An App for WHAT?

My questions:

What if we had computerized judging?

Is such an application possible to render?

I know there would be a ton of variables, but imagineers, tech savvy folk, and those who have advanced knowledge of the judging sheets and criteria, perhaps we can collaborate on whether such a system is possible and what form it would take and what context/to what extent it would be used in favor of/alongside human judging.

Update as of 6/26/2012:

The categories I think it would judge are the visual and music categories, leaving general effect to the judges[/crowd?], with the "human element" remaining largely in tact. As far as my Original Post goes, I was thinking that the computer's results would be more of a guide that the judges and audience can reference.

Computer judging for the visual aspect:

The computer would have knowledge and dimensions of the field, and proportions and basic body data of each member and what drill spot they had. This body data includes all the data that goes into one's BMI as well as some kind of quantified physical standard of human athletic ability.

"If player W did X perfectly while doing Y perfectly, then the difficulty index would be Z based on that particular person's capability compared to the athletic expectations of average people of those same characteristics,"

That would then be juxtaposed and integrated with the actual achievement. The actual achievement would be based on the following:

The drill written for the corps would be uploaded and compare the accuracy of what is on the page to what is on the field.

If, however, a guide point was on the wrong dot but everyone followed and the form still looked "correct" (in relation to everything else) the computer would not log this as a mistake. This would compensate for any mistakes OR additions/manual changes to drill that may happen during the day.

Overall symmetry and smoothness of form movement would be compared to the ideal. If a certain drill segment was completely overhauled or if a major portion of the show was re-written in one day (Phantom 09) then the computer would base achievement on the overall symmetry in addition to the already-judged synchronicity of all areas where time is expressed (vis. ensemble), be it by a body movement or a note played by any instrument or a downbeat of a drum major's hand.

Colorguard work and visuals would be judged in the same fashion as above, only the work would not be integrated into the system. It would be based on general synchronicity only.

The program could be designed to not pay any attention to actors/soloists or other characters.

Input would be a video camera that leads to a digitally recreated version of the particular field on the computer, and the performers would also be digitally recreated(...?) to proceed with the measurements described above though I'm not sure if this is possible; the computer may just have to use the 2D Pyware in addition to all the variables we could think of if it's not.

Music is a whole different animal.. but we can still upload it onto computers so input IS still technically readable. Dynamics would be judged based on consistency, evenness of tone and sound based on staging, etc. The input would be the microphones set up at the Regionals and Finals.

Edited by Barifonium

hrothgar always seemed to think so. judges are just fooling themselves if they don't have the same reactions he does to corps, and therefore all people must also have the same reactions to corps.

nobody on earth has unique aesthetic responses. we are all mindless automatons, and we must all adhere to the chemical responses our brains produce, and react exactly the same as everybody else or we are just fooling ourselves because our biology has made us all into human computers. we must all comply with this worldview. we must all comply with this worldview.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Lance, we already have "the Borg" in DCI, you can't create a new one :tongue:

This is my fear: The robots will go rogue and start eating the pit percussion instruments, starting with the woodblocks. It can happen.

android-robot1.jpg

• Like 2

This is my fear: The robots will go rogue and start eating the pit percussion instruments, starting with the woodblocks. It can happen.

No worries, can't happen. The robot can't eat 'more cowbell' lol

No worries, can't happen. The robot can't eat 'more cowbell' lol

You underestimate the willpower of a robot that knows it has an iron deficiency.

• Like 1

My questions:

What if we had computerized judging?

Is such an application possible to render?

I know there would be a ton of variables, but imagineers, tech savvy folk, and those who have advanced knowledge of the judging sheets and criteria, perhaps we can collaborate on whether such a system is possible and what form it would take and what context/to what extent it would be used in favor of/alongside human judging.

From a technology perspective... a web-based app that is accessible from any tablet or mobile device for recording scores is pretty straight-forward.

For a getting people to use it perspective... difficult.

Anyway, would be best to just make something like this web-based... not an app tied to any specific device or platform.

This can and likely should be done... as everything is natively in a digital format and immediately distributable (though that point is actually a negative.... depending on who you are talking to).

EDIT: aaaaaaaah... fully-automated computerized judging, not computer-assisted. No thanks.

Edited by danielray

android-robot1.jpg

At least the waffles will be safe! :thumbup:

• Like 2

You are absolutely right. Someone needs to think of the waffles!

Oh I agree completely! :tongue:

• Like 1