Teal Sound Announces changes

I wonder if the people that posted comments in this thread read the whole article or just read the 2nd post in this thread?

I have.

According to WFTV the girl was---quote---a consenting adult in the state of florida.

Regardless, equally as bad in my book.

Thankfully many states have rules on the book that bar this from happening with a student/teacher at any age.

• Like 1

I wonder if the people that posted comments in this thread read the whole article or just read the 2nd post in this thread?

Here is the whole article.

Band teacher admitted texting sexually suggestive messages to student

The former Winter Park marching band director resigned after admitting to texting a student at least 12 times.

April 02, 2010|By Erika Hobbs, Orlando Sentinel

A Winter Park band director admitted to school-district officials last month that he sent sexually charged text messages to one of his students, and said that it was all "an error in judgment."

Among the dozen messages he sent to her in February:

•"I just want to grab you up. Hike up your dress. Well you know the rest."

•"I can't wait to see you naked. You're so beautiful."

•"We just keep talking as friends because I don't want to lose you. Then when things can work we see where we're at?"

Joel Moody, 31, a popular band director of Winter Park High School's marching band, resigned March 18, about two weeks after another Winter Park student reported to a teacher that she had seen sexually suggestive text messages Moody sent to one of her friends.

That friend is an 18-year-old International Baccalaureate student, and a member of the band.

In a resignation letter to Superintendent Ronald Blocker, Moody said he was leaving to attend graduate school.

However, records from the school district's internal investigation during the first weeks of March show that Moody also admitted sending at least 12 text messages to a female student after copies were shown to him. He said it was "an error in judgment."

No charges have been filed against Moody. Winter Park police have said that no victim came forward to file a complaint. A spokeswoman from Orange County Public Schools said the district ended its own investigation because Moody resigned.

He could not be reached for comment.

District records show that their own investigators, as well as those from the Florida Department of Children and Families, determined that the messages were sent after the student's 18th birthday.

In a March 10 interview with school-district investigators, the female student, who is not named, said that sending Moody text messages was a regular practice for her and for other students.

"All of band leadership had his number," she reported.

She contacted him, she said, when she was under stress about her advanced classes, and Moody would offer academic advice.

Most of the messages he sent her were innocent, but at times he would "go a little out of the boundaries," the investigator's report showed.

When that happened, the student said she would respond with a "surprised face" in her reply or write "wow."

The questionable messages would subside, and then Moody would start up again, the student said.

Investigators also reported the girl said, "It would also end up to them considering the circumstances. He would say it's not a good idea. That they don't want to get each other in trouble so they can't tell anyone."

The student said there never had been physical contact between her and Moody and said she had not heard whether similar messages were sent to anyone besides her.

DCF officials recorded 12 messages that they said Moody sent to the girl between Feb. 13 and Feb. 25, and turned them over to school-district officials. The district released them Thursday.

I have.

According to WFTV the girl was---quote---a consenting adult in the state of florida.

Thankfully many states have rules on the book that bar this from happening with a student/teacher at any age.

well it is Florida..beautiful state but a weird place 2 :blink: and our activity has a few winners there also. :doh:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone....I remember reading that somewhere.

• Like 5

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone....I remember reading that somewhere.

yeah the act is one thing, the arrogance is another some of these walk around STILL like the are the 2nd coming....crazy..one would think a low profile and a little humility would be in order, instead people and smaller circuits hire these people to lecture and preach as if nothing happened. Disgusting on all levels.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

yeah the act is one thing, the arrogance is another some of these walk around STILL like the are the 2nd coming....crazy..one would think a low profile and a little humility would be in order, instead people and smaller circuits hire these people to lecture and preach as if nothing happened. Disgusting on all levels.

I won't argue against that point at all. It's totally valid. But let's face it - this guy is going to have to walk around with a target on his back.

• Like 2

They say "all sin" is the same in the eyes of the Lord, but I can gaurandamntee you that the refill I helped myself to without paying the .29 tonight at the gas station (because the attendant was literally asleep at work), is much different than trying to have sex (or maybe having sex), or talking about having sex with a child or a student.

These violate the sanctities and oaths of our profession.

They are inexcusable acts and EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT to be upset by them. PERIOD.

• Like 6

I just find it odd that Teal Sound would mention this in a press release. The whole thing just seems to be handled ineptly.

bad PR, innocent or not, can kill an organization

• Like 1

I have.

I agree. If you're 18 but still a high school student, it's just not right.

I should be good; I've never sent inappropriate text messages to my students. Maybe because it's wrong. And creepy.

I won't argue against that point at all. It's totally valid. But let's face it - this guy is going to have to walk around with a target on his back.

As he should. When you do things like this, that's what you get. It's about choices and consequences. One consequences is that you should have to leave the field of education. Who cares if that messes up your life; you made the choice and that choice comes with consequences.

• Like 2