Cavies Sans Gaines?

they play the most tepid version of Hall of the Mt King I have ever heard, it's like why bother with it at all (Regiments 79 shows the missed potential of this piece).

they need some flutter tonguing....

Consensus: Cavaliers during the Gaines period.

garden_of_eden.jpg

Consensus: Cavaliers during the post-Gaines period.

dharavi-industry-615.jpg

So you're saying it's still gonna be as cluttered as a George Lucas movie but less colorful. j/k

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that my reactions to the Cavies show this year is not reflected by the judges' take thus far, but I feel like their weakness this year is far more on the music side of things than the visual.

I agree with cowtown that they seem to have buried a lot of the great music on their program through odd arrangements, but they've also buried their battery and brass behind a lot of overwritten and overamped synth parts.

Like I said, no idea if it's affecting their music scores, but it did affect my own reaction to their music. Visually, I thought the show was right in line with early performances of the past three years' worth of shows, which seemed to be moving in a new direction visually anyway (not wildly different, but more ornamented -- more baroque, perhaps).

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Perhaps but unlikely. Anyway...

I think it will continue to impact them but I also think that they're not doomed to 8th place. Remarkably enough competing at shows can give you some idea of what to fix and I think they'll finish better than 8th :-)

Edited by corpsband

I didn't want to upset anyone by digging this up. i confidently voted "0 - no effect" back when this was originally active and some recent discussions reminded me of it. it may have been an old/dead thread but it definitely falls in line with much of what is being discussed today as proof and reassurance that no-one saw this coming or expected this to happen, and that's what a lot of the more recent threads are discussing.

Mr. gaines' resignation may not ultimately be "the reason" for this happening but it seems to be an easy scapegoat. being around since the late 80's I have seen my share of corps go through rough times like this. it happens. It's called evolution and change. everyone likes change. the only people who don't like change are those who see the change happen in a direction that they don't want or don't like. it's nice to see other corps getting a shot at the title and a chance to be among the elite top 6, but it's jarring to see the cavvies in this position and be discussed in such a negative light as of late. so many people chimed in to say that it's because it's his first year writing their drill and they'll need time to get the team to work together. I don't buy that. wasn't the person who wrote for Phantom in '08 in their first year that year? myron started writing for vanguard in 87 and was successful right away. gaines started in 98? or 99? and they won a year later.

So the question is - does the drill writer alone really have THAT much of an impact on a corps success or lack of success?

I don't know mr. gaines from adam but I do hope he doesn't read these dcp posts and feel as if anyone is blaming the new guy for the corps' slower start. i don't know mr. hinshaw either and i hope he doesn't feel like the work he is doing isn't good enough just because of the numbers. I know it's early and there's plenty of season left to compete. I only pray that the cavie kids are having a great and educational summer.

Edited by PepsiTwist
  • Like 1

So the question is - does the drill writer alone really have THAT much of an impact on a corps success or lack of success?

I'll say yes, because of one thing: staging.

The staging of the corps throughout the show has direct and immediate impact on the performance effectiveness of every caption. I can't tell you how many thousands of musical and visual impacts I've heard and seen over the decades fizzle simply because not everyone in the corps is positioned in the show correctly to make the impact have maximum effect. Look at the Blue Devils. I usually think their drill difficulty leaves a lot to be desired--their musical design, too--but their staging is flawless, every single year, every single minute of every show. It's freakish. It's one of many, many reasons why the Blue Devils are always in the Top 3, but make no mistake, it's a big reason.

• Like 2

I'll say yes, because of one thing: staging.

The staging of the corps throughout the show has direct and immediate impact on the performance effectiveness of every caption. I can't tell you how many thousands of musical and visual impacts I've heard and seen over the decades fizzle simply because not everyone in the corps is positioned in the show correctly to make the impact have maximum effect. Look at the Blue Devils. I usually think their drill difficulty leaves a lot to be desired--their musical design, too--but their staging is flawless, every single year, every single minute of every show. It's freakish. It's one of many, many reasons why the Blue Devils are always in the Top 3, but make no mistake, it's a big reason.

understood. i've never been much of a drill guy. i know what looks good when i see it but I don't have the foggiest on HOW to make it work. I didn't get the fan network this year so I can't comment on what they have done so far or how they look. it must really be bad though, from what I gather in all of the discussions. sad.gif

I only pray that the cavie kids are having a great and educational summer.

I've never been the biggest Cavies fan, but I hope we all remember to keep this in mind.

• Like 2