Allentown: What's the big deal?

Allentown does have a place in amny people's hearts but one of the biggest attractions is it is outdoors. So many big shows now are in domes, it's just not the same.

It's the parking... :devil:

Seriously what I liked was the view from the stands. High enough to get a great view of the drill unfolding but close enough you didn't feel a mile away. Usually sat towards the end zone but still had a great view, not mention close to the souvie sales.

Can't get to Mikes article for the moment (work net nanny) but will read later. And should add I haven't been there for a while but some of my corps mates do an annual "pilgramage" to Allentown every year.

Jeff: Can you put in a good word for me at a tailgate party next year? I can bring the cheese.

Mike,

if Pineville is in operation again next year, I'll let you know. To get there, basically get out of your car, instead of heading to the stadium, head to the building behind where you park and walk over to the RV's.

27th upset BD's undefeated streak there in '80. Why isn't that show on the Fan Network?

I believe the 80 DCI East show was filmed by the local PBS affiliate. Maybe they still have a copy. I think my dad does

27th upset BD's undefeated streak there in '80. Why isn't that show on the Fan Network?

If I'm reading you correctly, you're wondering why the Allentown performance isn't on the Fan Network. If that's the case, it's only been a few years that DCI has had the technology available to film many of the shows during the the season and put them up on the Internet. There was no demand for that to be done back in 1980.

But in the meantime, you might want to be checking out DCI.org on Monday, October 24.

PS: Hey, person who's enjoying downrating me all over the place for no good reason; I've got no power to time travel and tell DCI back in 1980 that they should be recording the regional contests for the coming Internet age. And if I know an answer to a question someone asks, I'll continue to provide insight because that's just the kind of person I am. And if that requires me to ask people at DCI, I'll continue doing that as well, because I believe every sincere question deserves an answer. I'm sorry if you happen to disagree with that philosophy.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 4

Allentown does have a place in amny people's hearts but one of the biggest attractions is it is outdoors. So many big shows now are in domes, it's just not the same.

and i was a hater in the other thread for saying so

Mike,

if Pineville is in operation again next year, I'll let you know. To get there, basically get out of your car, instead of heading to the stadium, head to the building behind where you park and walk over to the RV's.

Does Eckertsville still exist?

PS: Okay, this is ridiculous. Why would anyone downrate me for asking if Larry Eckert's Eckertsville was still around? That's what he called it himself when I interviewed him for the DCI.org article I referenced later. Sheesh.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 3

Does Eckertsville still exist?

never heard of it. I just know Pineville is what we named the area where we have tailgated due to the pine trees

If I'm reading you correctly, you're wondering why the Allentown performance isn't on the Fan Network. If that's the case, it's only been a few years that DCI has had the technology available to film many of the shows during the the season and put them up on the Internet. There was no demand for that to be done back in 1980.

But in the meantime, you might want to be checking out DCI.org on Monday, October 24.

Yes Mike, you are reading me correct... and I know there was no Fan Network in 1980 :blink: but 80 Allentown, and many other years were filmed and DCI does have the video (somewhere in their storage, according to one of their reps) which could be included in the historical section on the FN.... Who wouldn't love to see that?

Edit for p.s..

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Allentown is my favorite venue, hands down :thumbup:

Edited by bdon15