Irene Thread

Hi everyone,

If you are affected by Hurricane Irene, please let us know. The DCA family needs to stick together on this one, and we all want to see everyone safe in Rochester next week. I'm not much for discussions about competitions or rankings, but know that all of you out there on the east coast are in our thoughts. I lived through many hurricanes, and I know personally how devastating they can be. Keep us posted!

I'm in North Jersey roughly NW of NYC. At about 2:30 it's still just a bad rainstorm, but the area that used to be the eye is still way south of us. From what my grandparents in NC have told me, the Outer Banks bore the brunt of it and she blew out considerably over land. Quite a sight seeing a video of my favorite fishing pier there one minute and gone the next! Best of luck to everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line, stay safe guys!

Good Morning everyone. OK....I was able to get a couple of hours sleep.....it is 6:15am Sunday morning. Winds have picked up some, but nothing like I expected. Power is still on here in my town on Long Island, so I am very thankful for that. Rain not as bad as I thought as well. The eye isn't exactly here yet, but expected to make landfall somewhere on the Queens/Nassau border in the next 2-3 hours...about 10 miles from me. So far, the only thing that went bad for me is that half the electricity in my house went out....I went to the basement and flipped the circuit breaker, and now all is fine. I'll keep you all updated as the day goes on.

This is a great idea for a thread. Based on my experience living in Florida, there may not be a lot of activity here for a while. When the power goes out, the computer doesn't work so well:))

I left Delaware yesterday to come to Reinholds PA (ironically near where the Reading show was supposed to be). Rain started here around 5pm and the heavy winds came around 7:30 (right about show time). Power was lost for about a half hour and winds continue here, but all in all not a bad storm.

I do however worry about some other Delaware residents including Dr. John Kreitzer of DCA. I know that he lives in Lewes where a confirmed tornado damaged over a dozen homes. Hopefully he will let us know his status ASAP.

Still have power in my area (Clifton, NJ). Sideways rain at times. Some branches down and LOTS of leaves off trees. A tiny bit of water in the basement.

I feel very lucky. :)

OK....here we are at 9:30 am on Sunday morning. Eye has passed over us, and I was very fortunate. Just a couple of downed leaves and tree limbs and alot of rain. One of my friends further out on Long Island was not as fortunate. A tree fell on her house. Not sure how bad the damage is, but I know it's not good. She said major damage.....I'll be checking in on her later. Other than that, I think I made it through unscathed!

While I wouldn't call hurricane Irene a bust, it appears not to be as bad as advertised

While I wouldn't call hurricane Irene a bust, it appears not to be as bad as advertised

Media propaganda.....don't ya just love it!!! LOL

Islip, NY checking in - I have Electricity, still very windy. There is a tree down across the street, lots of branches down.

Both my sisters are without Elec, my older sister lives further east and there is a lot of damage in her neighborhood