Cavies Sans Gaines?

Love to hear from all the "0 - no effect" voters.

FWIW I think it costs the Cavies in two ways:

1) Effect from drill. Lots of the best moments in a Cavies shows are straight effect from drill.

2) Effect from guard staging. IMO no one is even close to Mr. Gaines in this category. The guard contribution to the show is magnified tremendously when they're in the right place at the right time. Additionally the Cavies guard also participates in "real drill" far more than any other guard in DCI.

I get that nothing else is changing and that all the *other* things that made the Cavies successful are still in place

But (IMO at least) ...

In a lot of respects, Gaines *was* the Cavies identity.

• Like 4

FWIW I think it costs the Cavies in two ways:

1) Effect from drill. Lots of the best moments in a Cavies shows are straight effect from drill.

2) Effect from guard staging. IMO no one is even close to Mr. Gaines in this category. The guard contribution to the show is magnified tremendously when they're in the right place at the right time. Additionally the Cavies guard also participates in "real drill" far more than any other guard in DCI.

I get that nothing else is changing and that all the *other* things that made the Cavies successful are still in place

But (IMO at least) ...

In a lot of respects, Gaines *was* the Cavies identity.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

I think what they call in college football " The Program" doesn't change. Musically, Cavaliers have been the most all over the place corps in terms of themes and selections during the last decade. Change is constant with them, overall, with their identity in music. But the drill, marching style, movement....I think it stays the same- they will still be the most innovative along with Cadets. the new writer will have a tremendous role to fill, no doubt. But the trademark innovative drill they have had - it will, still be there.

I think the 2012 drill will still be the most technically demanding of any corps. And unless they are playing something along the lines of their ballads from 93 and 94 as a theme - I think we will be getting those showmanship moments like we saw in Fight Club, Pressure, This is my Rifle...Stilts etc... I don't see this changing.

Its something we have come to expect from them since 2000.

What I would like to see in drill with them.... A disciple of Gaines ( but I am not sure there was one) or someone who takes more of a Pete Weber approach.

Has there been a new writer announced yet?

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1

Consensus: Cavaliers during the Gaines period.

garden_of_eden.jpg

Consensus: Cavaliers during the post-Gaines period.

dharavi-industry-615.jpg

They had better waffles when Gaines was there too...

• Like 2

Ah yes, I remember well when Saucedo, Bertman, and Casella left, and under their replacements, the Cavaliers became a 6th place corps. :cool:

The organization has a method of doing things, and even though MGaines' contributions to the corps have been huge, they haven't existed in a vacuum. Given that every other caption head and designer is still there, and that Koter is still program coordinator, it's unlikely that you'll see a swing out of the orbit they've been in for the last 25 years.