An App for WHAT?

I personally think it could be fun to try to create an interactive app that helps you narrow the score at competitions. Rather than fans just conjecturing, they can put in their opinion and out pops a score. It may give you a nice pat on the back when your conjectured score, the app's score, and the actual score coincide. And if they don't, then it'll give us a lot more to talk about here.

Can you Imagine- "My iPhone and I are better than these judges....." Ahh the controversy begins.

Not a bad idea to create a fun app that lets fans in on the judging - of course it wouldn't count toward the real scores. Just an interactive way to get the fans involved a bit more. I love reading people's predictions on scores, especially when they're at the show. Once again to be very explicit, I'm saying this would be a fun game for fans to participate in without it actually affecting the scores. Just a nice way to let a fan's opinion be validated(or debated) by the judge's opinion.

I work as a creative at a pretty well known digital shop and we're always creating experiences that get the consumer involved more than just a traditional campaign. We created this fun app for the UEFA Champions league for Heineken:

Now imagine if fans could download a DCI Fantasy Judging app and get awarded titles and badges based on how similar their scores are with real ones - even get a shout out at the end of each competition along with some cool prizes. DCI is like any professional sport where tons of passionate fans exist, and I just don't think they've come up with innovative ways to let us fans show off/vent our passion for the activity.

Hey Mike Boo.... did anyone ever find a copy of that Drum Corps comic book from the mid-70? The Twilight Zone type story where the corps of robots competes against the humans (MANCORPS) had computerized judging.

Then again it was the tic system so the computers were doing M&M X (execution for you younger folks).

Hey Mike Boo.... did anyone ever find a copy of that Drum Corps comic book from the mid-70? The Twilight Zone type story where the corps of robots competes against the humans (MANCORPS) had computerized judging.

Then again it was the tic system so the computers were doing M&M X (execution for you younger folks).

I've got a copy.

• Like 1

This is a repeat-post.

I like the idea of the game aspect of audience members having their own sheet/ questions to answer and a computer spitting out a score!

The categories I think it would judge are the visual and music categories, leaving general effect to the judges[/crowd?], with the "human element" remaining largely in tact. As far as my Original Post goes, I was thinking that the computer's results would be more of a guide that the judges and audience can reference.

Computer judging for the visual aspect:

The computer would have knowledge and dimensions of the field, and proportions and basic body data of each member and what drill spot they had. This body data includes all the data that goes into one's BMI as well as some kind of quantified physical standard of human athletic ability.

"If player W did X perfectly while doing Y perfectly, then the difficulty index would be Z based on that particular person's capability compared to the athletic expectations of average people of those same characteristics,"

That would then be juxtaposed and integrated with the actual achievement. The actual achievement would be based on the following:

The drill written for the corps would be uploaded and compare the accuracy of what is on the page to what is on the field.

If, however, a guide point was on the wrong dot but everyone followed and the form still looked "correct" (in relation to everything else) the computer would not log this as a mistake. This would compensate for any mistakes OR additions/manual changes to drill that may happen during the day.

Overall symmetry and smoothness of form movement would be compared to the ideal. If a certain drill segment was completely overhauled or if a major portion of the show was re-written in one day (Phantom 09) then the computer would base achievement on the overall symmetry in addition to the already-judged synchronicity of all areas where time is expressed (vis. ensemble), be it by a body movement or a note played by any instrument or a downbeat of a drum major's hand.

Colorguard work and visuals would be judged in the same fashion as above, only the work would not be integrated into the system. It would be based on general synchronicity only.

The program could be designed to not pay any attention to actors/soloists or other characters.

Input would be a video camera that leads to a digitally recreated version of the particular field on the computer, and the performers would also be digitally recreated(...?) to proceed with the measurements described above though I'm not sure if this is possible; the computer may just have to use the 2D Pyware in addition to all the variables we could think of if it's not.

Music is a whole different animal.. one I'm too tired to dissect right now =P

Edited by Barifonium

I embrace technology but when I'm at a live performance I go offline. If I'm on an App during a performance, what will I miss if look down on a device? I may miss that moment in time! I rarely take photos during a performance. I'm there to watch and enjoy the experience eyes wide open. Judges may have to look down once in a while. We, the audience, shouldn't miss a beat :)

Just to not wait to long......I wasn't serious in my earlier post. Well.....okay, there may be some ideas that would be good. The save money part would be nice. LOL

Now watch this post grow. I see some people (DR) in here who will have the solution.

Hey Mike Boo.....you are still a hip writer. Not sure if you remember that I said that to you back in the 80's. Thanks for being here. You are one of the few that I love reading your posts.

Keith, I in no way ever said that in my version of this app that it would replace judging, but rather be a fun way for the audience to connect with the fun that6 can come along with "guessing the scores before they announce them". It would just be a harmless "fantasy" app and would have no effect on the score, much as crownguard stated. I personally have no issue with the judging system in DCI or DCA and would NEVER propose that the judging system be replaced by audience members. And Linda, I can totally see your point also. After thinking more about it, an app like that would mean that half the audience would be typing on their cell phones during the performances, which may be a bit distracting to other audience members who would like to just enjoy the show technology free. Still, I think it would be FUN and INTERESTING to have a "fantasy judging" app as long as the audience uses some courtesy and does not take away from others watching the shows.

Eric

Just to not wait to long......I wasn't serious in my earlier post. Well.....okay, there may be some ideas that would be good. The save money part would be nice. LOL

Now watch this post grow. I see some people (DR) in here who will have the solution.

Hey Mike Boo.....you are still a hip writer. Not sure if you remember that I said that to you back in the 80's. Thanks for being here. You are one of the few that I love reading your posts.

Thanks, Keith. I try to stay rad to chill down with da' kiddies. Green?

• Like 1

My question:

Why?

Fred O.

My thoughts exactly.