Visual effects we have yet to see on the field

Life size manikins attached to real performers mimicing what they are doing...will make the corps look 3 times bigger (kinda like the commercial on TV right now for that new travel website)

Union H.S. did it... It was awesome

(winterguard)

I always thought that VK '86 (the year of their James Bond show) would have been a PRIME opportunity for a drum major (in that case, the one & only Mr. Ryan H. Turner) to parachute in using a guided chute...Ryan comes into the stadium under a Union Jack chute, then tucks and rolls as he hits the ground just as the CG captain cues the hornline for the initial Bond Theme hit at ffff ("BAH DAT!!") Along those same lines, if corps can afford all the electronics, someone could likely afford to have some section of their corps rappel down from a chopper.

Tuba players grounding their instruments and picking up drums. Don't worry about the parts, gang; the synth's got you covered.

A push where the kids go right up to the front row railing, get up on risers, and start to climb over into the aisles into the crowd while still playing...that one has Crown written all over it.

Frisbees with a streamer attached to the bottom that would unfurl when you throw it, like a comet. Similar to the Phantom streamers of yore, but these would fly horizontally.

I'd like to see a DM go into the crowd during the show and pick out a random young kid, have that kid stand in the aisle (or on the podium) with the DM and have the DM turn to the kid and & say, "Ok, now move your arms like I'm doing." The kid gets into it, and the DM would step behind the kid and stop while the kid/"guest DM for the evening" keeps "conducting" for a few counts. Meanwhile, the DM turns to the crowd and winks. This would be even more effective if the corps got louder when the "little guest DM" is on stage, or if it was near the conclusion of the piece so the kid could see the crowd reaction from the field side.

Edited by TRacer

1. A high wire from 30 yl to 30 yl about 20 feet high. Highly trained Color Guard does ensemble work on it. Soloists may also be involved.

2. 12 human cannons, pneumatically activated or spring loaded, six at each goal line, sequentially fired inline while appropriately bombastic music is played. Synth is involved with tremendously loud booms through speakers synchronized by wireless to cannons. ( a quantity of understudies may be necessary, particularly during camps) Could be cool if each projectile were holding large and long streamers. Skydiving training may be needed depending on trajectory. Parachute deployment would add to effect.

3. A trapeze rig for high flying visuals.

4. A standing large triangular or square prop structure with 80 or so openings in it. Opening covered with various colors of thin paper. At a point in program entire horn line disappears behind prop in an appropriate form and prop falls back over them, perhaps during a solo or percussion feature. Hornline will reappear through paper covered holes. Of course, the hornline must be in an absolutely perfect form. Hardhats may be required at camps.

:help::tounge2:

The Human Slinky

There will always be something new and captivating that we haven't yet seen on the field. I'm amazed by this act and was wondering what it might be to see an entire guard (or a number of guard members) do something like this on the field.

There have to be other examples out there of fascinating visual effects we've yet to see on the field. What are they?

nothing new here,...........I remember seeing this type of act done a long time ago on the Ed Sullivan show by a pantomime troupe called Mummenschanz,...........

Edited by Gary Matczak

Ouch. Straight to the heart, Mike.

I've always visualized ways to use the vertical height of the field.

How about a scaffolding system that arcs the entire field and pushed back as close to the back line as possible, like the field is the amphitheater. Raise the drill and make it go vertical.

I recognize the logistics nightmare of building a scaffold that could go up, vertical, 25 yards. So then I started thinking about DCI doing it so every show with this layout.

And if they can do this...

statue-of-liberty.jpg

looks like a drum major podium I saw at a band championships today

nothing new here,...........I remember seeing this type of act done a long time ago on the Ed Sullivan show by a pantomime troupe called Mummenschanz,...........

Whether or not it's totally new, it's still totally cool. IMHO, something like this could be quite fascinating on the field, where things that are new to us aren't always new to the world at large.

Whether or not it's totally new, it's still totally cool. IMHO, something like this could be quite fascinating on the field, where things that are new to us aren't always new to the world at large.

My flashback moment of the day is Black Light Theatre or Famous People Players :)

Many moons ago we did an indoor show where we entered a darkened arena with multicoloured flashing lights either inside or attached to our instruments... sounds a bit naf but it was quite cool at the time.

UV light (or black light as you guys call it) with either white or neon uniforms would be a cool effect... black uniforms with white helmets, gloves & shoes would be cool. Add some neon guard flags and it would look pretty amazing!

Not sure we'd be allowed to turn the stadium lights off tho.

I'm always amazed at how when a corps does something non-traditional it's always "been done before", but when 18 of the 22 WC corps at finals play traditional (or old school) music with traditional marching....."been done before" is not mentioned. Is a puzzlement! :blink: