Question re: Music Rights

youre right on all accouts. The sales drew lots of attention BUT I would also say WHy shouldnt an artists or whoever want to protect their work or decide for themselves if they do or dont want it reproduced by various other forms of music outlets. Why shouldnt someone be paid for their work to be used. Also have the right to give it away IF they choose.

In the modern era "drum band" industry, money doesn't talk - - - it screams.

.............. and Drum Corps Hall of Fame decided that drum corps photographer Moe Knox is not eligible for induction because he sold his photos to Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World, thus he "made money from drum corps." (Never mind that other Hall of Fame members "made money from drum corps" including (but not limited to) Larry Kershner, Ike Ianessa, Gerry Shelmar, Ed Denon, Joe Alletag, Don Angelica, Bernie Baggs, Rick Morey, Wes Hobby, Doug Kleinhans, Bob Zarfoss, Steve Cooley, Art Hlywa, Robby Robinson, Sr., Neal Smith, Ray Eyler, David Kampschroer, Scotty Wild .....

Money ... that pesky stuff.worthy.gif

Not always. Tan Dun charged us $75 to arrange any music we chose from "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" alst year with the band I teach.

OTOH...this year's Sweeney Todd show...the rights cost us, I think, $375 per song...and we are doing four in the show. A band parent who loves the show paid the whole thing for us!!! :thumbup:

.............. and Drum Corps Hall of Fame decided that drum corps photographer Moe Knox is not eligible for induction because he sold his photos to Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World, thus he "made money from drum corps." (Never mind that other Hall of Fame members "made money from drum corps" including (but not limited to) Larry Kershner, Ike Ianessa, Gerry Shelmar, Ed Denon, Joe Alletag, Don Angelica, Bernie Baggs, Rick Morey, Wes Hobby, Doug Kleinhans, Bob Zarfoss, Steve Cooley, Art Hlywa, Robby Robinson, Sr., Neal Smith, Ray Eyler, David Kampschroer, Scotty Wild .....

100000% agree on Moe belonging in the HOF.

"Screaming Cash and the WDCHOF":

If there was a list of individuals that "Made Money From Drum Corps" (And are honored with membership in the WDCHOF), Ray G. Samora would most likely be at the top.

The man was the driving force behind:

Fleetwood Records (Which are now reissued as CD's)

Drum Corps News

The "Evening With the Corps Shows" at Carnagie Hall & the Masque Theatre

The World Open

The Danny Thomas Invitationals

The "Senior World Open"

SOMEWHER along the line he MUST have made a buck or three..... (From Drum Corps)

Elphaba

lol... jumbled? Not!

First when Kidsgrove did the USA tour was not all their music original? except for a quick melodic line here or there?

as for the copyright laws... I'm afraid it's like drum corps here in the 70's and 80's... fat, dumb and happy... (and politely ignoring the laws) DCI with their increased media sales, movie house outlets for simulcast and before, very visable TV broadcasts brought much needed attention to the activity - this was an unwanted result... now we have too many hungry lawyers... could we send some to England?

Tom, your right..it was original with phrases from movies such as Catch Me If You Can and the Incredibles etc. Also surprisingly The Simpson's Movie where the start of the closer was from! (

) At Kidsgrove we do get permission for the arrangements, I'm not sure about the other UK corps though and I'm sure the lawyers would have a field day if they were to visit but who knows what other corps are doing.

I really do feel sorry for Madison with what happened this year, surely artists would be proud that people want to play their music?

I really do feel sorry for Madison with what happened this year, surely artists would be proud that people want to play their music?

The artist, Alicia Keys, had no say whatsoever in the matter with the video issue concerning the Scouts; it was the company that owned the video sych rights to the song which would not give permission.

The artist, Alicia Keys, had no say whatsoever in the matter with the video issue concerning the Scouts; it was the company that owned the video sych rights to the song which would not give permission.

Ah right, some people really do need to let their hair down.

Not always. Tan Dun charged us $75 to arrange any music we chose from "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" alst year with the band I teach.

OTOH...this year's Sweeney Todd show...the rights cost us, I think, $375 per song...and we are doing four in the show. A band parent who loves the show paid the whole thing for us!!! :thumbup:

right on,...........and actually for the $1500.00 it cost for the four tunes, much of that goes to the administrative work needed to provide the paperwork,............I would guess only a small percentage actually gets into the writer's hands,..........maybe enough for a nice dinner somewhere in Manhattan............and if you are only buying the rights for one tune from a particular artist for a couple/few hundred,...........how much do they really end up with?,..............fifty bucks?

100000% agree on Moe belonging in the HOF.

Not to completely change the subject of this thread, but Moe Knox absolutely belongs in the DCHOF!!

Did he make money? Yes. I can clearly remember giving him a buck for a photo of my corps back in the Fifties. Yeah, he made a ton of money off his photos. Riiiight....