Coming back from the edge (DCA version)

I really do not blame them. If I had a corps that could do 6-10 shows a year without travel expenses I would too.

Without travel expenses? Any time a corps goes anywhere there are travel expenses. Get over yourself thinking that it is so golden up here in the northeast. The chip you constantly wear on your shoulder is old at this point.

• Like 1

I believe the next step is going to be having more corps from the NE region traveling to shows outside their normal territory.

How about a show in Virginia in August to get together the NE and South regions? Maybe a show in the Ohio-Indiana area mid season to bring together MBI and the Govies with the NE region without them having to travel 26 hours. It would be exciting to have 2 major shows mid way between regions throughout the year that can connect corps together that normally wouldn't see each other until Prelims

I believe the fans in the NE region are starting to tap out also. There are more smaller shows with smaller crowds now than there used to be. Scranton still had open seats on the 50 this year! Toms River and Secaucus couldn't have had more than 300 people each, and half of those were traveling with the competing corps that night.

How about the possibility of a DCA contest in Lucas Oil Stadium during DCI finals week? The crowds are already there, the venue is already established. The problem with that unfortunately is scheduling. Not only would that intrude into the work week for the DCA Corps but when would there be time at the Stadium for that show? Saturday afternoon maybe, or Sunday? And DCI and DCA could offer fans the option to purchase a combo ticket package for both circuits and focus on getting some butts in the seats for that show. I think that would be an awesome experience for the drum corps community as a whole if the logistics could be worked out.

Bump

Without travel expenses? Any time a corps goes anywhere there are travel expenses. Get over yourself thinking that it is so golden up here in the northeast. The chip you constantly wear on your shoulder is old at this point.

Oh please. Cry me a freaking river why don't you.

Travel expenses for the NE corps are marginal compared to the other regions travel expenses. I can't speak for every corps in the region but I can tell you of the three corps I have been involved with the travel budget is one the largest single chunk of the entire years budget and is probably anywhere from 30% to 40 % of the budget.

As for chip on my shoulder I do not wear one. You love to twist my words so continue to do so. You are very good at twisting.

Have a nice day.

Edited by camel lips

Travel expenses for the NE corps are marginal compared to the other regions travel expenses. I can't speak for every corps in the region but I can tell you of the three corps I have been involved with the travel budget is one the largest single chunk of the entire years budget and is probably anywhere from 30% to 40 % of the budget.

As for chip on my shoulder I do not wear one. You love to twist my words so continue to do so. You are very good at twisting.

Have a nice day.

no offense, but there are some hauls up here. Why do you think Empire didn't come to Scranton? Thats 4 plus hours not to mention tolls on top of gas. When dealing with NY, PA and NJ, you MUST factor in tolls. aint exactly cheap for busses or trucks either.

I know travel is an issue for the corps in other regions. But just because we look all tight on the map up here doesn't mean it is.

• Like 2

no offense, but there are some hauls up here. Why do you think Empire didn't come to Scranton? Thats 4 plus hours not to mention tolls on top of gas. When dealing with NY, PA and NJ, you MUST factor in tolls. aint exactly cheap for busses or trucks either.

I know travel is an issue for the corps in other regions. But just because we look all tight on the map up here doesn't mean it is.

4 hours?? Really??? That's a haul?? REally?????

I use to travel to rehearsals and it was over 6 hours ONE WAY. Rehearsal!!!!!! I know some that traveled a lot more than that to get to rehearsal.

Have a nice day.

There's no twisting involved. You said northeast corps can travel to 6-10 shows a year without expenses. And that is not even close to true, no matter what spin you try to put on it.

Edited by LegalEagle50
  • Like 1

4 hours, Jeff?

Trying to make a short 4 hour ride sound like a marathon to someone living outside of the NE isn't going to work.

Rice

• Like 2

4 hours, Jeff?

Trying to make a short 4 hour ride sound like a marathon to someone living outside of the NE isn't going to work.

Rice

But not exactly "without travel expenses" either.

The only corps that doesn't incur travel costs to DCA right now is Empire...everyone else has SOME cost attached...those aren't easy drives regardless of how far you're traveling. Even SoCal Dream going to San Diego for a show meant spending money...maybe not by the organization, but for the members driving themselves.

4 hours, Jeff?

Rice

Did you factor in the cost of hauling 2/3 busses and 1/2 trucks thru the tolls on the PA turnpike, NY Thruway, NJ Turnpike or Garden State Expressway? Or Sun on the LIE?

trust me, when you add in traffic, those drives can take longer and do cost a lot.