Corps in the studio?

I just stumbled across an audio recording of (the title said) Phantom Regiment's horn line playing "Amazing Grace."

Phantom Regiment doesn't have an official corps song, I gather, but this and two others have served unofficially.

Seems like it couldn't have been recorded on the field or in a gym.

Did they do this in a studio? Do other corps do the same thing? "How sweet the sound" doesn't even come close to describing how lush and moving this arrangement and performance is.

They have several recordings like this available free via their app.

Amazing Grace, 1812, New World Symphony, Nessun Dorma, Ave Maria & Elsa's.

I think they're studio recordings.

We use "studio" recordings to mean anything not moving on the field, but a lot of these are outdoor "standstill" recordings. Phantom has several - off the top of my head they did Amazing Grace and Fire of Eternal Glory for the Ornaments in Brass CD, they've done recordings of their 2003 show for the "On the Road" DVD and of the 2004 recording for the Tour of Champions CD/DVD, they've done preview recordings (Sinissippi Park or however it's spelled) for 2008, 2009 and 2010 and they have end-of-season standstill recordings for 2010.

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten - what I wouldn't give for a standstill recording of their '05 Rhapsody show. Or more accurately, what I *would* give...

Mike

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten - what I wouldn't give for a standstill recording of their '05 Rhapsody show. Or more accurately, what I *would* give...

Mike

Amen to that.

My favorite PR show of all time that's for sure. Just wish they'd have a darn HD audio of it or something. It just sounds like...... computer on the FN. It gets distorted and stuff static-ish. YUCK.

Somewhere out there exists the "holy grail" of studio recordings...1985 Suncoast Sound, recorded just before the corps left on tour. Not only does it have the entire Florida Suite, the version of Midnight in Miami has the original ending (pre-cadenza) that had the snares on toms the whole time. It's also got the battery playing the Jungle Love version of Spider. It was sold on cassette at the souvie booth all summer.

If anyone has a copy, I'd gladly pay for it, or a copy of it.

I just stumbled across an audio recording of (the title said) Phantom Regiment's horn line playing "Amazing Grace."

Phantom Regiment doesn't have an official corps song, I gather, but this and two others have served unofficially.

Seems like it couldn't have been recorded on the field or in a gym.

Did they do this in a studio? Do other corps do the same thing? "How sweet the sound" doesn't even come close to describing how lush and moving this arrangement and performance is.

State of the Art II. Hopefully they still sell it.

This has BD and SCV full shows from 2000. Also has Send in the Clowns. greatness!

No Crytstaaaaaaaal! In Adagio. These 2 shows are in my top 3 for both corps and I listen to these versions ALL the time.

I know Carolina Crown has done a few stand still recordings. I'm not sure where I got them from, but I have brass only standstill recordings from 2005 and 2007 that sound AMAZING!