the colors at all. If that was the OP's intent, congratulations.

If it's not going to be presented properly, good. There are other ways to display the flag and/or honor our country.

• Like 2

Yes, and when three rows over a group of teenagers is drowning puppies, they are ALSO honoring and respecting the flag "in their own way."

...give me a break! That had nothing to do with my submission!

Oh please, your premise is that we need not follow an archaic set of codes to honor the American Flag. Fine, just invite me over for dinner; I will use my hands to shovel food into my mouth instead of politely using utensils, I will fart when desired, and then belch out a huge thank you using the split pea soup based on your same reasoning (the dinner table codes of behavior taught to me by my parents are just as archaic as the American Flag Code). There are certain codes and parameters which should be taught, and adhered to, within this country based on this very important word: Respect.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 5

It is rather ironic that you began your posting with a phrase containing the word respect; because that is exactly what is being discussed in this thread. The most honorable position in any situation is to be the person carrying the United States flag; it should be guarded not only in real combat (which by the way when the flag bearer goes down it is an honor for a soldier to lay down his weapon, pick up the flag, and continue moving forward into battle), but the U.S. flag should also be guarded in spirit with ceremonial dignity when on display in non-combat situations. To call this act of respect archaic, antiquated, trite, or any other terminology which belittles the U.S. flag is to symbolically spit in the face of the millions of people who have laid their lives on the line to give you the freedom to disagree with me on this matter.

Well-said. Bravo.

If it's not going to be presented properly, good. There are other ways to display the flag and/or honor our country.

I agree with this sentiment.

Given the OP's (and other's) apparent displeasure at their absence at retreat, I'm not sure many others agree.

Personally I think a little education would solve the whole issue. As others have pointed out, this is the only full retreat left in DCI. If people care enough to #####, they should care enough to teach.

I agree with this sentiment.

Given the OP's (and other's) apparent displeasure at their absence at retreat, I'm not sure many others agree.

Personally I think a little education would solve the whole issue. As others have pointed out, this is the only full retreat left in DCI. If people care enough to #####, they should care enough to teach.

Ehhh, are you sure about education solving the issue? The official U.S. Flag code has been presented in this thread and some here still think the Flag is nothing more than a logo, and the the code itself is archaic as well as not necessary.