Shout out to the 1977 Garfield Cadets

I was just going to say, that era of BOSCRU was not the single most approachable group of young people on the planet, what with the Whitey Bulger stares on retreat, etc.

The "Whitey Bulger stare" comment reminds me of my first exposure to the corps pride/confidence. We visited Racine over the July 4th weekend in 64. During retreat, I believe we had the Royal Airs next to us. When the Cavies were announced in third and without moving my head, you could see many of the RA's looking at us. After the retreat, we learned they were surprised that we didn't move after having just learned we had beaten the previous years national champion. Wish the results would have been the same in Cleveland! http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1964119

I thought the 1964 Midwest tour of the Boston Crusaders was a stroke of genius ... solid corps ... thought your placement at the WO was way too low ... Tony S had his champion picked before prelims even started in Cleveland ... and the Chicago VFW setup in 65 was even worse ... YIKES! ... Boston, IMHO, was the most innovative corps of the late sixties ... and the players' interpretation of Dennon's charts was unique ... the 65 version of "Zing" was amazing ... such expression ... such mood swings ... simply a pleasure to listen to ...

Andy "sorry to hijack the thread" Lisko

Boston, IMHO, was the most innovative corps of the late sixties ... and the players' interpretation of Dennon's charts was unique

Don't forget "drum" instructor Jerry S. and all his innovations from two bass drums attached and played on their sides by Tony Smith, to the bells a few years later.

In regards to the Whitey Bulger stares comment. That reference is best left alone when it pertains to the Crusaders. Their is a history there.

:huh2::huh2:

Edited by rayfallon

No doubt that the introduction of the horizontal double bass in 1967 caused a paradigm shift in drum corps percussion ... I first saw/heard them at the Union City show and knew things would never be the same ... in fact, I was sitting with Danny Raymond Sr. and we just looked at each other as Tony played the intro to La Mancha on them ... classic ...

:-)

I remember the first time Tony marched in a contest (the Princemen's Standstill in the old Boston Arena) he basically said if people start laughing when he marches out, he would keep on marching until he left the floor at the other end!

What happened to 77 Garfield? My apologies if I diverted what was an interesting thread.

Yes Bsader, it's your turn to take one for the team. I really, really want to learn the history between Whitey and probably the rest of the Winter Hill Gang, and the Crusaders. Five of them (don't know if Bobby Daluca from RI was a member, but his cell was next to Frank Salemmi's) were in the first unit I was assigned too as a CO in Plymouth.