Baritones vs. Euphoniums

The main difference is that baritones have a more cylindrical bore, which means the tubing stays the same diameter longer, so they play with a brighter timbre similar to a trombone. Which is why it is typically used on upper tenor brass splits. The euphonium uses a conical bore, meaning the tubing has a more gradual flare, giving it a rich, warm timbre. The King and Jupiter euphoniums project very well. I typically prefer a mix of both so you have a gradual blend of timbres from top to bottom, giving the brass a sound similar to a British style brass band.

Oh boy does that bring back memories. I posted something similiar to that before on DCP and somebody flamed me. I couldn't believe it.

Euph's all the way they sound better and are just a boss of an instruments, takes a beast to play and march it.

• Like 2

Euph's all the way they sound better and are just a boss of an instruments, takes a beast to play and march it.

Back in 2005 I obtained an old Freelancers K-70 euph (complete with dings & dents from their buckles) and have been using it ever since on lead parts in various alumni gigs-- it's fun & loud. :cool:

I vote Both, split up 1 2 (3) part on Baritone, or 3 (4) on Euphonium. That way you have a section to blend with the Mellos, and a section to blend down to the Tubas.

Wait, why not have tromboniums too? They would blend better with the middle/high brass. Then the baritones could could play 2nd part, and third part could be played on euphs to blend with the tubas.

• Like 1

Heck, why not march ALL Euphs, using French Horns in the middle horn section to create the 'blend' between.

Works for me...

This is where experimentation could take place. This is something that should be considered innovative today.

• Like 1

Euphs are a man's instrument, takes a real beast to carry around and play those things. :thumbup:

We had an 8/8/8 split, and it worked pretty well. I don't mind when corps go all euph, but most of the horns I've played get a little funky in the upper range, so a mix of baris and euphs is usually the better choice, at least for me.

• Like 1

This is where experimentation could take place. This is something that should be considered innovative today.

SCV 2001 was like that, they marched all euphs, and then mellos and french horns in the middle voices. Sounded pretty good, I always thought

Euphs are a man's instrument, takes a real beast to carry around and play those things. :thumbup:

We had an 8/8/8 split, and it worked pretty well. I don't mind when corps go all euph, but most of the horns I've played get a little funky in the upper range, so a mix of baris and euphs is usually the better choice, at least for me.

I'm a past euph player and from what I've noticed, euph is not for everyone and will get the best of people. Euph should only be played by someone that could physically handle it, if a whole line is playing it then your gonna have people dieing out there on the field barely keeping it up let alone playing it.

• Like 2