PR names Carichner as brass caption head

I think it is a good hire. They'll still be very similar pedagogically, Christian's background is in low brass, he's been there before (and shown how much he can grow as a teacher since then), he spends a ton of time on tour, etc.

There is a little bit of reservations from the PR camp from what I have gathered. I hope those people keep in perspective that Christian did not have a drum corps background until he started teaching with PR, and that judging him on his first 90 days ever being around drum corps, wouldn't be a very fair judgement.

It isn't the hire I wanted, but I think it will work out just fine, until we see Mr. Feagin again in a few years.

I guess i didnt even realize Bybee was gone! While im sure Carichner and Hill will be just fine, my big concern is with the huge amount of staff turnover over phantom. They have done very well in that they have survived the inconsistancy in staff so far, but eventually, its gonna take its toll. In the past few years, pretty much all of their major positions seem to have new faces. Something seems fishy over at the PR camp.

I'm more concerned with the rest of the brass staff than TT himself. I think at academy he basically had a bunch of pr vets he taught in 06 as his techs... of whom I don't really think are qualified to TEACH the regiment horn line...

Just not sure he knows the right people to put together a more than solid brass team. But we haven't seen them named yet so I don't know guess...

He is an incredibly gifted musician, but the non drun-corps background makes me a bit apprehensive.

• Like 2

I'm more concerned with the rest of the brass staff than TT himself. I think at academy he basically had a bunch of pr vets he taught in 06 as his techs... of whom I don't really think are qualified to TEACH the regiment horn line...

Just not sure he knows the right people to put together a more than solid brass team. But we haven't seen them named yet so I don't know guess...

He is an incredibly gifted musician, but the non drun-corps background makes me a bit apprehensive.

Not True. Sure he had a couple Phantom Vets but in reality most of the Academy staff are Academy or BD vets

Not True. Sure he had a couple Phantom Vets but in reality most of the Academy staff are Academy or BD vets

That's not entirely true either...if you look at the Academy website, the 2011 staff is still listed. On brass staff: 1 BD vet, 1 Academy vet, and the rest are from Regiment. If you're talking about the Academy staff in general, sure there are more Academy/BD vets sprinkled throughout...but the brass staff was mostly PR vets.

Who knows if Christian will bring his crew over from Academy, or if he's got a new team in place...either way, Christian is a fine teacher and he will no doubt bring his "A" game to Regiment. I'm looking forward to hearing the hornline under his leadership.

• Like 2

I am sure they will do just fine. I am sure the same people were reporting the sky was falling when PR lost their drum staff last year as well. Folks, it's 10 minutes of music played from the brass TOPS..and how many months to prepare? ...get a grip.

• Like 1