1991 Blue Devils is DCI.org Download of the Week

I feel privileged to have been able to experience that show live in Allentown. ( But then again, it was a privilege overall to experience most shows live, that year) I was just getting into corps as a teenager at the time. Hence, every show I saw was giving me my first impressions and overall identity to corps. While Crossmen and Cavaliers were my favorites in terms of entertainment...II remember along with Star's show, this one left me asking "how did they do that?"..It just floored me with the technicality in brass.

I was introduced to Blue Devils though their 88 show, on VHS. While I saw that at the time as a phenomenal brass show, seeing them live for the first time in 91 just validated that by a thousand.

Boo thanks for making this the download of the week. One request if anybody knows....A few years ago, I remember seeing a video on the Fan Network about BD's 91 season. It was ahead of it's time, as I recall, because it was one of the first to document a corps season, much like Tour DVD's do today. I haven't been able to find it since that time on the FN. I was thinking it might be on BD's site? Does anybody know?

side note....there is a very nice recording of the ballad (sans percussion)- over on the " tube".

I wouldn't consider that being a hater. That is a very good point. I also like this show better than 2010 but have you really listened to 2010 on a high quality stereo? pop that sucker into a good DVD player and a Sherwood receiver and some AR speakers and prepare to say whoa! I think that the 2010 season is one of the best sound recordings made yet. (79 was another really good effort by DCI)

No doubt the quality of sound coming out of their horns was off the charts. I really like the news instruments. I just don't care for the arrangement of 2010 couple with the visuals...

High quality performance all around for sure though!

I feel privileged to have been able to experience that show live in Allentown. ( But then again, it was a privilege overall to experience most shows live, that year) I was just getting into corps as a teenager at the time. Hence, every show I saw was giving me my first impressions and overall identity to corps. While Crossmen and Cavaliers were my favorites in terms of entertainment...II remember along with Star's show, this one left me asking "how did they do that?"..It just floored me with the technicality in brass.

I was introduced to Blue Devils though their 88 show, on VHS. While I saw that at the time as a phenomenal brass show, seeing them live for the first time in 91 just validated that by a thousand.

Boo thanks for making this the download of the week. One request if anybody knows....A few years ago, I remember seeing a video on the Fan Network about BD's 91 season. It was ahead of it's time, as I recall, because it was one of the first to document a corps season, much like Tour DVD's do today. I haven't been able to find it since that time on the FN. I was thinking it might be on BD's site? Does anybody know?

side note....there is a very nice recording of the ballad (sans percussion)- over on the " tube".

I think you're referring to the Member Yearbook in 2 parts .. found on the BD Mediabox. You have to be a member of their site to view it.

For my money .. I'm still a sucker for the 88 and 93 show moreso than 91. Regardless, these were all top notch efforts by Downey and BD. I'm sure I'm not the only one who longs for a return to this style of arranging for the corps.

• Like 1

For my money .. I'm still a sucker for the 88 and 93 show moreso than 91. Regardless, these were all top notch efforts by Downey and BD. I'm sure I'm not the only one who longs for a return to this style of arranging for the corps.

Me too!

I would definitely love to see a return to this style of arranging for the hornline. It wouldn't sound exactly the same either with the changes to pit writing, but I'm ok with that.

Edited by jjeffeory

Love this show. But again I love most of Blue Devils shows. Just looked at the scores because again, in all those years since 74 this was thier lowest placement. Man 9th in Percusion, they really did cost them the title, becuase the GE Drums also brought that score down too.