DCI World Class Finals Retreat 2011

That's fair, but though certain corps were "without proper guard," I really don't believe they were "trolling along as if [it were] a burden."

Isn't that putting words in their mouths?

Geez, you can't read my mind??? Sigh, I guess I have to explain. :tongue:

I apologize. I neglected to give my comment its context: I had posted something earlier about the parade on Saturday and how the honor guards and flag bearers were behaving. I've not seen any of the corps at retreats treating the flag as a burden. (the parade, on the other hand....)

My point wasn't about the type of flag pole utilized. To my knowledge, there is no such stipulation.

This is my contention:

If you are going to present a flag, present a flag. Do not purport that it is a military color guard by adding a weapon and attempting to execute some artistic vision of what a color guard is.

There are SPECIFIC protocols to presenting a color guard detail.

Present the flag in some other fashion. I'm not saying that it isn't right to do so. I'm saying that corps either need to figure out what a real color guard is or stop trying to look like something inspired by a military color guard detail

There is a difference between these two:

342220_q75.jpg

1188714959_ed385560d5.jpg

A saber held backwards at an imaginary Port Arms next to an American flag being held as per how it is held when spinning is NOT a color guard. It's some guard instructor's interpretation of a color guard.

I've found that most people are cooperative about learning more about proper protocols. Before my high school band marched in the Inauguration Day Parade, our directors, knowing I was a member of our JROTC program, asked me about proper color guard protocol. Our band's color guard detail was changed from something similar to Crown's in that picture to follow the protocols of an actual color guard unit.

Really? This is Drum Corps not the military. Does it really matter if they have a proper 'full colour guard' that they have the flag with a fake rifle in case someone is going run on the field and steal it? Maybe it's because I'm Canadian but this seems to be blown way out of proportion to me. Whenever we had a parade or retreat we always had a Canadian flag, sometimes a provincial flag and yes I do think we have a rifle or two, but I don't ever recall being judges on our colour guard', or given a lesson in proper colour guard. Really as long as the flags never touched the ground is all we were worried about.

• Like 4

Honestly, it takes about 10 seconds to get this right. It's not like it's adding days of rehearsal into a schedule or anything. Extra effort is what drum corps is all about - and doing it right the first time is easy. It's not rocket science, it's simple respect and discipline.

• Like 1

Really? This is Drum Corps not the military. Does it really matter if they have a proper 'full colour guard' that they have the flag with a fake rifle in case someone is going run on the field and steal it? Maybe it's because I'm Canadian but this seems to be blown way out of proportion to me. Whenever we had a parade or retreat we always had a Canadian flag, sometimes a provincial flag and yes I do think we have a rifle or two, but I don't ever recall being judges on our colour guard', or given a lesson in proper colour guard. Really as long as the flags never touched the ground is all we were worried about.

Yes, it matters that there is some sense of dignity in the carriage of the flag and its honor guard, even if the equipment of the guard is fake.

I bolded the part about the lesson for a reason: the lesson any honor guard (or a whole drum corps) should get is not just about the mechanics, but the tradition, the dignity, and the respect that is reflected in the carrying out of a proper guard.

• Like 1

Ehhh, are you sure about education solving the issue? The official U.S. Flag code has been presented in this thread and some here still think the Flag is nothing more than a logo, and the the code itself is archaic as well as not necessary.

I don't think that has anything at all to do with what happens at retreat.

If DCI simply informed the finalist corps "this is what your honor guard should look like" my guess is they would all comply. I think it's sheer ignorance at work here. As an earlier poster noted, this is the ONLY retreat the entire season; the days of honor guards marching shows are long gone in DCI. IMO the right information is simply not getting to the right people in a timely manner.

B####### about it here accomplishes absolutely nothing (except to reinforce the "dinos are just a bunch of cranks" stereotype).

• Like 1

I don't think that has anything at all to do with what happens at retreat.

If DCI simply informed the finalist corps "this is what your honor guard should look like" my guess is they would all comply. I think it's sheer ignorance at work here. As an earlier poster noted, this is the ONLY retreat the entire season; the days of honor guards marching shows are long gone in DCI. IMO the right information is simply not getting to the right people in a timely manner.

B####### about it here accomplishes absolutely nothing (except to reinforce the "dinos are just a bunch of cranks" stereotype).

Since the presentation of colors is voluntary within DCI, not required, it would be up to the person choosing to do the presentation to do the research on proper protocol. As for insulting the "dinos", this issue is akin to say figuring out the proper way to address a dignitary. If I am to meet a high level person from Japan, and I just have a layman's understanding of Japanese culture concerning bowing, and I curtsy toward the dignitary's wife, I would actually insult the person even though I "thought" I was being respectful. Therefore, protocols are very important, and the responsibility of learning them correctly is in the hands of the person engaging in the behavior.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I didn't read the whole thread) but.....

We get mad at people for disrespecting our flag, but we constantly berate other countries. This sounds hypocritical for me. Secondly, this is a free country, right? If they do not have a flag, that should be their choice, for whatever reason. Call me rude, communistic, or whatever, but I find it highly irritating that we have this false bravado that we're the best country out there. If you were in another country, I believe you would want to represent your country and flag no matter where you were.

In my opinion this may be, perhaps, the most immature thread on here. It's drum corps international, not drum corps 'MERICUH and no one else. C'mon you guys.

• Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I didn't read the whole thread) but.....

We get mad at people for disrespecting our flag, but we constantly berate other countries. This sounds hypocritical for me. Secondly, this is a free country, right? If they do not have a flag, that should be their choice, for whatever reason. Call me rude, communistic, or whatever, but I find it highly irritating that we have this false bravado that we're the best country out there. If you were in another country, I believe you would want to represent your country and flag no matter where you were.

In my opinion this may be, perhaps, the most immature thread on here. It's drum corps international, not drum corps 'MERICUH and no one else. C'mon you guys.

Please reread my posting that appears just before your posting; you might want to rethink your words. Also, I do not see any berating of other countries in this thread; the free exchange of ideas in this thread indicates that all of us enjoy the free debate afforded to us in this country; as for if this is the best country or not, try engaging in this type of free exchange banter in Iran and see what happens.

• Like 2

Stu, you're not the only one in this thread. I'm talking in general, this forum tends to follow the trend of "this is the tradition, and any other way is WRONG". Call it the straw that broke the camel's back, but I am starting to absolutely hate coming to this forum. There used to be threads that I could enjoy because it was all about drum corps, but now you can't even get on lolcorps without someone saying they're offended by the dumbest thing.

• Like 2

A friend with me fairly new to the active actually pointed out the omission … and asked why …

Simply question is ... why did the Blue Devils and the Blue Knights not present the Stars and Stripes?

If it was an oversight on their part or just a decision not to present, then so be it ...

Simply question only needs a simple response ...