Staff or Talent?

BD wins because they usually have one of the easiest books every season, and they draw talented players because of their name and success.

You can have a challenging book, but if you don't have the players it will sound bad. (SCV 2010)

You can have a poor show in general, but with great players they can do well (BD 2011)

For amazing shows its always a combination of great design and musicianship, look at phantom 2008

Long story short, you don't have to be amazing in order to win every year. you just have to know how to play the game. Don't put something out there that is too challenging for the corps, if your end goal is to win at all costs. A good design team can make or break the year.

....than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

• Like 5

....than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Hear, hear!! Perfectly said!

• Like 1

BD wins because they usually have one of the easiest books every season, and they draw talented players because of their name and success.

I completely agree... I mean, back in my day our horn books were so easy we'd throw in a few quarter notes mid-July to try to beef it up a bit.

• Like 3

I completely agree... I mean, back in my day our horn books were so easy we'd throw in a few quarter notes mid-July to try to beef it up a bit.

lol

not sure there's a better way to deal with children taking cheap cracks at corps than this.

• Like 2

Then is it really the best designed show for that corps? No. writing for the level of your ensemble to be successful is one of the hardest things about design.

Personally, I think it's the members...you can have the best designed show on the field, but if the members don't have the talent to perform it, it isn't going to score well. I feel this is one MAJOR problem that a majority of OC corps don't recognize-they design and program shows that are well beyond the abilities of their members. The delicate balance is to design a show that your members will be able to "grow" into so that it is challenging and therefore educational, but also something that can be mastered and cleaned by a certain week in August. To do this also requires a dedicated and talented administration and instructional staff...but it's like a sports team, the coaches and the front office aren't the ones on the field playing the game.

Edited by euphplayer07

It's the sculptor, not the clay.

Cadets used to get kids that couldn't blow their nose and repeatedly turned them into champions.

Sculptors know how to pick the right clay. There is a huge difference between a kid with instinctive musical and physical talent who just hasn't been molded yet to the level of the Cadets and a kid who truly doesn't have the range of talent needed to perform a Cadets-caliber show.

The stories of a corps molding kids "who couldn't blow their nose" into champions is not singular to the Cadets, I bet.

Also consider that what it took to be a "champion" BITD is laughable compared to what it takes to be a champion today.

That's not a dig to you dinos out there; it's simply an indication of how much the activity has evolved, changed, and become more competitive over the years.

Ummm ya I will openly admit I'm not the biggest BD fan. BUT, their book is far from easy my friend. I can't completely comment on drill since I honestly still have no idea what crazy hard drill truly looks like, but I can say their straight lines are scary. And since I"m a drummer I can't say that their horns are perfect, but I can tell they are good. From my drum perspective, they aren't my favorite, but still good. And no clue with the guard. I may not always like the way they write up their shows (2010), but they definitely don't have EASY shows. They still come out swinging in difficulty.

Then is it really the best designed show for that corps? No. writing for the level of your ensemble to be successful is one of the hardest things about design.

Kinda same discussion on the DCA side with the Class A (65 members or less) group. The more sucessful corps have shows designed with a smaller group in mind instead of trying to ape the full sized corps. So instead of writing for the talent level it's writing for how to present an effective show with half the bodies on the field.

Kinda same discussion on the DCA side with the Class A (65 members or less) group. The more sucessful corps have shows designed with a smaller group in mind instead of trying to ape the full sized corps. So instead of writing for the talent level it's writing for how to present an effective show with half the bodies on the field.

This is relevant to DCI how? You could've talked about Open Class but instead you went back to the fact that you march(ed) DCA. We get it.

• Like 1