Electronics in the 2012 season

For those who want to switch and have the time/ability, that is fine. IMO they shouldn't have to. DCI corps should permit any instruments. Just MHO, of course.

Or, people that truly want a place for WW players to march and compete during the summer in big, independent marching music organizations can start their own organization. Call it "Summer Band International".

Oh, WW can be heard just fine when the book is written well and they are staged properly. The band I arrange for has been a WW-heavy band for decades and does just fine in competition. I don't really care about the distant past origins of corps; what is on the field today is far different from those origin. I care about the here and now. Just MHO..I know others think differently.

I doubt WW will be legalized though, until such a time that the corps admins think it crucial for the continued survival of DCI....a long way away. Unlike the use of amps and electronics, there is NO support or demand for WW by the instructors. They had wanted A&E long before they were ever approved by the directors.

Generally you and I are in lock-step on DCP BUT....

You're pretty much ignoring ensemble balance. Corps are already fielding 70 to 80 brass. How many WW's will it take to create a balanced ensemble at reasonable dynamics? Yeah -- IMO *that's* why we won't see marching WW's. You just need too many of them.

I suppose corps could reduce the number of brass players to achieve balance but I don't think that's very likely.

You're currently "stuck" with a WW-heavy band -- but (honestly) would you like to have more brass players? Darn tootin' you wouldcool.gif

• Like 1

You're pretty much ignoring ensemble balance. Corps are already fielding 70 to 80 brass. How many WW's will it take to create a balanced ensemble at reasonable dynamics? Yeah -- IMO *that's* why we won't see marching WW's. You just need too many of them.

I suppose corps could reduce the number of brass players to achieve balance but I don't think that's very likely.

You're currently "stuck" with a WW-heavy band -- but (honestly) would you like to have more brass players? Darn tootin' you wouldcool.gif

it only takes 1 of each woodwind part to balance the hornline since you are allowed mic "small ensembles"...

yet even the corps directors themselves minus 1 or 3 don't want woodwinds. not cost effective for 1, and it will drive away a lot of fans.

Which is why I posted this:

"I doubt WW will be legalized though, until such a time that the corps admins think it crucial for the continued survival of DCI....a long way away. Unlike the use of amps and electronics, there is NO support or demand for WW by the instructors."

It's just MHO that DCI should permit any instruments. I don't care what the directors think in forming my opinion, nor does my opinion mater one iota in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, the numbers of the various instruments would be adjusted to provide a balanced sound. And, IMO if they add WW they should remove the size limits or bump them up even higher.

I happen to like my WW-heavy band just as it is. :thumbup:

Plus the micced cello we used last year and are using this year! :thumbup:

I was thinking about this, too. It's a musical event that doesn't represent all musical instruments.

After you get drum corps to become fully representational, could you work on achieving that for other segregated groups, like string quartets?

• Like 1

I doubt WW will be legalized though, until such a time that the corps admins think it crucial for the continued survival of DCI... a long way away. Unlike the use of amps and electronics, there is NO support or demand for WW by the instructors. They had wanted A&E long before they were ever approved by the directors.

Would DCI not be in existence now if amplification hadn't been permitted in 2004?

Would DCI not be in existence now if amplification hadn't been permitted in 2004?

What? Where did I imply any such thing? Amps were legalized after a decade or so of requesting them by the instructors. So there was a lot of support for them at various levels, unlike WW.

After you get drum corps to become fully representational, could you work on achieving that for other segregated groups, like string quartets?

and Ohio State's band?

:tongue:

yes.