The Show You Wish You Could've Seen Live in 2011

Hard to ADVANCE a schedule though when the corps have planned their whole day around hitting the warm-up site and the gate at a certain time.

Good point.

Living in Korea, where my 12.5 meg Internet connection is the bottom of the line in cost and speed, I was dazzled by Fan Network's beta high-speed feed. FN is the best investment I've made in a long time, and kudos to DCI for it. Even though I'm limited to watching what the camera is watching, I doubt that I'd ever be a more sophisticated viewer than their cam-switching engineers are.

I'd like to see all the shows live. But I'd like to see them at a small venue, and I don't really care if they're early and a little unpolished. The energy is what turns me on, and you'll never get that on FN or even at Indy, where you're just too far away. I haven't seen any of the shows at a theater, but many of the comments here suggest that managers are afraid of blowing speakers. :thumbdown:

FN lets me watch the shows over and over, at my leisure, absorbing comments here and watching, the next time, for what's been commented on.

I guess if I were really, really a fanatic, I'd obsess about differences between semis and finals. But live or not, I couldn't ever tell the difference in how the shows should be scored from the second-last evening to the finals.

In short, I would like to see all of them live, sitting on bleachers at a high-school football field. :smile:

The Scouts is the corps I really wish I could've seen. Couldn't make it to any shows this summer, due to a move that's even farther away from any DCI contests than where we were before. The Fan Network was a wonderful substitute, and I'm thrilled to have that. But of course it ain't the same as experiencing it live.

Hard to ADVANCE a schedule though when the corps have planned their whole day around hitting the warm-up site and the gate at a certain time.

I understand your point here, but strongly disagree. Usually when there is a threat of weather, all the corps staff are monitoring possibilies of a cancellation, and making sure members are safe. I am sure most corps would disrupt their schedule a little bit, to get the chance to perform instead of getting rained out. Most corps are within a few blocks of the stadium within an hour of performance time, and most people that are going to attend the later corps shows are usually in the stadium close to intermission time, and would hear an announcement.

Luckily my wife and I got to see every corps this year at least once, and most 2-5 times during the season. I have also watched everything available on fannetwork several times. I will say there are several corps that you could never capture the emotion and excitement of by watching on fannetwork. I think 4 shows that really demonstrate this, and most people would have wished they had seen if they didn't get to see live are....

Cadets, very nice even on fannetwork, but absolutely amazing in person. The visuals on fannetwork, don't even begin to capture the intricate details of this show, and how great the contrast in the uniforms added so much to the show.

Carolina Crown, this show just blew everyone away who was there. You can't even begin to capture the crowd excitement from the moment they entered the field.

Santa Clara Vanguard, I can see why some people may not have enjoyed this show after their viewing on fannetwork. But alot of times when I read comments about this show, it seems like you can really tell who saw it live, as opposed to who saw in online or just in the theatre. I think the fact that so much of this show relied on dynamics, that it doesn't come across on fannetwork. Not sure how theare showing would have been, but am pretty sure it would not have even come close to comparing with live.

Madison Scouts, from start to finish, the energy level of the show and the crowd was spectacular.

4 other shows that would definitely have been missed had you not seen them live were

Cavaliers, Blue Knights, Glassmen, and Blue Stars. These shows seem to have had elements that other shows didn't have, that just didn't seem to be captured on fannetwork.

Edited by MisterA

Madison & BAC

Really wish I could have seen cavaliers, madison and crown in person. Wish I would have gone to finals. Then again, airfare and hotel's plus food and ticket prices is a tough sell for a few nights of drum corps. Especially when seeing quarters live in the theatre is only like 15 bucks a person.

Madison and Crown. Living in California means I'm screwed on corps traveling west, and I've never seen Madison live before, the only corps I never have seen live.

For all of you Indy and regional folks.. You guys are so freakin' lucky! :)

For those of us who weren't able to go to these big shows and see a majority of the corps, which show(s) do you wish you could've seen live? Obviously seeing these shows in the theater or on the Fan Network is totally different than seeing it live. Although I got to see many of the corps live that I wanted to this summer, I'm actually really really sad that I wasn't able to see The Cadets live this year. Oh, so so sad. And I'm not even a super huge Cadets fan! They just had suuuuch an amazing show this year. But yeah, really wish I could've seen The Cadets live. Sad times. The Cavaliers and Madison Scouts are right up there too. Wish I could see me some upside down corps members. And that hit in Nature Boy! Ooooohh. So good. Yeah, and Madison's closer? Words can't even describe that. Shows that I've already seen live but would kill to see again are Santa Clara Vanguard and Phantom Regiment. Oh, 2011, you are such a good year for drum corps.

So, what shows do you wish you could've seen live this past season? (or have seen live more than once?)

Quarterfinals