Restructuring the DCI BOD

Fluffy language... all unnecessary in my opinion.

Goal DCI should simply be to make money... let the individual corps be cause driven, and DCI be cash driven. This is the only way to ensure sustainability, as cause first doesn't keep the lights on.

I think a clear mission is necessary in any money-making venture.

But besides that, the statement identifies specific tasks that DCI does (ex-PBS of course).

I suspect your notion is that individual corps or all of them as a group should take on responsibility for all the tasks listed that DCI still does?

Goal DCI should simply be to make money... let the individual corps be cause driven, and DCI be cash driven. This is the only way to ensure sustainability, as cause first doesn't keep the lights on.

Does the newly-restructured DCI operate under a mission statement?

If yes, what, by example only, might it say?

The reference to the PBS broadcast suggests this was written many years ago. Is it still the current mission statement?

Naturally, some of the examples listed in the final paragraph are dated. I don't think any of the preceding language has been changed.

Your opinion, and mine for that matter, does not mean a hill of beans. The fact is that until the DCI Board officially removes that cooperative fraternal agreement from the Mission Statement, all corps directors involved in DCI must act accordingly.

The first step is to appeal to the DCI Board to change their Mission language, then change their internal bylaws, then change their internal policies and procedures, and only *then* can Hop submit a proposal like the G7 or yours on removing lower corps from DCI without any Mission or Procedural conflict.

"make money"

Fine; that means that within the context of their mission as long as DCI corps finish their season in the black (they made money) any corps can be involved within DCI irrespective of their competitive quality. I will go along with that!

• Like 1

Here's the published mission statement DCI provided to me in their press packet:

Drum Corps International is a cooperative fraternity of its member corps.

We seek:

To promote, develop and preserve the operational and artistic standards of the competitive musical sport;

and

To provide organization and leadership for the activity;

and

To develop and successfully operate musical events for the participating drum corps community.

Drum Corps International is the promotional, educational and service arm of the drum and bugle corps activity. It establishes rules and regulations; develops educational programs, such as the PBS broadcast of The Summer Music Games World Championships and the annual Management and Promotion Seminar; publishes DCI Today, a bimonthly publication; produces promotional videos and brochures; organizes judging seminars; showcases the top corps in North America in an annual summer tour; and promotes the activity worldwide.

There are actually two different items here: 1) The Official Mission Statement (beginning with Drum Corps International is through the lines beginning with the word To); and a different item which is more of a Statement of Purpose (the paragraph). The Mission Statement is normally never changed unless the entire aspect of the organization changes (such as a food bank deciding to stop dealing with food and move over to providing house repair services); however the Statement of Purpose will morph over time based on specific services (such as the reference to PBS needing to be removed). No matter what, the Mission Statement and the Statement of Purpose have to be in synch without conflict.

Edited by Stu

There are actually two different items here: 1) The Official Mission Statement (those lines beginning with the word To); and a different item which is more of a Statement of Purpose (the paragraph). The Mission Statement is normally never changed unless the entire aspect of the organization changes (such as a food bank deciding to stop dealing with food and move over to providing house repair services); however the Statement of Purpose will morph over time based on specific services (such as the reference to PBS needing to be removed). No matter what, the Mission Statement and the Statement of Purpose have to be in synch without conflict.

Neither of those matter.... it is only the business plan that matters.

Mission statements are pretty much meaningless, vague buzzword filled phrases that are targeted to a very select group of people.

"Our company's mission is to simplify unique deliverables in parallel with our clients' needs to seamlessly fashion professional catalysts for change."

"Our company exists to interactively build unique and virtual methods of empowerment whilst continuing to enthusiastically integrate interdependent infrastructures."

"It is our mission to efficiently initiate meta-services without losing sight of our original goal to synergistically manufacture leadership skills."

"It is our mission to create paradigms."

satisfied.gif

Neither of those matter.... it is only the business plan that matters.

Mission statements are pretty much meaningless, vague buzzword filled phrases that are targeted to a very select group of people.

"Our company's mission is to simplify unique deliverables in parallel with our clients' needs to seamlessly fashion professional catalysts for change."

"Our company exists to interactively build unique and virtual methods of empowerment whilst continuing to enthusiastically integrate interdependent infrastructures."

"It is our mission to efficiently initiate meta-services without losing sight of our original goal to synergistically manufacture leadership skills."

"It is our mission to create paradigms."

satisfied.gif

Ahhh, but a business plan must not conflict with the mission or stated purpose; especially in the world of non-profit. Example: If a 501c3 corporation Mission claims to be helping inner city youth, but the business plan not only refrains from helping inner city youth but actually takes resources away from them, the corporation should have their 501c3 designation yanked by the IRS. And this should be the case with DCI if their business plan (ie G7 or the D-Ray plan) goes against their own DCI mission or statement of purpose (ie the fraternal co-op agreement).

Edited by Stu