With Millions of Choices...

Stu

ByRequestSM.gif

I think I'll take Boo out for some waffles!

• Like 1

How many of those 10 million charts are covers? I'm guessing a bunch of them are "Yesterday", the megahit Beatles chart that's the most covered song ever. A lot if not most

rap and hip hop will not translate to drum corps. Many more may just be an arranger's nightmare looking for a place to happen. And, as previously mentioned, a lot comes down to arranging and performing rights before we even get close to synching difficulties.

Yes, there's plenty of new, un-performed or under-performed music out there. But would it work in drum corps?

Garry in Vegas

Even if you whittled away at the ten-million with "all" of those reasons you cite (lets' say 95%), it would still leave around half-million or more charts to choose from and many of those would certainly be a good fit for drum corps.

> So you are claiming that audiences had never heard ESOM before, one of the biggest songs on several charts with several versions the past few years and that has also often been used by several HBCU marching bands (and other marching bands)???

Never claimed that; my claim is that it had not been previously played by a corps in DCI and therefore DCI audiences had never heard a corp play ESOM.

> How many people do you think spend time or even have access to music libraries?

Those seeking to design shows better be listing to a plethora of materials.

> And these millions of songs…once they edit them down to appropriate voicing, tempos and moods to fit shows, how many are left?

Let's say you eliminate 95% of Itunes charts through that process, that still leaves half-million to choose from.

> Why do all corps need to play all new music every year? That’s not diversity, that’s rather limiting.

Never said all corps need to play new music; I was just wondering why some charts are played over and over again by either the same corps or by multiple corps over multiple years.

> Drum corps shows are primarily for entertainment if they educate, great but if you’re looking for education from drum corps shows.

So people are only entertained by what they have heard before and cannot be entertained by something new?

> I’m glad you’re so musically superior, so musically diverse and thanks for let us all know that you are… but I like the hits !!!

Good grief; where in my post am I claiming elitist superiority?!? My listening tastes go from DEVO to Dave Matthews, from Mannheim Steamroller to Chic Corea, from Mozart to Glass. All I asked is why corps choose to play certain charts multiple times, nothing more!

> I think this elitist attitude is hurting drum corps as much as anything - I stopped judging people by their musical tastes about the time I took my Tom Tom Club posters off my dorm room wall

Again, where is the elitist attitude in merely asking why, for example, variations of Simple Gifts (which I love by the way) has been ran through so many permutations by so many corps? It "is" a valid question!!!

> Why do you hate top 40 audiences?

Show me in my posts where I hate top 40 audiences, or where I hate top 40 music for that matter; show me; I mean it; show me!!!

Edited by Stu

According to Boo it is audience driven just like top 40 radio; according to Brasso it is a comfort issue just like Cheerios; according to jjeffeory it is because most all music is garbage. Sorry, but not buying any of those arguments and here is why: Design teams do not pole the audiences to make choices like radio stations; while the audience does set taste limits they do enjoy stuff never heard before, for example, they had never heard Empire State of Mind before and went nuts; and any person who has spent any time in a music library listening to various CDs, or has spent time at a used CD store listing to music, will attest there are thousands and thousands of great charts out there which are wonderful and transferable to the field but have never been attempted. So again, sorry, but I am not buying into those reasons!

Well, it's not the only reason, but it's been a consideration in the past and seems to be more of a consideration in recent years...especially this year.

And that doesn't mean the focus is on pieces many already know. I'm thinking of works that have become new audience favorites even if most of the audience members haven't known the works before.

But your point is well taken and well thought out, for which I give you credit.

...Stu, did I pee in your Cherrios or something?

tongue.gif

Brasso eats Cheerios, I am partial to Grape Nuts with Strawberries. But come to think of it, they did have a slight whang to them this morning :w00t: All I am getting at, and I have mentioned this in two other posts, even if you eliminate 95% on Itunes that still leaves half-million great charts to choose from!!! Yet many corps still choose to recycle and I was wondering why; nothing more.

The older we get, the greater we were.

Sentimental is drum corps middle name.

It holds us back and keeps us from growing, but it is the reality of DCI. Old people write the shows, young people march them. Most of those old people marched and have favorites that were the favorites of those who wrote their shows, and the cycle continues...forevermore.

My grandfather smoked a pipe. My father smokes a pipe. I smoke a pipe. The sentiments of those before us, eventually become our own, unless we consciously push against that.

The older we get, the greater we were.

Sentimental is drum corps middle name.

It holds us back and keeps us from growing, but it is the reality of DCI. Old people write the shows, young people march them. Most of those old people marched and have favorites that were the favorites of those who wrote their shows, and the cycle continues...forevermore.

My grandfather smoked a pipe. My father smokes a pipe. I smoke a pipe. The sentiments of those before us, eventually become our own, unless we consciously push against that.

....what's being smoked in the pipe is the real question.