1991 Blue Devils is DCI.org Download of the Week

As quirky (I think that's the only word to really describe it) as this show is, at least they marched and played at the same time. Watching that 2010 program, I think I could count on both hands how many times that was done.

• Like 2

:worthy: -------------> The "Bopster"
  • Like 1

As quirky (I think that's the only word to really describe it) as this show is, at least they marched and played at the same time. Watching that 2010 program, I think I could count on both hands how many times that was done.

Yikes :thumbdown:

• Like 1

1991 Recap for Finals

................................GE Brass GE Perc. GE Vis Total GE

Star of Indiana ...............14.6........9.5.......14.8.......38.9

Cavaliers........................14.4........9.5.......14.9.......38.8

Phantom Regiment.........14.8........9.4.......14.7.......38.9

SCVanguard...................14.3........9.6.......14.0.......37.9

Blue Devils.....................14.7........8.6.......14.6.......37.9

............................Field Brass Ens. Brass Total Brass

Star of Indiana................9.8........9.8........19.6

Cavaliers........................9.5.........9.3........18.8

Phantom Regiment..........9.4.........9.7........19.1

SCVanguard...................9.1.........9.2........18.3

Blue Devils....................9.7........9.9........19.6

...........................Field Vis Ens. Vis Total Visual

Star of Indiana................9.5.........9.7........19.2

Cavaliers........................9.6.........9.8........19.4

Phantom Regiment..........9.8.........9.5........19.3

SCVanguard...................9.5.........9.4........18.9

Blue Devils.....................9.2.........9.9.........19.1

This is my favorite BD show! I rode my bike out to mars every chance got and spent whole days soaking up this show. The original drum feature they had in the spring was the best. It was a take on John McLaughlin's Meeting of the Spirits. I guess they had to scrap it because it was too hard.

I loved it, but it was considered pretty darned esoteric at the time compared to the rest of the field. Still, I prefer that to BD 2010, though they are similar. I know, I'm a hater. shutup.gif ( Sorry )

I wouldn't consider that being a hater. That is a very good point. I also like this show better than 2010 but have you really listened to 2010 on a high quality stereo? pop that sucker into a good DVD player and a Sherwood receiver and some AR speakers and prepare to say whoa! I think that the 2010 season is one of the best sound recordings made yet. (79 was another really good effort by DCI)

I agree with the majority that this was the finest horn book and horn performance I've ever heard. I've not heard every BD performance in the last 10 years, but it seems only 2010, based on responses, might compare. As I pointed out to Boo Boo a couple of days ago by Email, people seem to be forgetting what a wild show the Cadets did that same year with Short Ride in a Fast Machine by John Adams and Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs by Bernstein, so BD was not the only Corps, as Rondo, said on the Broadcast, pushing the envelope.

To me, the precurser of Bird and Bela was probably Duke Ellington and if you want to hear the super high note guy of all time, catch Cat Anderson. He could play so high he got into dog range. Of course his lips looked like chopped liver . John Faddis is and Maynard was good, but they don't/didn't have Cat's range. Another precurser was the Boyd Raeburn Band. Also, Igor Stravinsky did a piece for Woody Herman, but it got panned because the Maestro had no idea how to swing.

The album containing B&B is $9.57 on Amazon. See Mike's link.

Not to everyone's taste, but to each his own. I'm not to change anyone's tastes. Just trying to be informative and offer MHO.

Kevin Doherty

thumbup.gif