Proposed DCI Reorganization

Now that you have indicated what experience you have in producing income you certainly do have credibility (at least for something other than being a highly successful entrepreneur who generates capital with your brilliant leisure is more important than work ideas)!!! Thank you for being honest!!!

Well... I was an employee until I was about 23. Since then I haven't ever been an employee. ;-)

• Like 1

All this discussion about process is useless. What needs done gets done, that's all.

Sounds easy, sure. Hard to do. True.

Daniel's method fits his life, it doesn't fit everyone's. But the issue is that there are steps to accomplishing the goal, regardless of the time you have available to devote to it.

We're still talking about the goal and haven't even decided that it's the right thing to do. Once decided, and once there's will, time will be allotted and the path will begin.

We don't know what time is available at DCI. But even if it's just 15 minutes a day each, times 6 employees and interns (and don't forget the possible input of the corps to the process - they have to buy in for it to succeed), that an hour and a half a day of input time to the task. Is there anybody who can really say that they can't find 15 minutes during their day to devote to a process?

I suspect everyone here knows how much can be accomplished if you could devote 7 or 8 hours a week to a task. So the process will take more than a year to be running on all 8 cylinders, so what?

DCI is now trying to compete on administering the ticketing of shows. They compete against Crown for service provided and cost. That's a business they never thought of as "making money". It was always a business they did as part of building a tour. That revenue source was always available, but they've only now begun to maximize that expertise. Anyone who runs a show knows what a nightmare the whole ticketing process can be. There's no question that Crown and DCI add great value to the local show sponsor. We can now spend our energies on providing a better show and gathering support instead of taking ticket orders.

This same process - the process of maximizing the revenue of DCI's operations - is the root of this discussion. Daniel's method of implementation might be different than mine or yours but the goal should be the same.

And the ticket program is an example that needs to run through the organization.

• Like 1

Academia? I've never been to business school (went to music school). If you want to be an entrepreneur... business school is the last place in the universe you should be.

I've never been a manager at any company, ever. About revenue I have generated as an employee... I really have absolutely no idea... but if you were to total up ALL the money I was ever paid in all my years as an employee, it would probably be less than about $30,000. So, if you were being generous and said I made double my salary (which I doubt... I was a ###### employee... would guess I cost them money instead)... then the total would be about $60,000. rolleyes.gif

So you haven't done squat in the business world but continue to spew your "advice" on DCP?

• Like 2

Interesting.

Our show next year is on July 31st, the latest show we've ever had. (And we have a GREAT lineup this year - thanks John!)). In trying to connect our show with the Ohio State Fair, going on concurrently, we discovered that THIS company handles all the talent for the fair, and is now booking for 2013.

You need to check out their client list and talent.

Now, surely I'm not the only one who sees the correlation to this discussion, and I see two angles.

The easy one is that DCI could be this for marching arts, all marching arts, pulling together venue booking and talent scheduling for the entire activity.

Secondly, what if DCI turned over the show scheduling in its entirety to this company? Take DCI out of the scheduling/tour business entirely.

OK, more realistically, collaborate with this company to cross market between activities in exchange for Triangle to perform some of the most duplicative tasks of the DCI tour.

If those staff in DCI who were idled by the collaboration spent their time organizing the marching arts tour and generated more revenue than they were producing prior, it would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

I dunno...I read this thread and i keep seeing the scene from "Back to School" with Rodney and the business professor in my head

I dunno...I read this thread and i keep seeing the scene from "Back to School" with Rodney and the business professor in my head

Well, if that's your only point of reference, I suppose that's understandable.

I'm more reminded of:

"Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are actually doing it."

• Like 1

Well, if that's your only point of reference, I suppose that's understandable.

I'm more reminded of:

"Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are actually doing it."

And my question is: What has Danielray done, or is doing, which indicates his credibility within business practices? In the movie "Back to School" at least Rodney Dangerfield had created a multi-million dollar business with his unorthodox practices! What has Danielray done, or is doing, which supports his position?

Edited by Stu